N-Europe

Retro_Link

One thing I keep noticing is that in the demo you have the dark blue cape but then on the trailer that plays when you finish the demo Batman has his black one ingame

Dark blue?! I thought it was...hmmm.... Maybe I need to look again.

I think I heard when you complete it you unlock special Bat-armour. It's a pre-order bonus in America but I think you can unlock it anyways.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I must be alone in thinking it was quite a boring demo. I did enjoy it but I don't see the full game being much of an expansion on the idea. Playing as Batman is awesome though, and the Joker's personality keeps it flowing. I just wish there appeared to be more variety.

Hm, I must be alone in thinking it was quite a boring demo. I did enjoy it but I don't see the full game being much of an expansion on the idea. Playing as Batman is awesome though, and the Joker's personality keeps it flowing. I just wish there appeared to be more variety.
Yeah that's what I was trying to express. I just hope there's a lot more to it, creepy bosses and complex things to figure out, the demo basically had three rooms where you had to swing on gargoyles, it would've been better if one of the rooms had taken a different approach such as having to sneak from underneath, or smash in through a skylight or something.

I'd also like it if Batman felt a bit more alone, in the demo you're isolated, but you can talk to Oracle, Gordon and even meet up with lots of security guards. And I'm thinking I might be the only one who thinks Batman looks a bit poor. I don't like the super fancy body-suit or the tree-trunk arms. I prefer a simpler Batman who disappears in the shadows, like this:

12316__one_l.jpg

Also the bat animation whenever you beat an enemy... that is going to get annoying after a while....

In the plus column, Harley Quinn. Rawr.

Edited by Shorty

Yeah that's what I was trying to express. I just hope there's a lot more to it, creepy bosses and complex things to figure out, the demo...

Right about there is where you should have switched to giving the game the benefit of the doubt. I can see where your concerns are coming from, but it's rather premature to call out the game for a lack of variety when all you've played is the first 10 minutes or so.

On top of that, it's clearly a more varied game than, say, Gears of War. There's combat, stealth, and at least light puzzle solving, on top of which there's Metroidvania elements of gaining new equipment to access previously inaccessible areas — and take down thugs in new ways, of course. It's worth mentioning that Arkham isn't just one building, so who knows how the different areas will affect gameplay.

I'm not really a fan of Batman (a Batfan?) but I'm still going to pick this up simply because I like the look and feel of it. It's also clear from all the little touches that it's made by a genuinely enthusiastic team, which in turn makes me much more confident in the final product.

Right about there is where you should have switched to giving the game the benefit of the doubt. I can see where your concerns are coming from, but it's rather premature to call out the game for a lack of variety when all you've played is the first 10 minutes or so.
The beginning of a game should grab me like the beginning of a great book. In Bioshock my plane crashed into the ocean and I discovered an underwater city, guns, zombies and genetic modification in the first ten minutes. In Batman I repeated the same type of fight sequence six times, all linked by identical ventilation shafts. It's not about the action, what you press etc, it's about how the scenery changes and how big new enemies spring upon you that keep a game fresh. That's why games like Halo, L4D and Gears don't get boring despite the way, on an aesthetic level, they all repeat the same actions from beginning to end.

Despite my list of cons I am in fact going to do as you say and give them the benefit of the doubt (you need to doubt them in the first place to do that, after all) - I'll buy this game on release, assuming it doesn't get 5/10 from everyone but Gamesmaster.

I think you're being rather reductionist. It's easy to do great games a disservice by taking the strawman route, like so:

In the beginning of BioShock you learn the one-two punch of electrifying an enemy and then hitting them with a wrench, the only move you need for the entire game because you can't die. All the fights are exactly the same, all the levels have the same art deco look, and the enemies keep repeating themselves and constantly respawning.

If all of your fights in the demo were exactly the same I think you only have yourself to blame, to be honest. The first few bouts are unavoidable tutorial fisticuffs, fights which you could win just by waiting to hit Y as none of your enemies have melee weapons at that point. Or you could punch one guy in the face, zip across to an adjacent enemy, stun a third with your cloak, take another's legs out with a Batarang before pounding his skull into the floor and topping things off by grabbing the final guy's leg as he tries to kick you. The latter is quicker, nets you bonus XP and is simply more fun! You're Batman, a couple of thugs don't pose a threat to you; it's a question of how you're going to take them down, not if.

Likewise you could approach the stealth section simply by taking one guy out, waiting in the rafters for a minute or so until another becomes separated before rinse and repeat. Or you could challenge yourself to take out every enemy with a silent takedown without any of the others noticing, much like a classic Splinter Cell. Or you could string one guy up, swing to a different vantage point and then drop him on his investigating buddies when they're underneath him. Or you could choose to stun an enemy with a Batarang whilst you take on another nearby using the usual fighting mechanic. Or you could make as much noise as possible to get the enemies on edge, crashing through glass ceilings and winging down from the rafters to kick bad guys in the face — several abilities not in the demo, like the explosive spray and ability to latch onto enemies with your grapple, would help a lot with this approach.

Demos are like movie trailers: they can give you a good idea of whether you'll like the full thing or not due to a general feel, but if you fixate on trying to second guess the ultimate direction and minutia of the finished product based on them then you'll be doing both it and yourself a disservice.

I think you're being rather reductionist. It's easy to do great games a disservice by taking the strawman route

Except that I didn't just do it for the sake of making a statement in words on a page, that's simply how I felt in myself whilst playing the game. I can't change the fact that it basically didn't excite me the way many great games did in the first ten minutes. Maybe all that proves is that my expectations are set too high.

seeing as how daft has basicly given PS3 owners the game for half price, i happy to take a chance. also, ive just read the dark knight returns, and began batman year one, and im getting very drawn into batman right now.

Sadly, The Hut have put it back up to £35 but if you got the order in on time you're sorted! :smile:

I'm half way through Year One and over the past week I've read The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum and The Long Halloween over the past week. I've totally been sucked in and I can't wait for this.

I think what I really enjoy is how well the narrative is done. Even the random thug banter is entertaining to listen to. I hope there is plenty more of it.

Reviews:

[English]

Games Master UK: 96%

Playstation Official Magazine UK: 9/10

PlayStation Beyond: 90%

OXM Australia: 9/10

Total Film: 5/5

Game Informer: 9.5 (Second Opinion: 9.5)

[French]

Jeux Vidéo: 19/20

[German]

Consol Plus: 91%

Maniac: 90%

360-Live: 90% (Reader Review: 88%)

Play³: 90%

[Finnish]

Pelaaja: 10/10

"Batman: AA is not only the best Batman game to come out on consoles, it's a contender for Game of The Year"

+inhabitants of Arkham Asylum feel like living, breathing characters. Converse w/ one another, interact with Arkham's geometry, and create their own self-contained stories

+Melee system highlights brutal efficiency. Even when odds are stacked against you, you feel as if you can take everybody out.

+Areas of the Asylum are blocked off until new gadgets are obtained (zelda/metroid style)

- The final confrontation is a MAJOR letdown. A good idea gone to waste. In this scene an outrageous concept is squashed by Batman's mortality. The fight that follows is easily the game's worst.

Goes on to say: "Regardless, Batman: AA is this year's Bioshock...delivers an adventure unlike any other"

Edited by Dante

Well, we don't have rentals. So... deal breaker.

Which is the good thing about Isohunt and Daemon tools. Not that I endorse piracy in any way.

I was fairly happy with the demo actually, but that could be because I've always had a love of Batman. I really would much have preferred it though, if it was in the same vein and art style of the original animated series. Perhaps like Batman Vengeance. I feel that with the current steroid enhanced game engine, and next gen sheen it's lost a sense of atmosphere that would have been better conveyed with solid colours rather than hues. BUT VATEVAR.

+inhabitants of Arkham Asylum feel like living, breathing characters. Converse w/ one another, interact with Arkham's geometry, and create their own self-contained stories

+Areas of the Asylum are blocked off until new gadgets are obtained (zelda/metroid style)

These two make me super happy.

Which is the good thing about Isohunt and Daemon tools. Not that I endorse piracy in any way.

I was fairly happy with the demo actually, but that could be because I've always had a love of Batman. I really would much have preferred it though, if it was in the same vein and art style of the original animated series. Perhaps like Batman Vengeance. I feel that with the current steroid enhanced game engine, and next gen sheen it's lost a sense of atmosphere that would have been better conveyed with solid colours rather than hues. BUT VATEVAR.

I think the look is spot on, except on Batman is a bit off. Like you said he has been properly roided up but Batman is HUUUGE. From what I've seen of everything else it looks great imo, especially the Joker.

Both Batman and Joker looks like something Tim Sale would draw.

LongHalloween_92144.jpg

3p15.jpg

Getting some good reviews, and Game Informer could well be right about it being this year's Bioshock. Was at a small event and the amount of attention and positive feedback coming from this was phenomenal. You literally couldn't get a go on the game, as all 10 kiosks were constantly occupied. Was basically the same demo available on the XBL Marketplace and the PSN but you could play through some of the challenge rooms. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a go of the game to play them but saw what was available and looks like it'll add a nice little side track from the main gameplay.

So much for that Gamesmaster rant eh! Did anyone say they'd eat their hat? I have spare hats.

Well, I think these reviews are enough to put my mind to rest, despite the polish of the demo, no reviewer (or at least, not all of them) would give it scores like that if it just repeated that formula until the end. Cool.

*doesn't cancel pre-order*

Eurogamer- 9/10

most of the gameplay concerns are minor when taken in the context of how much Arkham Asylum gets so gloriously right. Rarely does a game do a character justice in such a satisfying way. Arkham Asylum finds room for every major aspect of Batman's enduring appeal, and it does so in a game compelling enough to work even without its masked star. Fans of the caped crusader really shouldn't hesitate - this isn't just the best grown-up Batman game, it's the best superhero game, bar none.