Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

When people borrow something of yours and dont return it or break it/devalue it

conzer16

Okay this thread is a rant. A big motherfucking rant.

I loaned a classical guitar to a my friend's brother for a gig he was doing - he told me I would have it back in a day or two - and true to his word he had it back to me.

Now about a week or two later, I had another phonecall from him asking to borrow it again. I duly obliged - only I was in college so told my mother to give him the guitar when he called around to the house. He didn't call around. A friend of his did. He took the guitar for the gig and 5 months later I still hadn't gotten it back...until tonight.

I was getting very very annoyed with the guy who had taken the guitar. He wouldn't answer the phone every time I called. He wouldn't text me back, and the only response I got was 2 replies to comments I left on his bebo page. He kept panning me off and telling me I would have it "next Thursday" or "at the weekend...". I never got it.

I got onto my mate (who's brother I originally loaned the guitar too) and asked him to contact the guy. He couldnt. I tried getting in contact with my mate's brother. I did. But it has taken a month of phonecalls and whatnot to finally boil down to what happened tonight.

My sister called me earlier today and told me my mate's brother would be calling to the house today with the guitar. He did. I got the guitar back...

It wasn't in the case I gave it to him in. It was in a black gig back as opposed to a brown leather hard case. When I took the guitar out of this gig bag, I was horrified. Not only was it covered in beer stains and scrapes, but therer was an 8 inch crack in the face of the guitar. It looks like someone either stepped on the guitar or dropped something very heavy on it.

Now I literally could not believe it. I asked my mate's brother (still standing at the door) what happened my case (ie: where had it gone?) and how my guitar was damaged...

He couldnt explain.

So I told him to tell the guy who took my guitar that he owes me alot of money.

I then made a phonecall to the guy who took my guitar. To my complete surprise he answered. For the first time since this whole debacle began he actually answered the phone to me.

I spent about 10 minutes explaining to him that he was responsible for the damages. The case apparently was stolen by one of "the lads" and he couldn't explain how the guitar was broken.

So, keeping a cool head, I explained to him that he now owes me the princely sum of €1300. The guitar alone was worth €1100 and the case €200.

He then proceeded to tell me that he had brought it to a music shop with the idea of getting it repaired before he gave it back to me.

If indeed he did get it fixed before giving it back to me he admitted that he wouldn't have told me about the damage.

I am so mad. I have never been so mad in my life.

I just want to ask anyone else have they found themselves in the same situation or a similar one!

How mad were you? And how was the situation resolved?

(Sorry for the long post...but you know...)

Edit: This has to be my longest post in my NE history...

I very rearely lend my stuff to people. Purely for the fact I'm very possesive and I hate breaking stuff. This goes as far as refusing to let friends borrow dvds unless they are very close friends, to even letting people play my game saves. I also always write down if someone is borrowing something, even when my long time friend over the road borrowed my GBA for a few days.

I feel for you dude, though at the same time I wonder why you lent a guitar thats over a grand to a stranger (if thats not the case, the story made it sound like you didn't really know him).

I very rearely lend my stuff to people. Purely for the fact I'm very possesive and I hate breaking stuff. This goes as far as refusing to let friends borrow dvds unless they are very close friends, to even letting people play my game saves. I also always write down if someone is borrowing something, even when my long time friend over the road borrowed my GBA for a few days.

I feel for you dude, though at the same time I wonder why you lent a guitar thats over a grand to a stranger (if thats not the case, the story made it sound like you didn't really know him).

I know my mate's bro, it's his mate who ended up with the guitar who I dont' really know.

Lesson learned I think...

I'm never giving anyone else anything of mine ever again...

It is really fair enough not to let anyone borrow stuff who isn't directly connected to you. Fortunately none of my friends want to borrow anything of mine, and I don't need anything of theirs. If it really is broken, contact the police.

We have a saying here for this stuff, it goes something like this: "Those who lend, don't get better (or will never get to be something)", another one is, "Those o lend to a friend, have to take it back from an enemy".

I only lend my stuff to people I really know and trust, and they have to tell me its for them and not for their friends.

"Those o lend to a friend, have to take it back from an enemy".

I only lend my stuff to people I really know and trust, and they have to tell me its for them and not for their friends.

That rings very true to me right now.

And Moria, I'm meeting my solicitor tomorrow to see what advice he can offer me.

Guest Jordan

I once lent my GBA SP and all my GBA games to a friend, never heard back from him since.

Cock...

I never, ever, ever lend things out anymore unless i know i will specifically see the person within in the next few days. Its so annoying when someone borrows something of yours and doesn't treat it with any respect at all.

my sister lent my whoopie cussion and magnifying glas to the girls across the road, the whoopie cussion broke (how the hell did they do that?) and the magnifying glass was stolen from their garden one night. who steals a magnifying glass?

never got any compensation, or even an appology. they just told me what had happened. i was like 9 and i still feel bitter.

i guess one thing to factor into lending is value, my mate threw a tantrum when anouther of our mates wouldent lend him her £125 boots for a fancy dress night on the piss.

Two bad lends, one to my cousin. I got Mortal Kombat 3 for the mega drive back in the days of old and let it him borrow it after taking it round one evening. That was apparantly stolen so in return i was given a copy of MK1. Darn parents not knowing that 3 is better than 1 were pleased i got a game back!!

second makes me even more angry. My missus friend was doing a child development course and asked to borrow a baby scan photo...several months later we ask for it back and the excuse of "i gave it you back" was used. Really is something money cant replace.

Another friend doing child dev' actually wanted to borrow our daughter for an afternoon.....we declined, lesson learned.

Overall i dont lend anyone anything.

My brother has become a really selfish sod ever since he went to uni and has (for the past year) taking my stuff and lieing about it.

1) He took my guitar to uni without even asking me. It was missing 3 strings when he took it last september, however it has returned back home now. Still missing the 3 strings. What the hell is the point in taking it, if you not even going to use it?

2) He "Borrowed" my dvd to a friend when he was in year 11 (4 year ago) never told me he was giving it to him, i have yet tp get that back.

3) He took my V for vendetta and all three extended Lord Of the Rings DVDS to his girlfriends house, again without telling me. He said he was going to bring them back 2 week ago, and now he's gone on holiday for another 2 week.

4) He went on holiday this morning and he was planning on taking my body board which i payed £60 for for his girlfriend to use. I caught on his plan and he left without it.

I know there is more.

Actually seeing as someone mentioned a whoopie cousion . I took one to school one day when i was in primary. The teacher took it off me as i was apparently disrupting the class. At lunch time she tried to be a clown and put it under another teachers chair. The fat bastard burst it!

He then proceeded to tell me that he had brought it to a music shop with the idea of getting it repaired before he gave it back to me.

If indeed he did get it fixed before giving it back to me he admitted that he wouldn't have told me about the damage.

So he had the idea of getting it repaired, why the hell didn't he do so.

As I'm sure I've mentioned a few occasions my brother being a dick and getting my bike stolen. Finally got him to pay for another one. He asked to borrow my new one last night. I let him on the condition it would be back in the shed by the end of the night, and he owes me £8 for mudguards.

They were on the old bike but I only remembered a few days ago. Best to use a bit of leverage.

I lent one of my RA2 discs to my mate a few years ago. He brought it back and it was scratched to shit. I asked what happened and he said his sisters got hold of it somehow and it wasn't his fault. He refused to pay for a new one. Now I only loan stuff out to people I trust.

I lend a lot of my DVDs to my best friend, but have never lent a DVD off him. Think I do it just so I can have someone to discuss the film/TV season with :)

Lent Majora's Mask to somebody many years ago, and I got Doom 64 in return. We didn't trade back until recently as he had been 'away'... :hmm:

I lend things out pretty often, and usually don't have a problem. I typically don't even remember who I lend things to, but I eventually get them back anyway. However, once, probably 8 years ago, I lent my friend an N64 game. When I asked for it back, he told me he sold it. He sold my game for his own profit. He reimbursed me a fabulous $10, but I doubt that's all he got for a practically brand new $60 game back then.

I try not to lend shit out, in the event it'll somehow get scuffed up. One of my best mates is terrible for it, he had a habit of breaking cases or damaging them in some way, or getting a scratch or grime on discs(I hate fingerprints on discs, I try incredibly hard to keep discs as mint as I can, it was quite a shock when I used to see the kind of preowned games that came into game). So yeah, I don't like lending stuff out to anyone, even if they're very good friends. I'll avoid it if I can, regrettably making excuses rather than just be truthful, but sometimes I do and if the person returns it all right(as they did originally in Conzer's story) then I'd let them borrow stuff again. But of course, having read this, I'm now having second thoughts. I wouldn't lend anything worth more than £50-£100 to most friends though, only family, cos I know they wouldn't mess me about with it.

I once lent a whoopie cushion to my friend in year 5.....

She didn't give it back so I yelled at her in class, and everyone was on her side for some reason.

Bitch.

Lmao, I don't know why, but that mad me crack up.

I lent my Wii to a mate for a night, it took me 3 weeks to get it back.

On the other side of things, I once borried Worms 3D(when it first came out) from one of my mates (he's not anymore), he then Pissed me off by suddenyl saying he hated me, so I proceeded to sell the game and buy a game I'd been wanting for ages with it.

Yup, thats right, the cost of losing me as a mate is the princley sum of £30.

First off: Conzer16, this guy needs a damn good slapping.

Secondly: I only ever lend stuff to people I can trust, and never lend them anything worth more than about £20.

The worst that's happened to me is my CoD2 box's internal disc holder no longer keeps the disc in place as it's cracked, and my Total Annihilation box is all cracked, and wont shut properly. Fortunately, the prior is very cheap now, so if I ever need the box I can buy it again, and the latter is almost small enough to fit onto my 256mB flash stick.