Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Why aren't our fingers the same size?

Fierce_LiNk

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel somewhat hurt and abused after that comment.

:(

It totally is worth the effort! Have you ever looked at your hands, Jay? Tell me, apart from wiggling your little finger and pretending its a maggot that is talking to you, what is the point of it at all?!

Alright, alright, I'm sorry :P how about this;

Grab some elastic bands, wrap your ring and little finger together, then join up your index and middle. Now you're a Ninja Turtle!

But what's the point of it all? Well I was overly harsh with how I said it last night, but the point is that there is no point :) Grunchie, as always, explained it better than I ever could (I was going to say something like because there's no reason not to have five..).

As for relative finger sizes - I've always imagined that there's a sort of range of sizes that ensures the fingers maintain flexibility yet stability between each other. It's a sort of you-need-to-be-drunk-for-me-to-explain thing, so I'll save it for another day.

Plus it's perfect for that extra feminine touch of holding it up in the air when holding something (like when eating or drinking); something I found myself doing without wanting to. =P

Haha, I sometimes find myself doing this. First I think 'Oh shit thats really quite girly of me'... Then I realise it's one of the less feminine things I do and give up caring >_<

My left pinky is slightly bent at the last joint, its weird.

But anyway, yeh, its just the way it is. It has its use, minor as it is, but there's no need for us not to have one. I did wonder once why we have two nostris instead of just one, but i cant remember what i agreed on. Ah well, pointless musings flinky, get over it!

Guest Jordan

But anyway, yeh, its just the way it is. It has its use, minor as it is, but there's no need for us not to have one. I did wonder once why we have two nostris instead of just one, but i cant remember what i agreed on. Ah well, pointless musings flinky, get over it!

The human body is just daft, i don't see why we have two of somethings but one of others.

Inside each nostril is an area of tissue which expands and shrinks, each nostril cycles this expansion & shrinkage over time (approx. an hour). When the tissue is expanded, it slows the passage of air over the olfactory cells (the smelling things), so that chemicals which dissolve slowly have more time to be detected (smelt) by these cells. While in the other nostril, the passage of air is faster, so that the quickly dissolving chemicals are detected more easily.

This means that we have two nostrils, because each takes in air at different speeds, to give a broader, more accurate sense of smell.

The human body is just daft, i don't see why we have two of somethings but one of others.

Such as?

But pinky fingers are cute! I wouldn't want to miss mine, or have it be longer! Plus it's perfect for that extra feminine touch of holding it up in the air when holding something (like when eating or drinking); something I found myself doing without wanting to. =P

I also think the different sizes make hands look more interesting and aesthetically appealing, but that might just be me.

That's feminine? I do it naturally when I drink, I've been told it's everything from posh to gay, and now it's feminine.

I'm gonna need a tatoo.

Great question...When you look at the overal shape our finger sizes produce, it makes the hands look like fins. According to the theories of evolution weren't we once aquatic creatures?

If you mean the aquatic ape theory, that's widely thought to be rubbish these days.

A vaguely interesting notion, shino :P Well primarily; are their tastes in men predetermined by the age-old "he will be strong enough to look after our young" or... "does he look metrosexual"... either way... I believe women aged 35 do not give a shit, and will go for the coolest people... therefore I am eagerly awaiting being 32+ and utterly eligable.

Sorry. Pissed. plz continue.

What....on....earth.

He's talking about natural evolution. The guys with more chances of reproduction, and passing on their genes, are the ones the women chose to procreate with.

So, if women start liking effeminate guys, then our future is looking pretty grim.

The same goes the other way around, but I'm pretty sure men have their tastes correct. We all like hot girls, right? Right!?

I believe women aged 35 do not give a shit, and will go for the coolest people... therefore I am eagerly awaiting being 32+ and utterly eligable.

Sorry. Pissed. plz continue.

Hmm! Thanks! Maybe I'm not completely lost then! My coolness will have to be noticed sometime in my life!

He's talking about natural evolution. The guys with more chances of reproduction, and passing on their genes, are the ones the women chose to procreate with.

So, if women start liking effeminate guys, then our future is looking pretty grim.

The same goes the other way around, but I'm pretty sure men have their tastes correct. We all like hot girls, right? Right!?

Haha, yeah right... We get to choose? The only time that happened was hundreds of thousands of years ago, and we had to drag them by their hair.

Haha, yeah right... We get to choose? The only time that happened was hundreds of thousands of years ago, and we had to drag them by their hair.

I love this post. So much I may put it into my sig :heart:

If we didn't have pinkies, then we'd complain about our second shortest finger, so it has to be the obviously short one to put a stop to it. :heh:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!