Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Sonic And The Secret Rings

Helmsly

in the summary they kind of explain (IGN)

I want to take moment to specifically explain the score. For me, Sonic and the Secret Rings offers moments of greatness where I find myself caught up in the intensity of the experience and, oppositely, moments where I want to pull my hair out or throw the Wii remote down because of imprecise control or insulting design choices. I think that some gamers, particularly diehard Sonic fans, will be able to get past these drawbacks and enjoy the great times, which are also in supply. However, for me it's really pretty simple. Call me harsh, but I don't believe you should be forced to deal with the bad to enjoy the good and hence, I've scored the game with that in mind.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there. I am a Sonic fan. Although I have yet to play this game myself, I, as a Sonic fan, automatically know absolutely everything there is to know about this game, even more then the professional journalists who have played this game. As such, I know better then them that this game is brilliant, without even having to play it, and that anyone who disagrees with me is wrong in the extreme. Anyone who denies that this game is anything other then perfection, is a heretic or a peadophile, (and unlike me, totally biased) and should be dragged into a quiet corner and shot. Because I know better.

Sincerely

Mr A. Sonic Fan

Hello there. I am a Sonic fan. Although I have yet to play this game myself, I, as a Sonic fan, automatically know absolutely everything there is to know about this game, even more then the professional journalists who have played this game.

TheSonicRetard is A) professional freelancer journalist and B) has had his review copy for a week. And knowing current trend of Wii reviews, many reviewers have rather cheap excuses for dumbing score (case: ExciteTruck*, for example).

* No reviewer seems to like it, but at Revo-Europe, NTSC-UK and Penny-Arcade forums most people have been quite happy with their purchase.

I want to take moment to specifically explain the score. For me, Sonic and the Secret Rings offers moments of greatness where I find myself caught up in the intensity of the experience and, oppositely, moments where I want to pull my hair out or throw the Wii remote down because of imprecise control or insulting design choices. I think that some gamers, particularly diehard Sonic fans, will be able to get past these drawbacks and enjoy the great times, which are also in supply. However, for me it's really pretty simple. Call me harsh, but I don't believe you should be forced to deal with the bad to enjoy the good and hence, I've scored the game with that in mind.

Pfft. When a reviewer feels they need to explicitly explain the review score they give, it really ought to ring alarm bells telling them that a) their score doesn't match the review they've written and b) they probably have prejudices that are clouding their judement. Sigh.

It's so irritating; spending time reading a worthless review. :( I suppose you still get a fair indication of the game by reading the main body of the review and ignoring the final summary and scores section.

And people call us Portuguese a mafia :laughing: and what about these websites and gaming industry always leveling their scores next to each-other... now THAT's a MAFIA.

It's so clear how in some cases a review from Gamespot or IGN can influence the whole industry... Actually I feel that a lot of times the first review influences all the following ones.

My gut feeling tells me this game rules, so IGN and Gamespot... up yours. :grin:

Did you see what SonicRetard commented on control issues? :)

Just read it now. He has got a point. I mean I was always more a sonic player when I was younger, had a megadrive before I got a SNES much later, so was always into Sonic, and have played through them all god knows how many times! thank god for Sonic Mega Collection! I would also consider myself to be pretty good at Sonic and can zoom through a lot of the level especially on Sonic 2 at some speed.

Comparing this to my girlfriend shows a different level of play though, she used to play it when she was younger apparently and she can play through fine enough, and soldier through the levels fine enough, but not on the same level of skill, so maybe the same can be said for this game? how once you have mastered each level you can just blast through them and look incredible at the game.

Mine does too. It didn't fail me on StarFox Adventures, Four Swords Adventures, Red Steel and Excite Truck

I have the same feeling... so im still buying this next week.

TBH i have given up reading reviews.. mainly because i find that other peoples opinions can be drasticly different to my own.

I have the same feeling... so im still buying this next week.

TBH i have given up reading reviews.. mainly because i find that other peoples opinions can be drasticly different to my own.

Very true but sometimes it is best to listen to others, if I didnt I wouldnt be playing ExciteTruck at the moment which is the most fun i have had on a game in a long time. I listen less to reviewers now and more to the people on here who clearly play the game alot longer than these "real" reviewers.

Like you I will be buying Sonic regardless of what the reviewers say, it cant be any worse than Sonic the Hedgehog on the 360.

*shudders*

Very true but sometimes it is best to listen to others, if I didnt I wouldnt be playing ExciteTruck at the moment which is the most fun i have had on a game in a long time. I listen less to reviewers now and more to the people on here who clearly play the game alot longer than these "real" reviewers.

Like you I will be buying Sonic regardless of what the reviewers say, it cant be any worse than Sonic the Hedgehog on the 360.

*shudders*

The general theme is that the game is actually good compared to the 360/PS3 Sonic games. Ignore IGN's review which was surprisingly lower than Gamespots:confused:

Hello there. I am a Sonic fan. Although I have yet to play this game myself, I, as a Sonic fan, automatically know absolutely everything there is to know about this game, even more then the professional journalists who have played this game. As such, I know better then them that this game is brilliant, without even having to play it, and that anyone who disagrees with me is wrong in the extreme. Anyone who denies that this game is anything other then perfection, is a heretic or a peadophile, (and unlike me, totally biased) and should be dragged into a quiet corner and shot. Because I know better.

Sincerely

Mr A. Sonic Fan

That is the best post EVER! Look, I kinda wanted this game to be a great game, but I knew all along it was , at best, going to be flawed. I'm sure it will still sell well, and I'm sure it'll be fun in parts. Hell, I even though SA2 BATTLE was fun at times.

I just had a thought on why Sonic Games are crap in 3D - because Sega never make any real effort with them. There have been 2 3D Mario games, 64 and Sunshine. There have been 5 3D Sonic games, Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog and Secret Rings. Maybe they should put a little more effort into producing them.

I read IGNs review earlier, some of thee bad points are just typical IGN style gripes, but the stuff they mentioned about going in reverse being a problem is a bit worrying, no? And using a button to slow down/ stop? I think its fair enough to say that using the controllers motion sensing to cover this aspect of the gameplay is a fair enough gripe to have.

I still expected it to get over 80% though for some reason.

I read IGNs review earlier, some of thee bad points are just typical IGN style gripes, but the stuff they mentioned about going in reverse being a problem is a bit worrying, no? And using a button to slow down/ stop? I think its fair enough to say that using the controllers motion sensing to cover this aspect of the gameplay is a fair enough gripe to have.

I still expected it to get over 80% though for some reason.

I didn't expect this game to be flawless.

But, as far as reviews go, I really couldn't give a damn about them anymore, really. People get far too hooked up about other people's opinions in this game that they forget about their own opinions. Look at the excitetruck thread, classic example. Nobody here was even going to get that game until some of us got our hands on it and started preaching about it. Then, some changed their minds and bought it.

I was going to get excitetruck no matter what reviews it received, and I plan to do the same with this. Good reviews or no good reviews.

I didn't expect this game to be flawless.

But, as far as reviews go, I really couldn't give a damn about them anymore, really. People get far too hooked up about other people's opinions in this game that they forget about their own opinions. Look at the excitetruck thread, classic example. Nobody here was even going to get that game until some of us got our hands on it and started preaching about it. Then, some changed their minds and bought it.

I was going to get excitetruck no matter what reviews it received, and I plan to do the same with this. Good reviews or no good reviews.

I feel exactly the same way!

I decide if I want a game or not by watching videos, reading about gameplay features, etc not what one guy thinks of it. The only way I know what these games score is because you guys post it on these forums - I never actually go looking for a review!

If it looks interesting to me (like Excite Truck) then I will buy it and to be honest I have rarely been let down by my judgement. If I am undecided then I'll ask for a range of opinions here, that'll tell me much more than one journalists (hidden agenda or not) could ever do!