Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wouldn't it be nice if Nintendo's next console had class-leading graphics, no gimmicks at all and an upgrade of the GameCube controller? I can dream. ;)

..for some reason, since the Wii came out I have always wondered if it would be possible to have some sort of variation of a traditional controller but one that could be separated in the middle.. if you get me :heh:

For instance, imagine something a little similar to a Gamecube controller but with a pointer roughly where the Z-Button. The controller could be pulled apart to provide an experience similar to that of the Wii right now or, alternatively, when joined together it would basically be a traditional controller.

I'm not saying it would work, it's just something I think about sometimes :indeed:

..for some reason, since the Wii came out I have always wondered if it would be possible to have some sort of variation of a traditional controller but one that could be separated in the middle.. if you get me :heh:

For instance, imagine something a little similar to a Gamecube controller but with a pointer roughly where the Z-Button. The controller could be pulled apart to provide an experience similar to that of the Wii right now or, alternatively, when joined together it would basically be a traditional controller.

I'm not saying it would work, it's just something I think about sometimes :indeed:

I've thought about something similar before. The controller could be pulled apart, but then could be joined together by magnets or something. If you look at the left hand side of the cube controller, it does look a tiny bit similar to the nunchuk.

I like having it seperated, though. Something in each hand. My hands feel less confined than they do with a standard controller. The next step up though would be to make it wireless.

It's a good idea. What I'd really like is for motion control to be reigned-back somewhat. For example, I'd love a super-advanced gyroscope in each hand to replace the infra-red pointing (and thus the sensor bar).

The gyroscope could convey axis information to the machine, and it wouldn't need infra-red. It could even be wired.

The only problem would be the initial finding out where the TV is in relation to the controller, which is why even with the motion plus, we still need the sensor bar.

But something that feels a little more traditional might be an improvement. Hopefully clicking analog sticks and multiple shoulder buttons on each side (one analog and one digital) will become standard as well. Perhaps it would also be an improvement if they put four face buttons around where the thumb would normally be as well. I found with the Wii remote there just weren't enough buttons that were easily reachable for certain types of games. Although, I have a disease that makes my right hand smaller, so that might be why the '1' and '2' buttons, and the higher 3 buttons on the directional pad feel a little awkward to use for me.

Edited by Emasher

The only problem would be the initial finding out where the TV is in relation to the controller, which is why even with the motion plus, we still need the sensor bar.

But something that feels a little more traditional might be an improvement. Hopefully clicking analog sticks and multiple shoulder buttons on each side (one analog and one digital) will become standard as well. Perhaps it would also be an improvement if they put four face buttons around where the thumb would normally be as well. I found with the Wii remote there just weren't enough buttons that were easily reachable for certain types of games. Although, I have a disease that makes my right hand smaller, so that might be why the '1' and '2' buttons, and the higher 3 buttons on the directional pad feel a little awkward to use for me.

Clickable analogue sticks and multiple shoulder buttons on each side is certainly not something I would particularly want Nintendo to strive for.. though it probably goes against their current flow of making things accessible to everyone anyway :heh:

The PS3 and XBOX 360 controllers both have these features but I find the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to be far superior in design :eek: In all honesty, I think the Sixaxis/Dualshock 3 is a pretty terrible controller.. those triggers are an absolute disgrace! I've never really got on with the analogue face buttons since the days of the PS2 either so, in my opinion, controllers for the PlayStation consoles have gone downhill with each iteration (not including the original which had no analogue sticks :indeed:). The XBOX 360 controller is certainly better than the PS3 alternative, but neither come anywhere near the level of any of Nintendo's controllers! They just always seem to fit :heh:

Having said that, I really liked the Gamecube controller at the time but I have somehow become less fond of it since the Wii was released. I prefer the N64 Controller in terms of traditional design..

My thoughts on a new controller;

Imagine a single bangle, or a hoop laden with all the buttons we could possibly need. A bangle could be held left handed, right or both. Developers could ask us to change where we hold the controller for the type of game, one half could be home to the Dpad and analogue stick, another home to ABXY, trigger buttons on the inner of the hoop.

I like it.

Wouldn't it be nice if Nintendo's next console had class-leading graphics, no gimmicks at all and an upgrade of the GameCube controller? I can dream. ;)

If they'd have done that with the Wii they'd have probably gone the same way as Sega

My thoughts on a new controller;

Imagine a single bangle, or a hoop laden with all the buttons we could possibly need. A bangle could be held left handed, right or both. Developers could ask us to change where we hold the controller for the type of game, one half could be home to the Dpad and analogue stick, another home to ABXY, trigger buttons on the inner of the hoop.

I know what you mean. It'd be good as a steering wheel, but the big flaw would be that you couldn't rotate your wrists.

I'm actually quite enjoying Microsoft and Sony entering the 'motion market'...

Where as the Wii is now getting Sonic Colours... Microsoft are getting Sonic Free Riders for Kinect... which previously would have been all us Wii owners could have expected to recieve from Sega.

About time the crap was shared around! :D

Has anyone on here had a problem with their Wii becoming particularly loud when a disc is in the drive?

It has really started to bother me lately and part of me wants to see if I can somehow fix it :hmm:

I was wondering if any of you would have some advice?

Has anyone on here had a problem with their Wii becoming particularly loud when a disc is in the drive?

It has really started to bother me lately and part of me wants to see if I can somehow fix it :hmm:

:weep:planned obsolescence:weep:

Mine did that and eventually led up to it failing to read discs for a couple of days. I got it sent off to Nintendo and they returned it working as smooth as it was on launch day. That was a nearly three years ago, and it's now less quiet again, so I'm almost certain it's just a case of dust clogging up the console. Best advice is, don't try to fix it yourself, and if you're genuinely concerned, phone Nintendo. I can't see them charging anything to fix it.

Mine does that. Sometimes there can be a gap of about 3-5+ minutes when waiting for a disc to load up too. Quite concerning.

Yes, I too have this 'feature' as I'm sure the marketing guys would call it. If it weren;t for the fact Metriod is out next week, i might try returning it.

Mine had problems reading disks a while ago. I tried cleaning it with the official lens cleaner but it wasn't really that dirty and didn't help. One of the firmware updates fixed it though. Mine is louder than when I first got it.

Finally, I got round to playing via Component - and I must say I am mightily impressed.

I've been playing through Scart and was impressed enough with the visuals - by no means were they horrid as some would say (although, I suspect thats down to my incredible TV); they just seemed a bit blurred. With compenent however, they're so crisp, and bright. It makes a real difference, actually - given my Wii a new lease of life, I must say.

Jaggies are more pronounced for sure - the worst I've seen is in Metroid Prime when you scan, but its forgivable really (and in Metroid, at least kind of fits the AR visor Samus has).

The one thing I will say is that getting hold of the official component cable has been an arse - no retail stores had any in at all with no sign of any on order, so ended up going to Amazon (which was signifcantly cheaper than the RRP). I guess there is little desire for the bricks and mortar type buyer to want to get into the best Wii experience.

Anyway, all-in-all, I recommend (should you have a HD television) to get hold of the component - it makes all the difference.

Finally, I got round to playing via Component - and I must say I am mightily impressed.

I've been playing through Scart and was impressed enough with the visuals - by no means were they horrid as some would say (although, I suspect thats down to my incredible TV); they just seemed a bit blurred. With compenent however, they're so crisp, and bright. It makes a real difference, actually - given my Wii a new lease of life, I must say.

Jaggies are more pronounced for sure - the worst I've seen is in Metroid Prime when you scan, but its forgivable really (and in Metroid, at least kind of fits the AR visor Samus has).

The one thing I will say is that getting hold of the official component cable has been an arse - no retail stores had any in at all with no sign of any on order, so ended up going to Amazon (which was signifcantly cheaper than the RRP). I guess there is little desire for the bricks and mortar type buyer to want to get into the best Wii experience.

Anyway, all-in-all, I recommend (should you have a HD television) to get hold of the component - it makes all the difference.

Thanks for the tip mon brave.

I recently bought a new full HDTV for my room at another city (where I'll be studying) so the hunt for 'Component' has begun!

Question: is this that which I seek?

wii-component-av-cable.jpg

Question: is this that which I seek?

wii-component-av-cable.jpg

Nah, that one is a waste of money. this one works just as well.

Edit: If you have any Virtual Console games, one thing you may need to do is press home, go into the operations menu then press (you need the nunchuck plugged in):

Z + A + 2 (press all at once).

Do that if any of them give you a blank screen.

Edited by Cube