Complete lack of respect

Apple_NdiB

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'd agree with mcj.

Forums are outlets for people frustrations, opinions and thoughts on everything and anything but because of the abstract-ness (sp?) of text people tend not to read said text in the context the author intended for it and an argument usually flares up.

N-E is mild in comparison to a lot of places. But I'm sure you know that.

First of all, with regards to the topic title and subject in question, I'd have to disagree with you. Yes, there are more than one or two argumentative people here, but I think the majority are pretty respectful.

This forum is searching for a middle-ground, I think. We're not a boring or empty forum, as there are quite a lot of regular posters, meaning that content keeps flowing. We are also not overly busy, meaning we don't have to trip over ourselves editting other peoples posts every five seconds.

The way I see it, every forum has its fair share of idiots, of elitists, of troublemakers, but it also has its share of bright sparks, of great discussion. Still, quite a lot of threads do end in arguments, or trouble occurs somewhere down the line, but you have to remember that this forum is still at the 'new' stage. For me, anyway. If you older members compare your earlier posts to your posts now, you'll notice that you gain a certain maturity. And, I have every confidence that the majority of this forum will essentially reach that level of maturity, and respectability in time.

The way I see it, every forum has its fair share of idiots, of elitists, of troublemakers, but it also has its share of bright sparks, of great discussion. Still, quite a lot of threads do end in arguments, or trouble occurs somewhere down the line, but you have to remember that this forum is still at the 'new' stage. For me, anyway. If you older members compare your earlier posts to your posts now, you'll notice that you gain a certain maturity. And, I have every confidence that the majority of this forum will essentially reach that level of maturity, and respectability in time.

But for people like solitanze and the ganondorf they are just failures at life:)

I'll agree with that; I certainly respect and feel a lot closer to those I've 'argued' with without them being a **** than anyone else.

I agree, I remember having an argument with The Bard ages ago. However now, after talking to him and playing Gears online, I've discovered he is infact an amazing guy.

To be brutal: this place attracts the wrong kind of people for the atmosphere you want. Too young, over-opinionated, under-read.

Just like us at GCXL? "HeY DoEs aNyOnE WaNt tO MaKe a wEbSiTe wItH Me?"

I remember what you were like man, I remember.

I'd say there's a base level of common decency, though. You shouldn't disrespect people by default.

Hmm...this is more like what I meant: you should show people common decency, but you should not bend over backwards to make sure their views, opinions, and beliefs are respected.

In my defense, I just don't seem to get along with Motion2000. I hate it when a someone who's supposed to be discussing in a forum, doesn't even try to understand all sides and opinions. People should be mature enough to admit when they're wrong or at least respect that not everyone thinks as they do.

i agree with apple on this, too much bad words used these days, started around 6 months or so ago.

you can argue or disagree, but no need to insult or get rude.

Aahhh, the good old days when we had the Banned words (they get changed when posted) or replace by astrix.

^ What difference does that make? A so called "bad" word being replaced by an asterisk when it's not the word that's important, but the intent behind it. What difference would that make, really? You can't take away people rights to say what they want.

Some people these days are so fucking prudish it makes me want to pull my hair out in frustration.

^ What difference does that make? A so called "bad" word being replaced by an asterisk when it's not the word that's important, but the intent behind it. What difference would that make, really? You can't take away people rights to say what they want.

Some people these days are so fucking prudish it makes me want to pull my hair out in frustration.

And some people swear so prolifically that they've diluted the words beyond measure.

I think Max was more reminiscing about the word filter rather than advocating it; it was never seen as an effective method of stopping people swearing. In any case, it's absolutely true that the language used on this board has taken a nosedive.

You'll probably just write me off as 'fucking prudish', but that would both be highly ironic and inaccurate. I don't mind swearing in the right context, but I dislike it when it's used for nothing more than needless embellishment. If you want to emphasise something then underline or embolden it instead of cheapening swearing through overuse.

Language is invective, and it doesn't take long to spread. Taking into account the wide age range found on this forum I think people should communicate appropriately. It isn't about youngsters learning the words as yes, they'll find them out somehow if they haven't come across them already. The point is if people inhabit an environment where some action goes uncommented or unchecked then it becomes a casual habit.

No, casual swearing isn't the biggest evil in the world, but I do think it's had a negative affect on here.

I wasn't referring to people on here actually, swearing is really used out of context a lot here, probably because people usually can't be bothered to look for the right word to articulate what they mean so they throw in whatever random swear word comes into their mind, for emphasis.

I was just ranting about people that overreact to swearing, thinking it's the greatest evil of all time, it's frustrating for me, when those words are hardly ever used in context anyway. There are more ways of being hurtful without using swearwords than there are with, that's all.

Shit happens, as they say.

The only person that irritates me, is the guy who thinks it's cool to troll. :S

lol

Also, I think the reason why some consider the place has gone down hill, is because a lot of the old (respected) members have left and a lot of new members have come in and not bonded well with the old (what's left of them) members.

But compared to Gamefaqs and Neogaf this place is a gold mine for forumers and Nintendo/gaming fans alike.