N-Europe

Snakes!

gj15987

I LOVE snakes and would LOVE to see one in the wild but we don't have many in the UK :(

I live in Birmingham by the Lickey Hills and there are supposed to be Adders and Grass Snakes up there so I'm going up there tomorrow if its still sunny to see if I can find any basking on the rocks in the heath land.

Anyone else on here interested in snakes or other reptiles?

I absolutely love wildlife... any wildlife! Snakes are absolutely awesome! Never seen any in the wild... not likely to in England!

I stayed in LA, well Orange County in the hills with my family for a few months and went walking round a little nature park they had there. I was told that I might see snakes if i was lucky but didn't manage to... saw a fair few eagles though... man they were amazing, i was in complete awe!

I've seen a couple of wild ones in Spain. Last year we saw one in our garden there even; took some pics of it as well as a short movie. Plus I touched its tail; couldn't resist.

*will see if she can upload a pic tonight or tomorrow*

I've attached a pic of my Royal Python :D She's beautiful, bout a year and a half old now.

Hit London Zoo mate. Their reptile house rocks the cazbah (sp?). I did my research project there and the amount there is phenominal. Got Nile monitors, 2 Komodos and a pretty sick selection of snakes. They also have a very healthy breeding program and are selling some of the snakes for sure. They also have mini tortoises, whose babies are about the size of a bottle top!

http://www.zsl.org/london-zoo/animals/reptiles-and-fish/

Raja is the male Komodo and he's super friendly. Considering how dangerous their bite is, the keepers practically pet him like a dog... it's crazy!

St. Patrick got rid of all the snakes in Ireland, by tossing them into the irish sea, apperently thats why the irish sea is so rough. He prob did it as the snakes were eating the leperchauns thats why we have no wild snakes in Ireland.

I'd love a pet snake but i couldnt feed it mice and other things like that, as I love mice

This is a random thread...i like penguins, but i havent seen one in my garden because of global warming.

I shit you not, I actually saw penguins on a beach in south africa. proper huge colony and everything. must have been a couple of hundred of em.

I used to love snakes.

But if anyone remembers that scene in 'Road Trip'* , it almost happened to me with a friends 6 ft Indian Python. Only quick removal of my hand prevented a nasty accident , needless to say my love of snakes soon disappeared after that.

* I was using dead mice though , which may explain why the bloody snake wasn't interested in feeding on them.

Okay, two pics of the snake we saw last year. It was pretty long and thin, but I have no idea what exactly it was. So if anyone who knows anything about snakes can tell me what kind this is, that would be really cool.

slang1kn3.th.jpg

slang2ra2.th.jpg

Edit: and here's the short movie we captured of it. Too bad Youtube turns the quality of the video to something crappy. Meh.

I adore reptiles, particularly lizards. I have 2 at the moment, a bearded dragon and an argentine tegu. A couple of pics for your perusal;

1.png

tegueating.png

ages4.png

Id love to get more, but the tegu already has and 8ft cage taking up our front room so it will have to wait.

Ive seen quite a few wild lizards in Spain, Cyprus and Australia, but mostly just slow worms here. I did once see an adder, which a friend of mine startled when we were doing a biology project near the New Forest; it wasnt very pleased to see us and coiled up to strike, so we decided to leave well enough alone.

________

CHEAP VAPORIZERS

Edited by Johelian

My first proper encounter with a snake was in the woods when I was about 7. I saw a baby snake by a tree, called my friend over (who was nerdy that way and would know what type it was). I thought it would just be a grasssnake or whatever, but no. It was an adder, which as we all know are the most poisonous snake in the UK. So we dropped a rock on its tail so it couldn't move. Damn that made it angry.

Don't like snakes, never have done.

My first proper encounter with a snake was in the woods when I was about 7. I saw a baby snake by a tree, called my friend over (who was nerdy that way and would know what type it was). I thought it would just be a grasssnake or whatever, but no. It was an adder, which as we all know are the most poisonous snake in the UK. So we dropped a rock on its tail so it couldn't move. Damn that made it angry.

That's not nice. :hmm:

I remember coming across a slow worm (sp?) when I was about 5 and thinking it was a snake. My dad tried to pick it up but it ran away. I like reptiles... they are cool.

EDIT: Eenuh, with a bit of googling, I think your snake might be a juvenile Montpellier snake, Malpolon monspessulanus. The juveniles are a different colour to the adults...

Of course, I might be completely wrong.

Hehe, I watched a program on telly and they were doin an experiment to see how snakes react to people and the only time the snakes bit were when they were picked up. Apart from that they walked near em, proded em with sticks, even lightly trod on em and the snakes never moved a muscle.