NEurope
Goron_3

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

I'll just wait for it to come out and see some footage and reviews for general opinion. It's still too soon.

I'm both intrigued and somewhat disappointed by the news of UC. On one hand, i want a RE4 style full-blown adventure, on the other hand, I really like light-gun style gameplay. I'm fine with the latter if only there's a lot of depth and length to it.

I can imagine you can only move forward and backward (flick the nunchuk to do a 180 for example), when zombies come too close you can flick the wiimote to do a kick or knife slash etc. It's not necessary to have a free-roaming style game, just give us more to do than just shooting, shooting and more shooting.

A mercenaries type of side game would be awesome. I spent lots of time playing that when i finished RE4.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this one. I'll give it the benefit on the doubt.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/778/778247p1.html

First Umbrella Chronicles Details

Survival horror? How about survival shooting?

by IGN Staff

April 4, 2007 - If you were expecting a full Resident Evil style adventure game in Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles for the Wii, you'd better sit down for this one. The latest issue of Famitsu has a first look at the game following the teaser look provided last September in the build up to the Tokyo Game Show. Surprisingly, Capcom has opted to make a gun shooting game rather than a survival horror adventure.

Umbrella Chronicles takes place from the first person as your characters move through a fully 3D mansion. Using the Wiimote, you take aim at enemies and fire away. You have control over your path only at the occasional branch points in the stages. Everywhere else, you're on a fixed path, although you are free to look around. Doing so is apparently the key to discovering secret items.

Outside of the first person shooting, the game will bring back the command-based event sequences of Resident Evil 4. During these sequences, you'll get to see the main characters directly face off against attacking zombies.

Umbrella Chronicles brings the original Resident Evil hero and heroine back into the spotlight. That's right, Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine play prominent roles this time around. Famitsu hints that they'll be adventuring together, although we're not sure if this means we can expect multiplayer support. The two S.T.A.R.S. members will be joined by some other recognizable characters, including Albert Wesker, Rebecca Chambers and Billy Coen.

The game's storyline looks like it will fit the name "Chronicles." You can expect to be filled in on the details behind everything from RE0 all the way to collapse of the Umbrella Corporation at the start of RE4.

Your first look at Umbrella Chronicles will likely come in late May, as Capcom will be including a trailer for the game with the Wii version of Resident Evil 4. As for the full game, it's currently 25% complete and without a final release date.

No release date for it yet and considering it's level op completeness it won't come out this year. Good to see RE4 getting such a quick launch in the US as well, apparently.

Famitsu translation: (some old, some new)

Bio Hazard: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)

First-person gun shooting (Gun Survivor?). You can't move freely, the game is "specialized for shooting". Entirely on rails, but you can look around with the analog stick and change the route you follow from time to time. Details the history of how Umbrella falls. Returning characters include Chris, Jill, Rebecca, Billy Cohen, Albert Wesker etc.

Bio Hazard 4: Wii Edition (Wii)

Beating the game adds Ada's "The Another Order"/"Separate Ways" from the PS2 version. Controls adapted for waggle, including Wiimote aiming. Waggle while holding down B to reload, waggle without holding to use your knife. Also comes with a trailer for Umbrella Chronicles.

Link

Originally Posted by Raiden_Fan:

Bio Hazard: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) Interview

At the end of the interview the interviewer says that he/she wants to get his hand on it ASAP and Kawata replies that when days become cold we would like to "freeze" you even more with horror.... So that means a Winter release for Bio UC.

There is a co-starring with many characters of the series, but they also assured to maintain the scenario integrity. Also speaking strictly Jill and Chirs in the past where solo guys but now things have changed a little bit.

Although the main characters of the game are the S.T.A.R.S., the leading part of the story falls upon Umbrella. And Wesker is even more a key person in the whole story.

The hardcore fans might have complaints about the game, so the creators intent to offer/provide even more terror & intensity to make up for the hardcore fanbase.

There is parting of ways during the gameplay, but you can't cut your own path freely.

So the player wont have these troublesome puzzles/riddles anymore to stuck with, the only thing that needs is to become a special in shooting.The article says clearly that (RE:UC) it is full polygon (if you can read Japanese of course).

Notes/Rumors/Confusion

- Capcom Gamers Day is April 12th. It is expected (by some, include me) that Capcom shows RE:UC in some form. I even read somewhere that your dear Matt Cassamasina said that RE4 Wii could be playable at the event.

- By the look of RE4 Wii scans, it seems that this version includes proper widescreen format. The black bars are gone, but they could be cropped. No official confirmation on this.

- It is believed (being determined right now by GAF Graphics Lab) that RE4 Wii has better textures than the GCN versions. Characters models seem to have no major improvement.

- RE:UC seems to be mostly 1st person, and changes to 3rd person when certain events (ala RE4) occur.

nice find Pedro.

If I remember correctly, Matt said in the IGN wii-kly podcast yesterday that he was really 'hoping and expecting' Resi to be playable at Capcom's Gamers Day.

Just posted that about 5 posts back!

Sorry! Good news is good news though :heh:

Could be Killer7 esque!

My thought exactly.

I hope it's not on rails, like Killer7 was, as that would be annoying as hell in an RE game.

This game looks very good actually and it's pretty far from being finished I suppose - Capcom really know how to squeeze the most power out of the GC/Wii but that doesn't come as a surprise.

I wonder how a lightgun style game will actually play since you can't use the Wiimote like a lightgun.

Trailer doesn't really show much, a bit of lightgun esque action that looks like House of the Dead....

From the initial revelation of this game to what it's become, I am totally disappointed. I wanted another RE4. I got another RE: Outbreak. The more I see of the Wii's future lineup, the more I want a 360.

Trailer doesn't really show much, a bit of lightgun esque action that looks like House of the Dead....

From the initial revelation of this game to what it's become, I am totally disappointed. I wanted another RE4. I got another RE: Outbreak.

Shorty speaks the truth although it really cant be any worse than Outbreak.

I have to say that I am disappointed with the direction they have took with this game but its still a must buy for me as I really want to see how Umbrella gets took down. Its just a shame it wont be happening via the old skool gameplay mechanics. The good thing is though that unlike the other Resident Evil lightgun games this one is focusing on the main characters and story of the series.

I got another RE: Outbreak.

It is nice to know that we have so many people who have already played this game. Do you guys work for Capcom's Q/A? :)

It is nice to know that we have so many people who have already played this game. Do you guys work for Capcom's Q/A? :)

Actually I have been helping them develop the game but when they took the lightgun route I had to leave the team due to creative differences.

Seriously though you are right in saying that we are judging too soon. I guess alot of us were all hoping for a traditional R Evil game thats all.

Seriously though you are right in saying that we are judging too soon. I guess alot of us were all hoping for a traditional R Evil game thats all.

Yeah, that's true. But we will see how it turns. At least graphics department has done great job (notice that game doesn't use pre-rendered scenes at all).

ME0000815989_2.jpg

uhh ohh.. close up textures :grin:

they're the exact same zombies from REmake on GC, the console had alot less RAM and used pre rendered scenery with still camera so they really weren't made for close-ups; it needs to be at least, retextured.

I think they're placeholders though, even their animations on the video are the one thing who seem to be rather unfinished.

I'm usually against jumping to conclusions but I'm quite confident with the assumption I've made here. We've certainly not got anything along the lines of RE4 have we? I'm not interested in FPS modes or controller novelties, I wanted a game that put controls aside and concentrated on just being a good game. I thought RE:UC might be the first one, and now I see that it probably won't.

So, what happens if it has a controller novelties and also happens to be a good game? Will you simply split yourself in half like bacterium and let each part of you go it's seperate way?