Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

dream job vs current position

LukeLee

No stranger to getting screwed in education. When we signed up for our student loans, we were all told that the rate of interest would only be in line with inflation. Then suddenly it changed to whatever they feel like charging.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh is that how we do it in Belgium? :p

To be honest, as long as you have half a brain, you can get lots of fairly ok jobs that would tide you over. Where are you going to Uni? You are going to do illustration right?

Mehhh, I have a few 'dream jobs' which'll probably turn out to be not so dreamy in reality, so I'm not setting my sights on anything yet, gonna take it easy.

Currently about to finish a BSc in Psychology this year, and working part time in an acute psychiatric setting, but tbh it's not something I really wanna go into anymore. If there's one job I would/do like, it'd be to be a counsellor, but it's likely I'll need some experience and have to go back and do 3 years of study, and at the moment, further study can fuck off, I wanna live!

My dream job otherwise'd be to get paid lots to do something I enjoy, as with everyone, preferably even paid lots to do nothing!

Oh is that how we do it in Belgium? :p

To be honest, as long as you have half a brain, you can get lots of fairly ok jobs that would tide you over. Where are you going to Uni? You are going to do illustration right?

Well I'm currently in my second Bachelor year in Graphic Design, studying in my home town. So one more year to go, then another Master year. We have a lot of different subjects in our course, but one of them is Illustration. Next year I have to pick on which of these three (Illustration, Graphic Design and Interactive Media) I want to continue. I can pick one of them (would be 12 hours per week then) or two (8 hours for the main one, 4 for the second one).

*confusing*

But yeah, Illustration will be my main pick. There's also a big children's book publisher in our city, so I hope to one day be working for them.

I don't have a dream job, I'm just tumbling through life tring to find something that doesn't bore me. Just finished a physics degree and training to be a science teacher, starting my first job next year. I can definitly say I haven't been bored so far everything changes every day, and if it does get boring; every school is completely different.

My dream job would probably be my current job but with a much higher salary! I work as a statistican in the pharmaceutical industry analysing market research data. But ... it's not so much the work that matters to me - it's the atmosphere at work, the variety of work and the friends that I have there. I play cards at lunch time with a group of mates = great job.

My dream job would probably be my current job but with a much higher salary! I work as a statistican in the pharmaceutical industry analysing market research data. But ... it's not so much the work that matters to me - it's the atmosphere at work, the variety of work and the friends that I have there. I play cards at lunch time with a group of mates = great job.

Job satisfaction is more than just money =)

Can't agree more. A bad atmosphere in your perfect job (on paper) can still be utterly crap.

dream job at mo would be to be a freelance photographer for bands / wedding / modeling etc

doing course in photography at the mo and will be applying to do degree to hopefully get accepted and start that next year.

my current job isnt to bad thou at mo

Out of curiosity how did you get into that field of work and (excuse my rudeness don't have to answer) how much do you get paid a year?:indeed:

Out of curiosity how did you get into that field of work and (excuse my rudeness don't have to answer) how much do you get paid a year?:indeed:

Did maths, chemistry and physics at A-Level and liked maths the most so did a maths degree where, in my second and third year, I chose to do statistics modules because I liked them more than the others. I then did a masters in statistics and looked for statistician positions. I've been with my employer for two years and take home about 27k per year (with bonus factored in), in a non-London-close-to-Manchester job.

Did maths, chemistry and physics at A-Level and liked maths the most so did a maths degree where, in my second and third year, I chose to do statistics modules because I liked them more than the others. I then did a masters in statistics and looked for statistician positions. I've been with my employer for two years and take home about 27k per year (with bonus factored in), in a non-London-close-to-Manchester job.

Cheers for the honest and informative answer.

On thursday I have an interview over the phone for a position as games tester at a great developer. It'll be a temp job but should last me the summer and if they offer me a job at the end I'll take it. This is an amazing opportunity for me if I want to look for a job later. I have to re locate and the pay is very little but it's the experience that is really valuable here.

The thing is i've never had to do an interview before, phone or in person. I don't imagine they'll be grilling me too hard and I do know my stuff, but I want to be prepared. So, can anyone recommend a book they found good for preparing for interviews. I don't want a big list of questions and answers, just an idea for the attitude I should take and what they're looking for (although I have a pretty good idea already of the latter).

Thanks.

What company is it with? Phone interviews I've found either go really well or really badly. It can be tough to understand the interviewers mood and meanings without actually seeing them in person so the main thing is to stay calm and take your time. There's loads of help for what questions to expect on google so I'd have some notes of the main ones and the key points you want to get across when answering. Have your CV to hand for any key things they ask or you want to tell them that maybe they don't mention (I assume they've seen it already but it never hurts to emphasize key points).

Just take it easy and I'm sure it will be fine, my phone interview for my current job was basically just a chat about our favourite games and what we were looking for. Being for a tester role I don't think they're going to give you too much of a grilling but being prepared will really make you stand out.

Real Time Worlds.

Keeping my CV up seems like a good idea for pointers. I'll do that. I think they had a pretty good look at it already. I'll see what google turns up as well.

I'm fairly confident I can do this interview well but it doesn't stop me from being nervous. :p

Guest Jordan

Real Time World's made Crackdown :o Awesome.

I currently work in tech support for a software developer (http://www.kildrummy.co.uk). We develop Cost Engineering software, which is stupidly complex. It took me a few good months and many hours to get fairly used to it since i had no back ground with cost management.

I'm hoping to move up to QA (quality assurance aka beta testing) in the next 6 months or so.

However, its pretty easy and i get paied well... so no complaints here.

My dream job? I thought i wanted to be a journalist for a very long time but tbh i'm not the best writer and i've totally lost my wanting to write. What i want to really is be a games designer. I can think up stuff really easily i can use to make/improve software and i'd love to do something like that.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!