NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
welsh_gamer

Where were you? 9/11

I was at school, i got picked up by my mam and she told me a plane had crashed into the Empire state building. She was at work so she didn't hear it properly. But when we got home we saw what happend and i rang my mates and told them.

I have one question: Why do we still remember this day yearly (no, this is not another one of these Cruel-Cube things) when we never do anything to remember major natural disasters that make the 11/9 death toll look as big as the death toll from a tomato?

I question why we people remember this day more than days like 11/11 Remembrance Day. Yeah this was a great tragedy, but a shite load more people died in war.

As for where I was, typical got home from school story..

I just came out of school, and when my picked me up she told me about it.

I didn't really understand but then when I got home my mum put sky news on and it just kept playing that clip of the plane crashing into the building.

I was scared shitless for the next week :/

I acknowledge that is happened and shizzle has happened as a result of it. But I just don't find myself caring... But I'm still a lovely bloke.

I'm with Murray on this. If I'm not directly affected by something, I tend not to care. Not that I'm lacking in the compassion department or anything, I'm just short sighted.

I was on a camping holiday in North Wales and some obvious tourist (clearly thinking I was also a tourist) came up to me and my girlfriend and was like

"Are you Americans?"

And we were like "no." Then he walked off without saying anything else and we were like "Frrrrrrreeeaakkk."

At the conclusion of our camping-holiday-media-blackout we heard about it on the car radio on the way home.

What if the US government 'won'. What if this was a privelege to them?

Euurgh.

NAH MATE, IT WAS THE QUEEN IN COLLABORATION WITH EX-KGB AGENTS AND A RACE OF SPACE ALIENS.

tru fax

I didn't want to laugh in this thread but now I have. You are a bad man.

Also, to the people who couldn't care less.

No.

I was at school, i got picked up by my mam and she told me a plane had crashed into the Empire state building. She was at work so she didn't hear it properly. But when we got home we saw what happend and i rang my mates and told them.

Jesus, if it was the ESB it would've caused a shit load more chaos than crashing into the WTC if you ask me.

I question why we people remember this day more than days like 11/11 Remembrance Day. Yeah this was a great tragedy, but a shite load more people died in war.

As for where I was, typical got home from school story..

I don't think it's the fact that loads of people died why everyone remembers it. I think it is so well remembered because of how significant it was as an act of terrorism on the USA. Plus it's alot more recent and therefore, I think, more relevant to todays society. In a war, you expect people to die, sad as it is, you know it's going to happen. 9/11 I think was so totally unexpected and thats why I think it is remembered so well, despite not having an amazingly high death toll like some events. It was just so shocking at the time - the fact that we all remember where we were when we heard about it further says how shocking and significant this was.I don't compare it so much to something like an earthquake or a war as much as I would to the shooting of JFK. However, I do think it's given too much attention each year and I also think the fact that it was in the USA (rather than somewhere like Brazil or non english speaking country) has played a part in how well remembered it is.

EDIT - On topic I was at school early in the morning and I remember everyone talking about this terrible event. Can't remember the exact moment but I can remember the day.

I actually don't think I found out until the day after when everyone was talking about it in school.

The other thing making an impact is the fact it was one single act (or two if you count both planes), where the War was a long period of time, this took less than a few hours.

Left me wondering about the 10 char rule, that post.

I seem to be the only one who's figured out how to get around it easily.

i came home from school, which wasnt unncommon, turned on the tv and was like, erm, whats gannin on here? hadnt herd of the trade centers before, but got the picture that it wasnt a good thing.

my sister came into the house and demanded i change the channel, i told her it was rather important, she called it a load of crap then i pointed to the video of the plane. she wouldent stop saying oh my god so i left the room.

and the reason so many people seem to remeber it is cos unlike a natural dissaster, it affected a country most people seem bothered about, most natural dissaters in recent years have been in turky and places like that, sort of out of our line of sight in a media sense.

and that one day changed the world we live in so much, i cant even grasp how diffrent things are, even peoples attitudes seem diffrent, before people seemed down with muslims, now there kind of a dark figure in society.

the london tube bombs were awful too, but every one seems to talk about them and not the madrid train bomb, which i belive did a lot more damage.

It's a fairly well known exploit on a lot of forums I frequent. However there's usually nothing worth saying in under 10 char, so its a fairly decent rule to have in place. Except this topic, I don't feel I can contribute anything significant to the discussion because I have no idea where I was, apart from I was probably at school (based on time of day etc).

well, treebeard would approve of the 10 letters rule, for it takes a long time to say anything in old entish, and they only say things if its necicary.

.I don't compare it so much to something like an earthquake or a war as much as I would to the shooting of JFK. However, I do think it's given too much attention each year and I also think the fact that it was in the USA (rather than somewhere like Brazil or non english speaking country) has played a part in how well remembered it is.

That's what I was trying to get at, I worded it increidbly poorly.

I think as a country the UK are forgetting events of equal or greater importance in favour of more recent media covered events. Who remembers specific dates of IRA attacks, I'll admit I don't.

On the 9th of November I came home after school to see that there were no childrens tv programmes on and saw that a building was on fire.

I was quite non-plussed.

On July 7th however I was given the day off work and watched the news all day, pretty shocked by it all.

Oh and in reply to some above posts, sure it's a tragedy that it's given much more attention every year than events in non-english speaking countries, like the Asian tsunami for instance, but in some ways it does deserve the attention. It was an event that changed the world in a big way, terrible wars were sparked in the aftermath of the attacks and the western world is much more fearful of others than it has ever been. It certainly wasn't the biggest catastrophe, but its impact has been far greater than that of any other in recent times, possibly since World War II.

Wrong date, it was 11th September :P

The thread title says the 9th of November.

So? The TC is just used to hear 9/11 or don't know that the Americans write the month first I guess.

I should probably start using emoticons or the colon P thing to make myself clearer.

i don't get how people arnt bothered by this, people seem to think its in anouther country so i dont care. untill 7/7 it was the biggest single loss of british lives in a terroist attack.

the reason it got more coverage then any natural dissasters is because it was world changing. not only was it a huge loss of lives, it was an intentional attack, i belive the biggest single unprovoked attack since pearl harbor.

i wasnt turned into a vegtible by the events live some, who just sat and watched tv all day, i didnt really realise how big the effects would be at the time, but to not be moved by the pain it caused, or the heroism of the every man, the firemen who died saving lives, the ambulance crews who risked their lives to help thouse in need. what we whitnessed that day was the very best and very worst of human nature.

i don't get how people arnt bothered by this, people seem to think its in anouther country so i dont care. untill 7/7 it was the biggest single loss of british lives in a terroist attack.

the reason it got more coverage then any natural dissasters is because it was world changing. not only was it a huge loss of lives, it was an intentional attack, i belive the biggest single unprovoked attack since pearl harbor.

i wasnt turned into a vegtible by the events live some, who just sat and watched tv all day, i didnt really realise how big the effects would be at the time, but to not be moved by the pain it caused, or the heroism of the every man, the firemen who died saving lives, the ambulance crews who risked their lives to help thouse in need. what we whitnessed that day was the very best and very worst of human nature.

No. It got more coverage because it happened in the western world.

I was leaving school and my mates mum told us all. Then I watched on the news.

I should probably start using emoticons or the colon P thing to make myself clearer.

The best stuff for the colon pee thing is Immodium.

No. It got more coverage because it happened in the western world.

yeah? well loads of stuff has gone on in the west that didnt get any were near as much coverage. granted being in the west had an effect, but i dont remeber the madrid train bombs being as highly looked at, the paris riots wernt looked at so much.

to say its just because it happened in the west is foolish, the tsunami got an ass load of coverage, the fighting between isral and palestine got a lot of coverage.

its not so much to do with gerographical location as the countries status in the world, as well as the size of the incident and the circumstances.

turns out 9/11 had the combination of happeneing to one of the most powerfullnations on earth, huge loss of life, highly visual attack and it was an act of agression. had it been in an earthquake, there would still have been huge press coverage, but alot of the press was based around speculation over who was responsible etc.

Sign in to follow this