Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

McPhee

Like Burny said you can always just plug an external HDD into it via the USB. Or you could just stream everything off your computer through PS3 Media Server which is easy as pie to do and converts .mkv on the fly so it's actually better than having the files locally. That's what I do. 1080p goodness.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

It does but I'm busy and what's the point in ruling over this place if I can't make my minions do something for me :heh:

(in fact I did check the other day and it seemed to be the case, I was more asking for confirmation from people I know/trusted)

PS3 Media Server works on Mac, Linux and PC. Handles all types of files.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

Optional Experimental Plugins: http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9078

Use MKV2VOB if you really need to do mkv via USB. It will help keep subtitles etc. and break up files etc. in less than a second.

Yamb! will help you convert quicktime files or oddball files for USB etc.

With PS3 Media Server being a java app it would run on damn near anything...

Is it just me or is downloading from the PSN store stupidly slow? FFVII hasn't finished downloading, I should be getting 1.1Mb/s, but as I watch it (currently at 39%) my best guess would be that I'm getting about 90Kb/s :/

Are you on Plus? Maybe there's a speed priority thing.

Nah I'm on plus and was suffering from stupidly slow download speeds pixel junk side scroller demo 52mb said it was gonna take 57 mins. My connection is 20megs did speed test abs it was running close to that

Well I purchased a 160GB one from Morrisons for £144 and also picked up LBP from CEX for £6. Will pick up more games at some point in the near future. Will probably open it on Wednesday! (as I'm out tonight and back in the Midlands as of tomorrow)

Download speeds have taken a dive at the moment for a lot of people. Presumably it's tied in to the other day's extended maintenance, and possibly the SEN rebranding; perhaps they're consolidating servers or the like?

Apparently that maintenance was connected to introducing new/further security methods....not that those methods couldn't have slowed things down.

Most annoying thing is updates....took forever to download Starhawk Beta updates the other day...guess plus auto updates help somewhat but not with first time plays.

I thought the sequel was only on 360?! Or is that an option?it's a great game though you won't be disappointed with the original.

Technically platforms haven't been announced for Joe Danger: The Movie, but I'll be very surprised if doesn't come to PS3, 360 and PC.

Joe Danger: Special Edition recently released on XBLA but it isn't a sequel. It's essentially the same as the PSN original, just with a few new additions and some edges rounded.

Hello chaps, need some help for work and I don't have a PS3 to tinker with myself. Our clients pay for internet access through a PayPal portal page, similar to the automatic page you get if you try to log onto BT Openzone. That payment is linked specifically to that device by MAC address.

Now the PS3 browser does not seem to play with the PayPal webpage, kicking back an error message about not filling in all of the necessary information. This is complete rubbish as it only happens on PS3s and the information is being filled in properly.

Can anyone think of particular security precautions that might be in place on the PS3? Does it not publish it's own MAC address? Is the browser a heap of garbage?