Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

McPhee

I imagine it's one of those things that's actually used a lot, you just don't notice it. Even if we're dealing with a binary function it allows developers to vary where the 'bite' of a button press is, which must be quite handy; to throw out a hypothetical example, you might require a deliberate press of a button to use a healing item making it less likely people would clip it accidentally and waste resources.

From my experience in one of the extremely rare examples where these buttons are used, that's not how they work though. I've got driving backwards mapped to a face button in GT5. It can be dosed, but not unless you've actually pressed the button beyond the initial resistance it offers. The dosing happens by in- or decreasing pressure on the button when it is already down and doesn't move perceivably anymore.

Maybe the buttons already register analogue movement when they're not fully down, but in that case it's mostly used to emulate a binary button. Everything beyond the initial resistance registers as pressed, everything before doesn't.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend Heavy Rain, its an incredible - err - piece of software. Its fair to say its not quite a game, but I thoroughly enjoyed it for the masterful story telling. I cannot wait to see what Quantic Dream are up to next.

Skip LBP, get the sequel instead. You should be able to find it for under £15 and it improves upon the original in pretty much every regard.

I'd have to disagree. I thought the first was far superior to LBP2. While the sequel does have more creativity options, the original single player mode has more charm and overall better design. LBP2 left me feeling disappointed; I used to pop in and out of the first but having played LBP2 I've touched neither since.

Edited by david.dakota

Purchased a PS3 last night. Mostly going to use it for blu-ray but figured I should pick up some games so any suggestions? Rarely play so not going to get many at the moment but thinking LBP, Heavy Rain, Bioshock.

And fuck me the controllers are expensive! Don't know why, it's just a wireless PS2 controller :heh:

Obviously the Uncharted series is a must buy.

I'd possibly even say, play the first on Easy just to get through it, (its amazing, but not mind blowing) and then the others on Normal for epic win.

Little Big Planet is the most over rated game on the PS3; although I love 'create your shit' games and this is one of the most robust, I just didn't like it, never got into it. I wanted to love it so much...

Uncharted 1-3 is the best thing on the system. Bioshocks, dead spaces, batman's, and all the HD "classics" are worth getting (orange box, portal 2 etc). You'll be able to pick up a lot of very cheap, very good games I'm sure!

I remember driving games using that on ps2, lightly press x to accelerate a bit, lightly press square to only break a bit, etc. Lots of games used it.

Most racing games still do on PS3. There are people who also use analog sticks for accelerate/brake. Handbrake is analog in GT5. MGS4 used them too. Though not as necessary.

LBP uses it too. One of the best games on the system. Much better than the games Dazzybee mentioned as alternatives.

I'd suggest trying the LBP demo first. I got the first game for free and, as good as user-created levels are, the floaty controls make it unbearable to play.

Watching it on YouTube is much more fun.

The demo doesnt show much of the game at all. The platform for games tagline is an apt one.

Also floaty controls are perhaps one of the weakest generic criticisms for games this generation.

The demo doesnt show much of the game at all. The platform for games tagline is an apt one.

Also floaty controls are perhaps one of the weakest generic criticisms for games this generation.

But I feel floaty co trols does define the floaty jump that the game has what other term would you use?

My problem would be using floaty controls as a criticism when its not, its just the control style that they decided to use for the game.

Ok would a better description be inprecise then? Media Molecule chose a floaty jump as opposed to a rigid jump but it's a little inprecise. Im not picking a fight just think there is something off with the jump not helped by the shifting between 3 planes and wonder if floaty is more a mechanics choice (which I accept look at the very deliberate form of jumping that team meat picked for super meatboy) then what word should we use?

Surely if it's one of the main reasons I disliked the game, then (to me at least) it is a pretty fair criticism.

Although I don't get the "generic complaint" comment. I don't think I've played another game this generation where it felt so odd. The closest would probably be Halo.

PlayStation Plus offers this month:

The Simpsons Arcade - Free

Final Fantasy V (PS1) - Free

Hungry Giraffe (Mini) - Free

Farm Frenzy (Mini) - Free

Sonic Adventure - £3.15 + Free upgrade to DX

Rayman: Origins – £24 (50% off)

2nd Chance Offers

Sonic the Hedgehog - Free

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Free

Golden Axe - Free

Streets of Rage 2 - Free

Altered Beast - Free

Comix Zone - Free

Later this month:

Far Cry 2 - Free

Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment - £2.50 (75% off)

Splinter Cell Trilogy - £12 (50% off)

Glad I'm not the only one. I mean I love being able to try out games that I'd never usually buy but I end up just not giving them the time of day. I've lost count of the games I played for 10/15 minutes and thought I'd come back to and just not.

Now that I've stopped buying games relentlessly I'm able to appreciate what I have already. I'm playing ME2 again and actually enjoying it a lot more. Uncharted 3 online keeps on giving. Even started making ym way through Dead Nations again and am loving it more than I did the first time round. Being spoiled for choice has ruined too many games for me.

LoveFilm can suck a fat one.

I found renting games made me appreciate them way less.

Thats why I stopped renting them as well

Glad I'm not the only one. I mean I love being able to try out games that I'd never usually buy but I end up just not giving them the time of day. I've lost count of the games I played for 10/15 minutes and thought I'd come back to and just not.

Now that I've stopped buying games relentlessly I'm able to appreciate what I have already. I'm playing ME2 again and actually enjoying it a lot more. Uncharted 3 online keeps on giving. Even started making ym way through Dead Nations again and am loving it more than I did the first time round. Being spoiled for choice has ruined too many games for me.

I'd second all of this...Now I'm on a economy drive and such I've found I've appreciated games much more and gone back and played older games that I never touched (well except for far cry 2) reward 18 months or summit and I was renting and buying games galore and not enjoying them as much.

I just went on a buying spree of cheap titles post xmas and other than Mass Effect 3 have no plans to buy anything new for the first half of this year.

Power to you Nicholas, but giving FarCry 2 a second chance is of zero worth because it's so fucking pitiful. I don't actually understand what its multiplayer team thought it was doing. Well, the whole of Ubisoft Montreal for that matter.

Finished Resistance 3 in co-op the other day, I'm not sure I can think of a better FPS campaign this generation. While not saying a whole lot, it really is paced very well and the zombie-like Grim battles make for top notch entertainment. Interested to see the new horde mode they've released as DLC.

Anybody played Rayman Origins? Really want to get that on the cheap, lowest I've seen is £15 though. I'm sure it's worth it. However, monies.