Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

That's all 'normal' is, to be honest :P

.... it's really not, and it's rather naive to think it is. Would you call a white person in the UK "normal" and not a black person? Of course not, but that is the majority.

I'd agree with that. People often confuse majority with normality. But a person's sexuality should feel normal to them and that's the bottom line really. It's a subjective thing. People who have problems with another person's sexuality are often the ones with doubts about their own.

Really couldn't agree more. /thanks

That was Ellen DeGeneres, I believe. If you don't know her already, she's famously one of the first openly lesbian TV personalities in the States, and, amongst other things, got John McCain to admit that same-sex marriage was OK, and it was on her show that Obama did that famous little dance.

On the majority/normality point, if you ever hear a white person trying to claim homosexuality is wrong because they're a minority, tell them they're "wrong" because they're white, and therefore from Europe originally. A vast majority of the world's population is Asian, so, by their argument, they're a "wrong human". If anything, they'll realise how rediculous an argument it is, especially when you're the "guilty" party.

As for the Proposition 8 shenanigans, that was a case of the ultimate dick-move by voters. I would have called apathy and people not turning out to vote, but it was the same voting session as the Presidential vote, and loads of people turned out. As for what is proposed, why do people have a problem with people getting married? In the words of a Facebook group, "don't like gay marriage? Then don't get one and shut the fuck up!"

Ah, I recognised her voice but couldn't quite but a name to it. Thanks Fish! I do love the "don't like gay marriage" quote. I would loved have seen the videos that many of those clips were off. Some sound like they were said in front of an audience and so I would have loved to see the reaction.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... it's really not, and it's rather naive to think it is. Would you call a white person in the UK "normal" and not a black person? Of course not, but that is the majority.

Is the normal UK person a white person? Er, yes... You're trying to play the 'red bus' situation; by that I mean; my mate george was late for maths. He was late because the bus was late. Therefore the George is a bus? No. The typical UK individual is white. TRUFAX. The typical individual is heterosexual. TRUFAX. Normal in our context is that to which the majority of a population is... In this case, the majority of the UK is white.

Sorry.

If you want to argue about the meaning of normal then you'll find that I agree with the inately ostricising nature of the term. But as it is, you can't claim that I said anything wrong.

Yes, we're agreeing with each other while disagreeing, but the fact is I'm not wavering with my own terms. You are.

Is the normal UK person a white person? Er, yes... You're trying to play the 'red bus' situation; by that I mean; my mate george was late for maths. He was late because the bus was late. Therefore the George is a bus? No. The typical UK individual is white. TRUFAX. The typical individual is heterosexual. TRUFAX. Normal in our context is that to which the majority of a population is... In this case, the majority of the UK is white.

Sorry.

If you want to argue about the meaning of normal then you'll find that I agree with the inately ostricising nature of the term. But as it is, you can't claim that I said anything wrong.

Yes, we're agreeing with each other while disagreeing, but the fact is I'm not wavering with my own terms. You are.

Jeez, really no need for a hissy fit sister. :blank:

All I was saying was that normal is not the same as average or in turn majority. Being gay can be a completely normal thing, while not being the majority. To me it is all I know and all I will ever know. I wouldn't say I was abnormal, I honestly would be offended if someone came up to me and called me so. I just want people to understand that it is only a small part of my personality, a small part of me. I'm a lot more than just a gay man.

Edited by Fresh

Sorry.

So to you, black people aren't normal?

It's all semantics anyway. Everyone reads it differently.

Edited by Ronnie

Everyone reads it differently.

For example, a black person would read Jay's post as follows:

I'mo pop a cap in yo ass, mofucka. Shut up yo' tits, ho.

Or so I am led to believe.

It's all semantics anyway.

OH! You're blaming the Jews now?!

I hate when arguments/disagreements revolve around the meaning of a word.

Um, with bigots like homophobes, unless you explain why they're wrong, they'll think they're right. I don't like arguing semantics either, but sometimes it' got to be done. Also, simply reposting what you said before just makes it look like you haven't read what I've said, and that you're a tool.

So to you, black people aren't normal?

It's all semantics anyway. Everyone reads it differently.

That was my whole point in the first place.

Fresh; you're getting all bent out of shape. To quote a friend; "You're normal? What kind of sick freak are you?!" My point was just that which R_A posted; the definition of normal is the majority, but as someone else said, the word has different connotations depending on the situation you use it. It's not like I'm actually offending you, is it?

The above suggestions of my crazy way of thinking are all putting words into my mouth. My normative would be more along the lines of "people have sex with men or women, normally" as opposed to, y'know, animals and pies. Similarly, "people are normally 'black', 'white', 'red' or 'yellow'," as opposed to being invisible, purple or green.

Yes, there's a blade in the bobbing apples there. Don't bite.

Pendantry! It's a fun role to assume.

That was my whole point in the first place.

Fresh; you're getting all bent out of shape. To quote a friend; "You're normal? What kind of sick freak are you?!" My point was just that which R_A posted; the definition of normal is the majority, but as someone else said, the word has different connotations depending on the situation you use it. It's not like I'm actually offending you, is it?

The above suggestions of my crazy way of thinking are all putting words into my mouth. My normative would be more along the lines of "people have sex with men or women, normally" as opposed to, y'know, animals and pies. Similarly, "people are normally 'black', 'white', 'red' or 'yellow'," as opposed to being invisible, purple or green.

Yes, there's a blade in the bobbing apples there. Don't bite.

You're not at all offending me, I just have some hyper defensive button which sometimes gets switched. Trigger happy I suppose would be the best way to think of it. I understand the point you are making though.

"unamused, tired of the antics

sick of arguing over semantics"

Lyrical reply, happy :heh:

To skirt back to a previous issue, those "Some people are gay" adverts were again featured prominantly at train stations (in both Euston and Birmingham New Street they were on the big tv things). Curious.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!