Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

I was about 7, my mother gave me a book about sex (the whole hog) told me to read it and expected me to come back with questions. She knew me too well, I take time to think things over XD

Today I had dinner in a fancy restaurant! (Tullyglass fer all you locals!) It was rather nice! Dime bar cheesecake = TO DIE FOR! ^____________^

..ah.. old Tully'.. I never knew of this Dime (DAIM now, I guess :indeed:) Cheesecake.. the 'buttons would love it :heh:

I haven't been there in a wee while.. though the last time I was there was an awful night that I don't want to experience again.. but I wasn't there for dinner (the food is always tasty :yay:)

1. You guys* are too prescriptive.

2. The study of language is descriptive.

3. These things vary between dialects.

4. The only reason one thing is "correct" and the other is "incorrect" is due to convention.

5. No one dialect is better than any other, it just so happens that formal English is the way it is.

6. If you are told you have made an error and you cannot see why it is wrong, then it is not an error in your dialect.

7. Any errors you do make will only be pedagogically, rather than generatively wrong.

8. This means you will still be understood.

9. If you construct a sentence that breaks the rules of generative grammar, bad things happen.

10. "I have could done that." is generatively wrong.

11. "I could of done that." is pedagogically wrong.

12. See the difference?

13. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to conform to certain standards in formal writing and various other situations.

14. Words such as "could" are known as modal auxilliaries; they modify the mood of a verb.

15. When combined with "have" (a different auxilliary verb), in formal English they: (i) come before the non-modal auxilliary verb** (ii) do not change.

16. "Of" is a variant form of "have" in some dialects, used when it combines with a modal auxilliary.

17. It results from the "'ve" contraction of have.

18. This doesn't mean we have to stop berating people for getting things wrong. :wink:

19. In before "witty" replies using numbers or somesuch.

*Note how this could be "y'all" or "you" in some dialects.

**This is why 10 sounds so strange.

:heart:

You are my hero.

..ah.. old Tully'.. I never knew of this Dime (DAIM now, I guess :indeed:) Cheesecake.. the 'buttons would love it :heh:

I haven't been there in a wee while.. though the last time I was there was an awful night that I don't want to experience again.. but I wasn't there for dinner (the food is always tasty :yay:)

Absolutely, and I live in Galgorm so I can drink and walk through the golf course home!

It is rather win!

Dime cheesecake, It was like normal biscuitty bottom, the cream stuff on top had tiny bits of dime through it, and caramel. Then lots of chocolate sauce. It was awesommmmme :D

I noticed that they still call it dime in t'glass tho!

I didn't say that, I just said I hate how parents assume - it makes it harder. :p

But no, she's really not my type and she's vaguely involved with someone else. (She's the one in the pics I posted a few days back where it looked like naked suprise sex in that bed).

But it's wierd, before I hit sixteen it was like the word sex wasn't in my parents vocabulary when they spoke to me but as soon as sixteen came it's all they ever say.

My parents are too embarrassed to actually say the word. It's like a game of taboo.

My parents are too embarrassed to actually say the word. It's like a game of taboo.

Lol! That must be awesome - I wish my parents would stop saying it. It's slightly embarassing when I've got someone over and the go on a rant about it.

They've never actually given me "The Talk" - but I think this is their way of doing it. But come on, nowadays a talk just isn't needed for people with the slightest bit of common sense. We know where everything goes, the bad points etc.

Lol! That must be awesome - I wish my parents would stop saying it. It's slightly embarassing when I've got someone over and the go on a rant about it.

They've never actually given me "The Talk" - but I think this is their way of doing it. But come on, nowadays a talk just isn't needed for people with the slightest bit of common sense. We know where everything goes, the bad points etc.

Your parents actually told you where to put it?

Your parents actually told you where to put it?

No, that's why I said "my parents haven't actually given me the talk". I know a guy that got a full on talk from his parents when he was 14. They literally spent hours discussing everything with the poor guy.

I don't think I could stand a talk with my parents. I also don't think I would be able to give a talk to my kids.

No, that's why I said "my parents haven't actually given me the talk". I know a guy that got a full on talk from his parents when he was 14. They literally spent hours discussing everything with the poor guy.

Touché pussycat.

I think if it goets a bit full on, it would almost be an insult to one's intelligence. That's what I think anyway. All that should happen is that adults tell their kids that sex is a serious thing that shouldn't be taken lightly.

True, but nowdays it seems to be considered as something to take lightly. I mean,it's like "you've had sex..ok" or if your over 16 and haven't it's like "You haven't?".

I don't think my parents ever felt it necessary to tell me anything... I remember reading about it in a kid's medical book when I was about 5, and thinking there was no movement involved. A little later on I found a far more detailed book, that had diagrams of positions and things. All very amusing for me at the time. :wink:

I don't think my parents ever felt it necessary to tell me anything... I remember reading about it in a kid's medical book when I was about 5, and thinking there was no movement involved. A little later on I found a far more detailed book, that had diagrams of positions and things. All very amusing for me at the time. :wink:

Meaning you don't find it amusing when you look at the said book now? :o

Really sorry to hear that, Dante. :(