Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The London Underground

Fierce_LiNk

Before I began life at uni, or life in Brighton, I had hardly ever visited the City of London. I'd passed through it a couple of times in the car, but had hardly ever used the trains, or more importantly, the underground.

Now, it seems that whenever I want to get back to Brighton, or to home in Wales, I have to pass through the underground. For some reason, my mind fears it:

"oh, nooo...not the underground, AGAIN!"

But, when you're actually there, it's not really that bad. It's quite an adventure going through London. I've never failed to at least meet one polite person, or had a friendly chat/made a cool friend from my journeys. I seem to be some kind of person-magnet.

I see there's a few Londoners on this board, so they must use the underground a lot. What are your views on it? Is it just a way to get from A to B, or do you see it as a really cool way of travelling?

I'm going to be using the underground again in two weeks, and whilst it'll be a really stupid time in the morning I'll be there, it should be pretty cool really. :)

Only used it during one weekend in London in which I got to see the daytime rush and the nighttime drunks. Was okay, similar to the NY Underground, but this time I knew where I was heading. Anyway it was alright. Nothing special. Although when I was coming back it was that weekend last year where Glasgow airport was under attack (flaming car going into it) and over the PA they were worried or something, problems. I dunno. Was fine though.

Actually when I was on there me and a friend were singing "My Lumps" while groping our friend. Fun times.

Trust me, you won't like the Tube if you have to use it daily, i.e going to work/college/Uni. Its an absolute bitch.

Take for example a typical school day for me last year (going to Uni now!). Lessons at 9am, finish at 6pm. Therefore the time I'm using the tube coincide with the rush hour: early morning (around 8am) and early evening (5-7pm). Getting to college and getting back home were easily the worst part of my day.

Getting inside a tube, jam packed full of people after a hard day at work/college/uni is not my idea of fun. Its hell. Oh man....the many tales I could tell from my experience on the tube....sigh./

Considering it is over 100 years old it is a phenomenal piece of engineering.

I love using the underground, I use it every day and have no idea what I'd do without it.

It really isn't that overcrowded except during rush hour but then everything is during rush hour so what do you expect?! Complain about the tube all you want but if you don't like it, don't f*cking use it.

The only reason I don't the underground (anywhere, really) is the lack of control. In opens and closes, no matter what, and I panic in my head, that I'll be seperated from whatever group I'm in, or like get crushed to death.

The underground in Barcelona and Washington D.C were both nice, IIRC.

I actually love using the tube.

Its hilarious sitting and secretly glancing around at everyone, seeing what they're reading/wearing etc. Its also strange because I'm pretty sure I'd never see them again after that encounter.

Its also damn easy and fast!

Except for one time when the train stopped in the tunnel and we were in the dark for over half an hour 0_o The train in front of us has broken down...

Considering it is over 100 years old it is a phenomenal piece of engineering.

I love using the underground, I use it every day and have no idea what I'd do without it.

It really isn't that overcrowded except during rush hour but then everything is during rush hour so what do you expect?! Complain about the tube all you want but if you don't like it, don't f*cking use it.

calm down. :heh:

I'm pretty lucky in that I live more centrally than I work so in rush hour I'm going the wrong way and miss the crowds. Means I almost always get a seat and a nice relaxing ride to work.

Compared with other transport systems I've used I really can't fault it. I can see why people might complain but it really is miles ahead of anything else in this country.

I've only ever used the London Underground during the few days i was there for a weding. It was a laugh though. Like the time we were coming back from the Apollo this guy and his friend got on who was totaly drunk. He was leaning against the side and bending down with a carrier bag full of beer, almost falling flat on his face and generally acting like a tit. The entire car i was in was in hysterics.

We used the Underground very frequently when I was on vacation in London this summer. Yes, it was exceptionally crowded at times, and yes, it was hot like hell down there, but I find it also had some kind of charm. I know those who use it daily will probably think "What the eff is wrong with this guy?", but I guess I see it as part of the London culture, and I like experiencing that culture. It's an integral part of being in London, so it adds to the experience.

I hated it..but the more i do it..the better it becomes...i didn't have no trouble at all on wednesday with my mate getting somewhere at night..i was rather proud of myself..certainly not afraid of the tube like i used to be.