NEurope
Goron_3

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

no way will it be released in the summer.

the game sounds great to me. been longing for a light gun type of game for ages and the fact that it's Resi, even better.

I believe in Capcom to get this right

Looking and sounding like it could be really good just now...but there's something "off" about the gameplay videos. I think it's how slow the speed is for a lightgun game...well I'm not sure, partly that and maybe partly how jittery the aiming reticule seems, it looks a bit annoying.

Yup, I know for sure now. I want this game. They're aiming for 10-20 hours of play time I believe, which is pretty decent. I think it'll be worth it to replay it too. Hopefully they'll announce a 2P mode. A shooting game is always more fun in a co-op way.

Only problem that may arise is that the camera can be controlled by the nunchuk analog stick. Just make 1P to do the camera and it'll be fine, wont it?

I am very dissapointed by the lack of 'gangsta' style. what were they thinking :(

It said in one of those write up thats the game is coming out in Summer though :/

Probably translation mistake, nothing else.

Aww, I guess there isn't a Resident Evil 4 section in this game anymore...

Dante, I think the game is a lot futher than 25% completed now, since its been in development for about a year and the actual game is also playable in some form, I'm expecting to see it's release around Q3/Q4.

Well I'm disappointed it has ended up being on the rails was still holding out hope it might have been a proper FPS, even though I knew this wasnt going to happen!

But I am pretty impressed with what I have seen so far...Only thing I would should be changed which is mentioned in one of the hands on is change the nunchuk to being shaked for reloading, imagine doing it with wiimote would be annoying and its not as if the nunchuk is being used for much else other than looking around to find ammo etc...

I saw the mention of using A for alternative routes aswell, would much rather they were dynamic, so say you see a rattling door you shoot it and enter that building/room instead...

15-20 hours sounds fine to me, means will be instantly able to have repeated run throughs....

I really do quite like the look of this game! I've never really got into the other Resident Evil games but I think the fast pace and style of this game would suit me down to the ground.

Loving the cheese-tastic dialogue.

"This one is tougher then I expected!"

"I bet his mouth isn't so tough!"

When she says "I bet his mouth isn't so tough!" she sounds so much like the mayor in South Park.

When she says "I bet his mouth isn't so tough!" she sounds so much like the mayor in South Park.
The way she says it, sounds like a man, or talking with it's mouth full, it's killing my erotic dreams with Jill

After watching some gameplay footage on this weeks 1upshow, I'm now not excited for this at all.

I won't be buying it, but I will be purchasing the Wii edition of RE4.

Im not too impressed with it either but as I said earlier it will still be bought.

Thing is they only really showed R Evil 1 off which has been done to death, if they had showed R Evil 2 sections off then I would be more hyped as I loved that game. Hopefully I will be able to blast Mr X to hell with a classic Racoon Police Department Leon. Also the thought of fighting Birkin again brings a smile to my face, sod it I am looking forward to it :grin:

Surprised at how good this looked. I was expecting rubbish but it does look like House of the Dead, which is a good thing really. Probably wont get it, depends o what else is out at the time.

Right now I'm more likely to get this than RE4:Wii. I seem to have stumbled upon an abbreviation there. Anyway, it looks good, I haven't played an arcadey shooter in ages and I wanna see RE2 & 3 places in better graphics.

This looks fantastic!! Definately one of my most anticipated Wii games!

I really hope they take the time to put in a 2 player co-op!

Can't wait to see more of this!

1. Wow that footage was awesome. Nice to see all the zombies back :D

2. This game is BEGGING for a co-op mode. It's so well suited to it.

3. I'm pretty impressed with the graphics, considering that it's only 25% done.

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles Press Release

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles is a brand new game in the Resident Evil franchise, with familiar locales from the entire series. This action/shooter hybrid reveals the back story behind the fall of the Umbrella Corporation by exploring locations from Resident Evil 0, 1, 2 and 3 as well as new never-before-seen locations, such as Umbrella's stronghold. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles combines first-person, light-gun style combat with interactive pathways, multiple weapons and new enemies to create an entirely new Resident Evil experience that could only be delivered on the Wii.

Features:

Using the Wii Remote as a gun, players can experience breathtaking combat against a horde of zombies and various creatures in dynamic first-person perspective.

480p and 16:9 Widescreen support

Certain weapons can destroy environments and items. Shoot objects and watch them splinter, explode and disintegrate.

Interactive paths – choose various routes and pathways through the game, allowing for multiple levels of replayability

Multiple weapons, including pistols, submachine guns, rocket launchers, the trusty knife, grenades and many more.

Classic locations from previous Resident Evil games in full 3D, including the mansion from the original and RE 0, and elements of Raccoon City from RE2 and 3.

Umbrella's stronghold, a new location, holds many secrets to events throughout the RE series

Returning characters from many RE games, including Billy Coen, Rebecca Chambers, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine and Carlos Oliveira.

Source: Capcom

Returning characters from many RE games, including Billy Coen, Rebecca Chambers, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine and Carlos Oliveira.
Yeah read that somewhere, thought it was posted here but guess not!

I hope Leon gets mentioned soon as being in the Resi 2 levels as he hasn't been yet!

But every other game has got both its two main characters so I expect he is!

An Ada section would be a nice addition to Resi 2 aswell!

After watching some gameplay footage on this weeks 1upshow, I'm now not excited for this at all.

I won't be buying it, but I will be purchasing the Wii edition of RE4.

I feel the same. But I must say that Mario Galaxy aside this has some of the best visuals so far for a Wii game.

With the recent revelation that Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles would be a first person shooter, the knee-jerk reaction has been to compare the game to the previous mediocre Gun Survivor series. However, early videos of Umbrella Chronicles, as well as comments by the director and producer about the title, really make this comparison worthless.

There were three Biohazard Gun Survivor games created. There was the first on the PSone, released in North America without GunCon compatibility, the second game was a CODE: Veronica derivative without voice acting, and the fourth was called Dead Aim. Umbrella Chronicles is also a first person shooter with traits common to the above three games, there are also many factors that distinguish Umbrella Chronicles from the above three games.

1. The three Gun Survivor games weren't exactly the same.

Yes, that's right. The three Gun Survivor games have more variation among themselves than the pre-RE4 mainline RE games did among themselves, so to even liken Umbrella Chronicles to "Gun Survivor" is extremely vague given that the games are fairly different from each other.

Gun Survivor was completely in first person, with an original cannon plot (thanks RE0!) and branching paths with a find-the-key adventure. Gun Survivor 2, also completely in first person, contained a non-canon plotline with no voice acting or original environments, being based in CODE: Veronica's settings. It was a two player game and was actually released in arcades. Like the original, find-a-key methodology although it was broken up into missions. Gun Survivor 4 was a first person/third person hybrid that emphasized killing zombies, but the third person component alone made it different.

So, to say that Umbrella Chronicles is another Gun Survivor means you need to identify which one. Not that many can do that since those who make the comparison probably haven't played the series anyway.

The only valid comparisons with the GS series are the first person view and Survivor 2's status as a CODE: Veronica retread (obviously to a far less grand scale).

2. Capcom did not develop the first two Gun Survivor games.

The fourth one that they developed is actually not that bad of a game, surprisingly. If you're going to liken a Tose-developed game (GS1) and a Namco-developed, CODE: Veronica-based arcade game to Umbrella Chronicles, which has a proven producer (director of RE4 PS2), then I'm going to liken FFXII to those Tose GBA FF ports in the name of fairness.

3. The Gun Survivor series had low production values. Umbrella Chronicles has high production values.

One look at the graphics will make this very clear. Gun Survivor 1 reused character models from RE2 (literally); Survivor 2 reused the actual CODE: Veronica engine and assets and didn't even have any voice acting. Gun Survivor 4, once again the best one, actually had a pretty good graphics engine, with some of the best blood effects in the series. But Umbrella Chronicles take last-gen RE graphics to a whole new level without stepping into RE5 territory.

4. You needed GunCons to get the best Gun Survivor experience. You need what comes with every Wii for Umbrella Chronicles.

Yep, in Japan, GunCon bundles doubled the cost of the games. The first Gun Survivor removed support in North America, and the second was never released there either. As expected, controlling the games with a D-Pad severely limited the quick-reaction the Gun Survivor games demanded. But with Umbrella Chronicles, everyone will get to use the Wii controller for the game.

5. Umbrella Chronicles actually ties into the main story.

Read the press release. We're taking Umbrella down in its stronghold!

The Gun Survivor series, on the other hand, were side stories seldom acknowledged by the main plot and this could be deemed forgettable in some respects (although I'll argue Dead Aim was pretty important to the RE4 intro). Anyone looking to have a complete look at the main RE storyline cannot ignore Umbrella Chronicles.

6. The Gun Survivor games were short. Umbrella Chronicles is going to be around 15 hours.

The first Gun Survivor can be completed in a little over an hour and was designed to be this way. Gun Survivor 2 can be done in less than 20, typical of an actual arcade game. Gun Survivor 4 can be completed in 30 minutes on a super speedrun. The Gun Survivor games are known to be quite short. Umbrella Chronicles, the first time around, will take 15 hours, which is how long RE4 took for many people on the first run.

7. Umbrella Chronicles actually goes for gameplay depth.

The Gun Survivor games largely were indiscriminate in terms of physics. A headshot was equal to a leg shot in terms of damage. But Umbrella Chronicles integrates headshots and body shots, contains timing hits (so not random firing to hit a boss) and allows for RE4-style reaction dodges and destructible environments. It will also have greater weapon variety and being based on as many as FOUR RE games, the greatest character, enemy, boss and locale variety.

8. Umbrella Chronicles is on rails.

This means you don't have freeform movement like in the Gun Survivor games. Movement in the first two was often a source of frustration for their awkward and unpolished gameplay (obviously this wasn't a problem with Dead Aim). So even the first person viewpoint comparisons will be a bit problematic.

9. If this were a Gun Survivor, Capcom would have said so.

I'd be good money an extra six months of development and no association with the Gun Survivor name would have done Dead Aim some good. But Capcom's not calling this a Gun Survivor game because Umbrella Chronicles isn't part of that series.

Conclusion

Stop comparing Umbrella Chronicles to the Gun Survivor series. It's an insult. Even if Umbrella Chronicles weren't that great of a game, which looks pretty unlikely at this point, the Gun Survivor games were bad because of lazy gameplay design and low production values. Umbrella Chronicles isn't being hurt by low production values, and videos show the gameplay to be solid, with early impressions

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150905