N-Europe

Four dead in East London-stabbed in 24 hours

stuwii

Knife crime is the current media scapegoat tbh.

I'm surprised the media hasn't blamed the government - the media have been focusing on knife crime a lot since the government announced that it was working on reducing it. Why haven't they tried a "The governments plans of redicing knife crime have massively backfired - blame them for all the recent deaths due to knife crime" report yet?

Guest bluey

i think the media have really jumped on the small increase in knife crime in london atm... i'm sure glad i live in tokyo where knife crime is ra...... ahh waitasec.

Lol @ Knife crime joke on mock the week.

What was the joke? I only half watched last night.

As for knife crime, for ages now the media's been all on about it, and I've been like 'daymn alot of people are being stabbed!' but now everyone's like 'no, not one! everyones being stabbed same as they were before this is nothing new move along nothing to see here!'

But who is right? Even if the rates are the same, was it always so many YOUNG people getting stabbed/stabbing people? Something must have changed to cause this shift in exposure, surely?

Guest bluey
Knife crime is getting really bad. The other day I was in a restaurant and they brought me a steak knife when I had ordered the fish.

..guess you had to be there...

:smile:

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!

i think the media have really jumped on the small increase in knife crime in london atm... i'm sure glad i live in tokyo where knife crime is ra...... ahh waitasec.

Haha! I had the pretty much the same train of thought, "Yeah, bluey is right Tokyo hasn't got a high rate of knife cri...... hold on." :heh:

Something must have changed to cause this shift in exposure, surely?

Yeah, everyone got bored of hearing about the McCann's day-to-day lives so the papers had to find something else to shift units. They test the water with storys all the time, if they get enough feed-back then they start to ramp up coverage and before you know it it's blown out of all proportion!

Knife crime sucks, but it's nothing new.

Who cares if its been around for ages? Thats no reason to try and not stop it, people should be thankful of this increased attention, hopefully it'll get something done about it.

Hasnt that David Cameron said something about prison time if your found with a knife on you? I think they should have an on the spot punishment, jail time wouldnt be good because they crowded enough, but they cud think of something im sure.

A lot of people hear about the knifings and just goes on a rant about the media, wot about the victims? They need to try and stop it, but i dont think it'll ever be stopped, too easy to do it!

It's very sad, because every single one of those deaths could have been avoided. Whether it's one, two, or fifty knife crime incidents a day, it could all be prevented.

It doesn't matter if the rate has gone up, or if it really is the same and the media are just bringing a lot of attention to it. The fact is, four people died.

It's very sad, because every single one of those deaths could have been avoided. Whether it's one, two, or fifty knife crime incidents a day, it could all be prevented.

It doesn't matter if the rate has gone up, or if it really is the same and the media are just bringing a lot of attention to it. The fact is, four people died.

Yeah every life is important. the media only picks up on what they want to really. There was a kid killed down our way and it was ALL over the news, but it happens a lot more often in Belfast... with so much less publicity.

Sad times indeed. :(

Any statistics regarding skin colour?

Sorry, just had to crack that, as every Channel 4 advert I saw last week for the disarming britain special featured about 99.9% black kids as having the weapons.

In my area the attackers, and victims, seem to be predominantly black.

I live in South East London and to be honest it's been like this for quite a long time. Just seems the press are reporting it more now.

Still it's terrible and needs to stop. People just seem to have no remorse or care for how precious life is. It's ridiculous.

The one that happened in Sidcup (harry potter actor) was my mate from works brothers friend. My mates brother is still in hospital as he was stabbed too in the neck and a nerve got damaged which has left in temporary paraylised.

Anyone caught with a knife should be locked up, there is no need to carry one. Yeah ok the prisons are full, so build new ones instead of wasting money on things such as the olympics.

The other day I saw an airport style scanner at my train station which Boris Johnson has decided to bring in at "hot spots". Was really good seeing it and I feel a great move by the Mayor. As I walked by the police were arresting a young teenager who must have had something on him.

Really good to seeing this and really reasurring that the Mayor and the MET are putting some effort into stopping knife crime.

OK, not that its the most important thing, but weren't two in East London and two in North London.

Anyway, I feel it is good that it is getting coverage like this, because lives are being taken away, and as Fierce Link said, it could all be prevented. That's what is most important, the lives being taken away.

Now, what really bothers me is that the coverage should be good, due to priority etc, but everytime it's bought up, it's just statistics rather than any active stance, and when you bring up statistics, it just makes the people watching more scared and those potentially drag more people into the cycle. So with all that being said, the media coverage at present time is pointless.

I was impressed with disarming Britain though, seeing that there are people out there actively doing something, and I believe that is the kind of thing that should be bought to light, so hopefully others can follow suit.

I live in South East London and to be honest it's been like this for quite a long time. Just seems the press are reporting it more now.

Still it's terrible and needs to stop. People just seem to have no remorse or care for how precious life is. It's ridiculous.

The one that happened in Sidcup (harry potter actor) was my mate from works brothers friend. My mates brother is still in hospital as he was stabbed too in the neck and a nerve got damaged which has left in temporary paraylised.

Anyone caught with a knife should be locked up, there is no need to carry one. Yeah ok the prisons are full, so build new ones instead of wasting money on things such as the olympics.

The other day I saw an airport style scanner at my train station which Boris Johnson has decided to bring in at "hot spots". Was really good seeing it and I feel a great move by the Mayor. As I walked by the police were arresting a young teenager who must have had something on him.

Really good to seeing this and really reasurring that the Mayor and the MET are putting some effort into stopping knife crime.

See that's great, an active stance, but ever since heard about that whole Knife check thing that they did in a week and more than two thirds were just given a slap on the wrist or fine when they were carrying a knife, it was obvious the system is ridiculous. But hey, that's great things have ramped up then.

And I'm sorry about your mate's brother's friend