N-Europe

Apple to acquire Nintendo?

DiemetriX

mario_apple.jpg

GameSpot reported on a rumour that a secret videogames division is being set up at Apple, headed up by LucasArts' technical director Mike Lampbell. The brief of the department is rumoured to be focused on games for the iPod, but some observers ask why a heavyweight in the industry would be recruited to make iPod games in the vein of the current bat-'n'-ball titles?

Online conspiracy theorists suggest that Apple is about to frag the gaming community with a revelation that could shake Microsoft to its core: Apple will buy Nintendo. What could be more quintessentially left-field Apple behaviour than buying out the US's number three games console manufacturer?

Apple's market cap is $51.7bn (Nintendo's is $23.1bn), so it's got a fair bit of financial clout. If Apple wanted to buy Nintendo it could theoretically raise debt to cover the cost because it has a good credit rating.

This is all based on a rumor

Source: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/digitalmusic/0,39029432,49276362,00.htm

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stefkov

probably a load of bull. ever since nintendo made the wii look wihe it all of a sudden was apple ipod inspired. they probably said this, but its a bit sad that some peopel will make this stuff up to please themselves, if its true then bugger me.

If Nintendo turned Microsoft down... why would they let Apple buy them for what would be less money?

Becuase Nintedo would lose their identety with MS. The don't need to lose their identety with Apple. This could be a way for both companyes to grow (proffit wise and company wise)

Yes I was doing some research on this rumour last night. It is just a rumour at the moment but it could be exactly what both companies need/want.

Nintendo want style.

Apple want video games.

If Apple are considering launching into the video games market via their iPod, they would do well to wait and see how Nintendo do with the Wii. I cant see Apple launching a takeover bid before Nintendo establish themselves (if they do) with the Wii console.

Also a hostile takeover is very unlikely. A mutual merger would be most likely as your quoted article also points out.

It would be a very interesting development if such a merger/takeover was to materialise.

......especially for Microsoft!

You are still forgetting that old Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi owns more than half of Nintendo shares... Unless he wants to, its never going to happen. And I doubt Yamauchi wants its company to merge with other.

Sure, just like a few months ago MacOS X was supposed to give windows a run for it's money running on x86...

It's not gonna happen, Nintendo is not for sale... If anyone had money for that it would be Microsoft... and they tried it in the past.

Nintendo is a profitable company since 1969 (uninterruptly), if anything could happen that would be a fusion, but it's highly doubtable.

Nintendo has more money than Sony's division (no kidding)

Nintendo held almost 900 billion yen in cash and deposits at the end of March, 30 percent larger than Sony's holdings.
Source: http://www.revo-europe.com/news.php?nid=2570

This means it would come cheaper for Apple to attempt to buy Sony's gaming division than Nintendo's.

My final conclusion? bogus... it's all bogus.

Those sorts of paralelisms between apple and Nintendo have been around since Nintendo did a console who wasn't grey/black (back in 1994 with GB special edition), both company's inovated on design and the Wiimote was described as a "Ipod shuffle inspired" till recently. it's just plain obvious to do that association... but it's not based on a actual connection.

This whole thing was started because some analyist wrote that it could happen (the links on slash dot). The article is a load of tripe, and stinks of trying to influence market prices. The author knows hardly anything aout computers, and his argument boils down to:

Nintendo wii and DS are white and stylish,

Apple make stylish white things

OMG they are merging!!!!111!!1!

Good post pedrocasilva :)

/add pedrocasilva to Favorites

It is possible that there will be a strategic relationship. I can envisage Apple paying nintendo to get itunes on the wii. But this would be at a later stage and depend on the success of the wii.
that would be sweet, but not necessarily exclusive to Nintendo... iTunes is a profitable service to the point where apple doesn't care where it is; we also have iTunes for windows, so why not for Xbox 360?

J. Allard: I'm pro consumer on this one to the end. Anybody in my company who thought this was a bad idea to plug in Sony or Apple devices into this thing, I ended that conversation pretty quickly. This is the right thing to do for consumers. Once they invest $500 in their digital media library, you can't ask them to go buy a 360 music player and a 360 digital camera, and a 360...NO! They got their stuff. They're going to want to plug it in. We're going to be open here, guys. And if anything, I wish we could be more cooperative with the other companies that are doing those things. And if Sony or Apple were to call me up and say, "Hey, we want to some special things with the 360," I'm on it. I think it would not be in anybody's interest to say, we're not going to work with 360. It's good for them, it's good for us, and it's good for consumers.
Source: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/660/660456p3.html

See, microsoft already gave them the shoulder and they have a multimedia driven machine, whereas Nintendo hasn't: DS Lite could have been a good oportunity to put in a SD card reader, or 256 MB of flash to store some mp3's, but Nintendo didn't bother; Wii will have a DVD player with optional playback (by buying a acessory to allow that). It doesn't show a change in the company's core philosophy.

I would love for it to happne as long as it happened in the way I would like. I mean that Apple try to keep Nintendo as a console maker, but help to develop their online ideas, make iTunes a distribution for games via the DS. A redesign for an intergrated iPod would do me as well.