Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

I did a psychological experiment the other day and they asked for my sexuality and one of the options was:

I am predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual

What does that mean?

Does it mean I'll hug a man on the sofa while watching Deseperate housewives* but draw the line at having a penis put up my bum? :p

*I realise this is a highly stereotypical view.

There were many more options that I didn't even realise existed. I went with straight and got the hell out of there I was already being turned on by moving dots!

They probley used what is known as the Kinsey Scale.

Kinsey_Scale.gif

In this it uses a scale from 0, meaning exclusively heterosexual, to 6, meaning exclusively homosexual. Basically we all fit into one of these groups:

Rating Description

0 Exclusively heterosexual

1 Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual

2 Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual

3 Equally heterosexual and homosexual; bisexual.

4 Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual

5 Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual

6 Exclusively homosexual

X Asexual, Non-Sexual

By the looks of things you were referencing Rating 1; "Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual".

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the Kinsey scale been deemed rubbish by most people? I don't know, I'm no expert, just the impression I got. Although I do believe the varying degrees of hetero/homosexuality in people. ie, not as black and white as either straight or gay.

I dunno, but there is some back up for the research here:

Diamond, Milton. (1993). Homosexuality and bisexuality in different populations. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 22(4), 291-310. [uses Kinsey Scale to standardize and measure later studies' findings.]

Hansen, Charles E., and Evans, A. (1985). Bisexuality reconsidered: An idea in pursuit of a definition. Journal of Homosexuality, 11(1-2), 1-6. [Provides critique of Kinsey Scale and calls for other measures for bisexuality.]

Kinsey, Alfred C. et al. (1948/1998). Sexual Behavior in the Human Male. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; Bloomington: Indiana U. Press. [First publication of Kinsey's Heterosexual-Homosexual Rating Scale. Discusses Kinsey Scale, pp. 636-659.]

Kinsey, Alfred C. et al. (1953/1998). Sexual Behavior in the Human Female. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; Bloomington: Indiana U. Press. [Discusses the Kinsey Scale and presents comparisons of male and female data, pp. 468-475.]

McWhirter, David P., et al. (1990). Homosexuality/Heterosexuality: Concepts of Sexual Orientation. New York: Oxford University Press. [based on symposium at The Kinsey Institute. Discusses sexual orientation and the current usefulness of the Kinsey Scale. Includes other scales proposed by contributors to this work. One such scale is the Coleman Model of Clinical Assessment of Sexual Orientation.]

Ross, Michael W. (1983). Femininity, masculinity, and sexual orientation: Some cross-cultural comparisons. Journal of Homosexuality, 9(1), 27-35. [Combines the Bem Scale with Kinsey Scale across different nationalities.]

Sell, Randall L. (1997). Defining and measuring sexual orientation: A review. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 26(6), 643-658. [Outlines Kinsey Scale, Klein Scale, and Shively/DeCecco Scale.]

Van Wyk, Paul H., and Geist, Chrisann S. (1984). Psychosocial development of heterosexual, bisexual, and homosexual behavior. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 13(6), 505-544. [Adds a family development model to the Kinsey Scale.]

Further there is of course the two Kinsey studies; Sexual Behavior in the Human Male (1948) and Sexual Behavior in the Human Female (1953). It would seem however that the scale is mostly accepted in the gay community and not otherwise. While not totally accepted the work done was very influential and has opened debate on the "grey area".

Loosely on the subject of sex, shop owners can be funny. Was buying some condoms plus other things with my girlfriend the other day and the cashier, clearly seeing we had no bag, said "would you like a bag?". No thanks, we'll just walk around town showing these off, lol.

I am feeling really disgusted right now. I never knew that Alan Turing, who basically revolutionised the work at Bletchley Park decoding Enigma messages, was convicted of gross indecency for homosexual acts, chemically castrated and ended up committing suicide.

I am feeling really disgusted right now. I never knew that Alan Turing, who basically revolutionised the work at Bletchley Park decoding Enigma messages, was convicted of gross indecency for homosexual acts, chemically castrated and ended up committing suicide.

Yeah, it's really sad. Also sad that he isn't more famous than he is.

I'm glad that I saw someone dressed as him for the QueerFest "400 Years Of Queer Icons" fancy-dress though.

There was a public apology recently. That doesn't make it any better, but still, a nice enough gesture.

And he also came up with the universal Turing machine and the halting problem.

Yeah, it's really sad. Also sad that he isn't more famous than he is.

The other day one of my lecturers mentioned modal operators and was like "but these never really helped anybody," and I felt like pointing out that they were fairly fundamental to the development of the computer...

There was a public apology recently. That doesn't make it any better, but still, a nice enough gesture.

I posted the petition for that a while back in this thread, but I'm not sure if anyone responded.

I posted the petition for that a while back in this thread, but I'm not sure if anyone responded.

I somehow missed the public apology and your post.

Remembering him as a genius is the best apology we can give, I guess.

(Are we now allowed to start a sentence with a conjunction LinguiGrunch?)

I somehow missed the public apology and your post.

Remembering him as a genius is the best apology we can give, I guess.

(Are we now allowed to start a sentence with a conjunction LinguiGrunch?)

(Contrary to popular belief, linguists study how people use language, not tell them how to use it. The first of these is scientific, the second is pointless, and this view isn't at all controversial in linguistics. And you have to be very inflexible and prescriptive indeed to insist that nobody should start sentences with conjunctions - see this guy for instance. :heh:)

(Contrary to popular belief, linguists study how people use language, not tell them how to use it. The first of these is scientific, the second is pointless, and this view isn't at all controversial in linguistics. And you have to be very inflexible and prescriptive indeed to insist that nobody should start sentences with conjunctions - see this guy for instance. :heh:)

It was a question, not a criticism ;)

If it's not a genuine rule, why on earth do people bang on about it so much. That one is rhetorical, promise.

I never understood why it's not "proper" to start a main clause with a coordinating conjunction. It facilitates a fluid transistion between two sentences while still giving room for a pause in the speech flow.

Because people who make up prescriptive rules are often silly - see my post on Molly's profile.

Here, however, is a place of sexuality and not of grammar. :heh:

He killed himself by injecting an apple with cyanide, and took a bite out of it - it has never been confirmed nor denied, but it is said that Apple's logo is homage to the man.

It also makes me rather proud to see the statue of Alan Turing on the University of Surrey's campus to be part of an institution that sees fit to honour such a great man.

Because people who make up prescriptive rules are often silly - see my post on Molly's profile.

Here, however, is a place of sexuality and not of grammar. :heh:

We could discuss the gender of grammar - that's kinda to do with sexuality!

Or we could not...I'm easy.

Don't mind me.

He killed himself by injecting an apple with cyanide, and took a bite out of it - it has never been confirmed nor denied, but it is said that Apple's logo is homage to the man.

It also makes me rather proud to see the statue of Alan Turing on the University of Surrey's campus to be part of an institution that sees fit to honour such a great man.

... Me and shorty seem to have a habit (mostly him, as he's psychic, but still coming to terms with the fact) of having odd coincidences.

Yesterday, hours before Fish's post, I was telling Shorty about some story my mate told me the other day, to do with the apple logo and a poisoned apple.

Shorty; see, I was fairly iffy with the preciseness of what I was going on about -- but it wasn't all wrong!

• 1 month later...

Neil Patrick Harris is apparently gay man of the decade, according to an afterelton poll.

decaderesults2%20copy.jpg

It turned into one of those silly fan-led poll wars which meant it was only really a two-horse race between Barrowman and Harris unfortunately. I'm still surprised NPH won it, I thought all the Dr Who/Torchwood fans would have come out in droves.

Huzzah! At last' date=' I have risen atop John Barrowman! While excited, I must admit that I was worried he wouldn't like it. And yes, it may have been uncomfortable at first, but I soon saw that he was enjoying himself and, therefore, so did I. Good times. A fine way to start Aught Ten.

Joshing aside, I was pretty amazed at how this took on a life of it's own. Big thanks to everyone who threw a vote my way, but even bigger thanks to those who rallied their legions of fans on my behalf. That was very cool. (Jimmy Fallon? Totally unsolicited? How nice was that?!?) Thanks also to Michael and the gang at AfterElton.com, who seem to be the real winners. And to Twitter. My Twitter followers rock.

Mr. Barrowman, sir, well played. We have never actually met, but know that I am a fan of yours onstage/screen and off. You are a true class act, and represent yourself extremely well. Happy Decade to you.

While I am aware that there are far more deserving people for this award — Tony Kushner and Larry Kramer and Paul Rudnick and Ian McKellen and Dustin Lance Black spring to mind — I will humbly accept this honor. And I vow to not turn straight for at least another ten years.

BTW, what exactly do I win? A crown? A medal? Turtle Wax..? A tote bag..?

Happy 2010.[/quote']

Thoughts? Opinions? Agree? Disagree? etc

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!