N-Europe

Kojima: PS3 Is Like A Movie Theater, Xbox Is DVD, Wii Is A TV!

DiemetriX

"To refresh your memory, last year I said the PlayStation 3 was a big meal that you have once a year, the 360 was a special meal that you have on weekends, and the Revolution - as it was called at the time - was your everyday meal. Last year, it was the same family changing meals according to the situation; that was my line on it.

Now, the PlayStation 3 is like a movie theater for people who want to see this movie on the big screen with THX and 5.1 audio, even if they have to pay a high price. The Xbox 360 is DVD. Basically, you don't know what movie you want to see, so you go to the store and see if you can pick up a good one. The Wii is like a TV for when you're home and you don't know what you want to watch but you [want to] have that variety.

So I think the three platforms are really distinctive and they mostly don't overlap each other -- people who love movies watch TV all the time. We have to be very quick [with what we're doing in terms of games]. We can't wait long to turn on TV, and also, the programs have to be in all varieties so everyone is satisifed, as opposed to the movie theaters, where everything has to be high spec. People want high emotions. You want to be touched watching it on the big screen. For DVD, or the 360, you need to have a lot of variety so when people stop by they'll pick up your product. Maybe in the future, you'll see three DVDs for $10.

Source

--

This sounds very pro Nintendo :) We want Kojima games :)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's basically saying that the PS3 is the special occasions kind of system, like the Sunday Lunch of consoles. A feast to have once in a while that you really enjoy but something you don't want all the time.

The Wii on the other hand is your average daily meal. Alternatively as he says, PS3 is kind of like going to the Cinema to see a film which you do once in a while and its a big screen, epic experience. Whereas Wii is TV, the thing you want to watch every day of the week.

For me that suggests that he sees PS3 as the place for really epic, long lasting titles with high production values. The Wii on the other hand is the system for short, fun everyday kind of games.

Yes, but what is the most balanced experience? The Wii and more so the 360.

The PS3's costs will drive away the idealistic developpers offering some of the best, but none of the rest games.

I don't have a problem with that statement.. though the scale statement is a little scewed I'll let him off.

I see Wii as a supplement for life, it's not going to consume it or change it.. it's just gonna be something fun to do.

Guest Stefkov

I see it as, the ps3 is like a new movie, you pay moeny to see it in a cinema, you pay more money for extras like popcorn, drink etc. and you get all the high tech stuff like big screen surround sound.or you can wait/downgrade(oo harsh but what else) and buy the DVD of the fim, you pay a certain price which isnt really dear, play it at home in the the comftable couch any time you want. You already have the extras like drinks and stuff bought.

thenthe wii. you wait tfor the film to comeo ut on tv, your watching it for free(minus all that ntl or whatever subscriptions) with eveything there, nothin to worry about like the DVd getting scratched.

in my head it sounded good.....

nice to see more praise for the wii.

From what i gather, he is basically saying the ps3 is for the minority, its like ps3 is for people with hdtvs, and surround sound and stuff, 360 are for those a level down, and the wii is for people with tvs, so thats a lot of people. thats how i see it.

Exactly what I think and thats also the reason why the Wii will not be seeing any MGS titles IMO. MGS games are always very good in terms of its graphics and sound etc and is more suited to the PS3. The Wii will probably see some sort of Konami puzzle or party game or something like that. Just my opinion though.

"To refresh your memory, last year I said the PlayStation 3 was a big meal that you have once a year, the 360 was a special meal that you have on weekends, and the Revolution - as it was called at the time - was your everyday meal. Last year, it was the same family changing meals according to the situation; that was my line on it.

Now, the PlayStation 3 is like a movie theater for people who want to see this movie on the big screen with THX and 5.1 audio, even if they have to pay a high price. The Xbox 360 is DVD. Basically, you don't know what movie you want to see, so you go to the store and see if you can pick up a good one. The Wii is like a TV for when you're home and you don't know what you want to watch but you [want to] have that variety.

So I think the three platforms are really distinctive and they mostly don't overlap each other -- people who love movies watch TV all the time. We have to be very quick [with what we're doing in terms of games]. We can't wait long to turn on TV, and also, the programs have to be in all varieties so everyone is satisifed, as opposed to the movie theaters, where everything has to be high spec. People want high emotions. You want to be touched watching it on the big screen. For DVD, or the 360, you need to have a lot of variety so when people stop by they'll pick up your product. Maybe in the future, you'll see three DVDs for $10.

Source

--

This sounds very pro Nintendo :) We want Kojima games :)

i was never a big fan of kojimas comments .He always seemed like he was full of crap.If he is so pro nintendo why doesnt he make at least one game for them.did he ever make any game for nintendo?(twin snakes is not included)

even a ds game would be nice.We might have hope since he is apparantly retiring from metal gear after metal gear 4(YEAH RIGHT!)

Well that's a bummer for me, cause I don't watch TV. I do watch a load of DVD's though, and occaionally go to the Cinema. Enough with the crap analogies already, they're unneeded, you can just say "Wii is for everyone" and be done with it.

Who gives a damn about tv sells. The basic idea he is saying is that the ps3 will give the best experience thats if you can afford to experience it. The xbox is for people who can afford the smae quality just downsized a bit with more freedom, every so often and the wii is for both people but will be the most basic but has the most "variety" and will only sell because its cheap. Yeah i want a cheap console but I don't want a cheap experience i want meaningful, excitement and depth, kojimas saying that wii is the kinda stuff you play while you're waiting to experience the "DVD" or wanting to go to the "Cinema", i mean who wants to watch something on tv when you can watch it at the cinema. Its a crap comparison because it deals in graphical power more than anything else whereas everybody know's wii's appeal is in innovation something that tv lacks.

"people who love movies watch TV all the time" - means people will buy an xbox or ps3 first, then a wii. if he added to this he'd probably say "and people who love tv want to see movies but they're so poor they just keep watching tv"

I think its pretty obvious that kojima likes to go to the cinema.

What a perfect analogy for the PS3. Everyone watches tv (everyone will be playing the Wii), A lot of people rent or buy DVDs (a lot of people will be buying a 360). Less and Less people are going to the movie theater (less and less people give a shit about the PS3).

(totally not copied from Digg)

i was never a big fan of kojimas comments .He always seemed like he was full of crap.If he is so pro nintendo why doesnt he make at least one game for them.did he ever make any game for nintendo?(twin snakes is not included)

even a ds game would be nice.We might have hope since he is apparantly retiring from metal gear after metal gear 4(YEAH RIGHT!)

Lunar knights and botakia are made by kojima.