Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Should I get a Car?

Demuwan

Im at the age when Im seriously thinking about buying a car.(only cause I can now) But many people say buying a car before going to Uni is Stupid because it is just an unnecessary cost. What do you guys think about buying a car at 17. Is it stupid?

Where I live buses never come regularly so most people at my age in the area I live in drive ASAP. I have enough money saved 2 grand. To buy something decent but If its gonna cause more money problems later in life. With money being short when I go to Uni it may be a massive mistake. (My RS teacher keeps telling me)

What should I do??

Dont, if your going to uni you probably wont have any use for it once your there, i only know 2 people who have brought there cars with them to uni and they very rarely actually use them, coupled with huge loss in value over short periods and large petrol costs, get one after you have finished university.

It's not worth buying it if you're only going to be going to Uni in a year. However if you really feel you need one (most 17 year olds don't really need one) then you could probably get an old 2nd hand banger for below £1000. It wouldn't last long but it wouldn't need to.

I was in a similar situation, vis-a-vis the buses, and my tactics were these: I would ride the irregular buses mostly, dirty you understand, with the latest digital equipment, and if I was in a particularly bad mood or needed to get back for work or 8 Simple Rules or something I would give my friends a couple quid for petrol and ask that they take me home.

(I would waste time in coffee houses while waiting for the buses, sometimes with school work or a book, but there were usually other kids there.)

wouldnt buy a car if you was going uni cos of the added cost of running the car, you have £170 tax a year or £90 for 6 months, £45 MOT each yeah, general running cost Eg petrol, also the costs of fixing anything else that should go wrong. it will be that added strain you dont really need at uni!

Im considering learning to drive (or picking it up again I suppose) when I start uni as im commuting each day, so it would help. However the cost has deterred me in the past, and probably will. If you plan to live at Uni (not clear by your post, or at least to me) you're going to be within walking distance to the university anyway. Plus they charge you for having your car there, the average price is £100ish a year I think.

If your going to uni save you money for other luxuries, such as food. I had the choice to buy a car, driving lessons and insurance before i left for university. I'm reall glad i didnt else i would have actually starved to death, or turned into a bag of 4p noodles. Plus you'll never use it. All uni towns have great bus networks, and when you go out you'll be to drunk to drive home anyway.

If you have plenty of money and are working (and go to a university that allows you to work during term time), then getting a car might be a good idea. You won't use it, but if you arent using it, then you can't crash it, and its an easy 4-5 years no claims.

Guest Jordan

I've got my driving test next week (i'm shitting myself). I should pass, i'm a fairly good driver apparently! You see PGR3 does help in real life! :p

I plan to get a Ford Focus (one of the original models 2nd hand) for my first car. Small engine one though, obviously. Upside is, I pay for the car my parents are gunna pay for the insurance ;)

I'm not even to get a license before finishing uni. I have to pay for everything myself, and a driving license costs around 2000 euros in the Netherlands :sad: I'll need a decent job first, a really decent job.

Public transport is free for students so I'm not worried.

I've got my driving test next week (i'm shitting myself). I should pass, i'm a fairly good driver apparently! You see PGR3 does help in real life! :p

I plan to get a Ford Focus (one of the original models 2nd hand) for my first car. Small engine one though, obviously. Upside is, I pay for the car my parents are gunna pay for the insurance ;)

Good luck getting insured at all on a 1.4.

The car is actually the cheapest part, once you add on petrol/insurance/mot/road tax. That all adds up.

I'm lucky and my parents bought a second hand banger for about £1000 for my brother and I to practice in. They're ethinking about selling it now, and I'm thinking of buying it. It's not really worth anything anymore so I'll be able to get it cheaply. I think they are going to pay my insurance, they pay for my brothers. When I got added to the insurance as a provisional we didn't have to pay any extra at all because I was the 4th driver on it.

Go for it. Even if you don't take it to uni, you can still use it when you come home and after it.

My first car was an old F reg Astra... It was like driving a tank. That car taught me how to drive. I would recommend all new drivers get an old banger for a first car... they are cheap and in a mess already so doesnt matter if you prang it and also if you get a smaller engine you get cheaper insurance.

My 2nd and current car is a Fiesta, cost me £800 off an old lady who only used it for shopping. It's an L reg and still going...

However im currently looking for a new car at the moment. Not sure whether to go brand new and get a car on finance but then as i get the train to work it would sit in my garage costing my a few hundred quid a month. So i may just go for another second hand car with a budget of no more than £2000 so i can pay it all off at once.

*continues looking*

My first car was an old F reg Astra... It was like driving a tank. That car taught me how to drive. I would recommend all new drivers get an old banger for a first car... they are cheap and in a mess already so doesnt matter if you prang it and also if you get a smaller engine you get cheaper insurance.

I agree completely. My 106 is totally different to drive than my instructors car, my instructors car is so easy to drive, you press the brakes, you stop instantly, on my beast you press the brakes and you stop about a minute later. The gear stick wont slide into gears easily or anything..

I actually prefer driving it to my instructors car because it's so different....

It depends on alot of things...first get your license, if you havent got it yet, then you cant guess how long it'll take to get. Second if you'll be living in halls of residence you really wont need it. Avoid getting a car for as long as possible, they really do drain money, at 17 the insurance will almost cost you 2 thousand.

I understand the desire, it does make life alot easier, not going on the bus anymore is great. If you dont have your license yet, concentrate on that, it'll come in handy for when you want a car.

as someone who spends most of his day with parents of 17 year old males on the phone discussing insurance I would say a most definate no.

at 17, if you bought a 1 litre p registration corsa your insurance will be at least 1700 pounds. Probably more. You will be completely raped on insurance untill you are at least 21, probably 25 (which is the 'magic' age for insurance).

I was at uni, and there was no way I, or most of my mates could afford 200 - 300 a month for insurance, can you? Apart fromt he fact no-one else at uni will have a car, so you probably wont even use it.

the only possible advantage of getting a car now is to get no claims discount, but if you just wait a while till after uni you will be paying much less any way.

oh, and don't insure yourself ads a named driver on someone elses policy, it is illegal and means in the event of an accident, or any form of investigation your insurance will be invalidated and both you and the person 'fronting' you will get serious points on their lisence, which will cost you ALOT more in the long term.

if you do decide to get a car however and want insurance, call me 0121 2369960!

oh, and don't insure yourself ads a named driver on someone elses policy, it is illegal and means in the event of an accident, or any form of investigation your insurance will be invalidated and both you and the person 'fronting' you will get serious points on their lisence, which will cost you ALOT more in the long term.

What do you mean by that? I was thinking of buying a car, then putting my mum or dad as the main driver then put me as the 2nd driver so it would be much cheaper....

what do you mean if he insures him self as a named driver on another persons policy its illegal? i was insured as a named driver on my dads old insurance with direct line last year.