Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Sod's Law

EEVILMURRAY

We all know what I mean here Gringo's. If something normally happens at a certain point etc etc it's referred to as Sod's Law. Typically, in a sense. Anyways, I've been toying with the idea of posting this for some time, so here we go.

Anything almost always happen to you which you attribute to Sod's Law?

I, Myself have this funny knack of every time I look at my watch it's either just turning into a new minute, or has just changed, basically the first or last seconds of a minute. Nine times out of ten I shit thee not.

I'm sure there was something else but I'm too tired to try and remember.

Go.

I've got the timekeeping thing, too. If somebody asks me the time, I can guess and usually get it pretty close on.

Traditional sod's law stuff though, a friend of a friend recently came down from Southampton to Brighton, and we kinda spent the whole night talking. Now, she's gone home, and I've got a crush on her.

A bit ironic, how I can guess the time, yet stupid things happen at stupid times. :heh:

We call it Murphy's Law in Ireland :)

Isn't there a difference between Murphy's Law and Sod's Law? Apparently people usually think of Sod's Law as Murphy's Law, but that law actually states that if something can be done wrong, it will be by someone somewhere. I remember seeing some pictures in relation to it once, and one was of someone who has tried to show a cd into a floppy drive. I think I'm wrong actually. Meh.

I can relate to the time thing though, whenever I'm at work and look at the clock it seems I always look at them at the same times, either that or the clock is broke :heh:

Oooh, another example, when you've been waiting ages at the bus stop for the bus, and it's getting incredibly later. It's 10 minutes late, you consider walking, but then decide it can't be much later. Then it's 20 minutes late, so you get ready to walk off, but dilly dally for a little bit because it can't possibly be any later, right? By now, it's 30 minutes late, and you've made up your mind, you're just gonna get walking. Just as you start, the bus arrives, or it passes you just after you've gone too far from the bus stop to make it back in time.

Sods Law?

When you go downstairs to make a sandwitch and theres only a crust left :(

That would be Awesome Law in my books, the crusts are the best pieces. :heh:

Everytime I walk into rileys, they always have UFC on. Can't complain really :heh:

IS that Riley's pool bar? I got a membership at the Stirline one recently.

Sod's law: In any given situation the worst possible outcome is happens far to often, even though it has the tiniest possible chance of happening.

Eg:

Having a full house in poker and getting beaten by a straight flush;

The one day you really need to go somewhere, having your tutor change his work handing in day for the first time in 3 years so you cant go.

Every time my room door seems to lock itself, I'm wearing just a towel (its a long walk to the porters lodge).

etc

Here's another example, also doubles as the rare act of me being generous being pissed on.

Since I'm the only bloke in the Demon TV News team, and knowing most of the ladies are single, one meeting coincided with Valentines Day. So I thought I'd get them all a card [one for the group, not one each. I'm not made of money.] After writing in it, with a Shabtastic poem inside I get a text "Meeting's cancelled because most people will have mushy stuff to do". Anal Discharge most people had that.

I also have the timekeeping wierdness going on. I have a subconscious desire to look at my clock around 10 o'clock and whenever I do it's guaranteed to say 22:22. I think it's down to your brain considering it as an important time and reminding you whenever it happens again. Though it's not important to me so I don't know why I remember it.

Going back to sods law it pretty much happens to me on a daily basis and is BLOODY ANNOYING. Me and my best mate have a sort of in joke where we predict when it'll strike again. Scary how accurate we can be. Seems to happen when you make a plan to do something for ages then it gets fucked up. The lesson here is never make plans.

Every time my room door seems to lock itself, I'm wearing just a towel (its a long walk to the porters lodge).

etc

Can totally relate to that. My room last year had a dodgy lock and so I had to take my keys with me at all times to avoid getting locked out. But you can guarantee that on the rare occasion I locked myself out I was half naked. And so a cold walk outside, round the corner, and up the street ensued in order to obtain a spare :(:o

Isn't there a difference between Murphy's Law and Sod's Law? Apparently people usually think of Sod's Law as Murphy's Law, but that law actually states that if something can be done wrong, it will be by someone somewhere. I remember seeing some pictures in relation to it once, and one was of someone who has tried to show a cd into a floppy drive. I think I'm wrong actually. Meh.

I can relate to the time thing though, whenever I'm at work and look at the clock it seems I always look at them at the same times, either that or the clock is broke :heh:

Oooh, another example, when you've been waiting ages at the bus stop for the bus, and it's getting incredibly later. It's 10 minutes late, you consider walking, but then decide it can't be much later. Then it's 20 minutes late, so you get ready to walk off, but dilly dally for a little bit because it can't possibly be any later, right? By now, it's 30 minutes late, and you've made up your mind, you're just gonna get walking. Just as you start, the bus arrives, or it passes you just after you've gone too far from the bus stop to make it back in time.

Murphy's Law states If something can go wrong, it will go wrong.

Is Sod's Law different? I though they were one and the same! Woops!

Wikipedia reference-linkSod's Law

According to the almighty Wikipedia, there is a minor difference between Murphy's and Sod's Law.

Yeah, I looked on wikipedia later, Sod's law is apparently broader than Murphy's Law, and theres also something else called Finagle's Law, which is related but I think narrower than Murphy's law, or more along the lines of if you do something to achieve something, the opposite will happen.