Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Paper Mario

Sarka

So then can you all understand the points I have made regarding Nintendo in past topics and the present one? How long have we been waiting for this!? Expecting a Gamecube release, then after much delay we get something that can't even rival both its predeccesors!

Just imagine for a minute if it did have the mechanics of Paper Mario and Paper Mario 2; just imagine how great this would have been to play at a time like this...:(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up to chapter 6-1 today (completed 5-4). I gotta say that chapter 4-4 was awesome and kind of a refference to SMG with all the gravity changing. Doors on walls and ceilings and running around changing gravity was awesome. This game is very well designed and doesn't disapoint me. I'm progressing slowly as I don't play everyday but I should finish this before MP3 comes. But then SMG comes right on MP3's tail.... Quite a tight period.

I've only just picked up this game, looking forward to getting into it, only done chapter 1-1 so far as I couldn't get in much play time last night!

I would play more tonight but my mates round and he's playing through Twilight Princess... he's loving every second of it!

I'm on 7-3 at the moment, (this must be the slowest I've ever played through a game! :heh:) but playing this really has become like a total chore. :sad:

Apart from the odd few moments here and there I've not enjoyed this game very much at all, just want to get it out of the way now before Phantom Hourglass / Prime 3.

The biggest problem with SPM in my opinion is that the 2 genres haven’t fused together very well at all, not to mention it has some of the most annoying gameplay elements ever, I found it so tedious at times that I'd just switch off and not return to it for days.

Roll on Galaxy.

The first chapter is pure magic and gets you totally into the game. The second continues in this vein somewhat, but never really sets the world on fire. 3 and 4 are also both good fun, and then you slowly realise that you're simply not enjoying the game anymore. The story is so weak that you don't even have that for motivation, leading to a pretty tedious second half.

I wanna finish the game, i'm a completionist :p

I'm not having very much gaming fun atm, since Portal and HL2 EP2 everything i've played (PGR4, UT3 demo, Super Paper Mario) have just felt pointless!

Roll on Zelda, god that doesn't suck.

Right this game is driving me mad because I can't do something very simple between chapters 5 and 6.

Right, I need to get back to Flopside but I can't find it again even though I've been there before. All the guides say to go to Flipside, first floor, go right and go through a hole I made by using boomer on a crack. I got there (Past the fortune teller, that's the right of the 1st floor, right?) and there's nothing there. No crack, no hole, nowt. I've been there before, why can't I find my way back again?! Gah!

EDIT: Right, I understand the problem here. The first floor in all the guides is called the ground floor on the European version. How confusing.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see this thread again...

I think i'm on Chaper Five or Six... it's the one with the cavemen people.

I agree wth what's been said about it going downhill about Chapter Four. I think the last time it was great was the Geek Castle level. The secret arcade is good, but as somebosdy else has said the genres haven't fused well. I'm not interested in those card things whatsoever, and considering I spent about 150 hours on Baten Kaitos on the Magnus it's not because i'm lazy. I have no idea what the recipes are for and care not to. The levelling up seems so pointless too. And don't get me started how annoying it is finding the pillers in Flipside.

If they had cut out the reading, and made it like Super Mario World it would have been much better in my opinion. I just haven't been able to get into it so I have to keep playing like I did with the other Wii games I have bought.

There have been some small highlights: Geek castle I mentioned before, the Space levels and the Luigi-ship boss. The secret game arcade is worth mentioning again too.

However, despite all the above, it was probably still worth the £30.00.

Nice to see this thread again...

I think i'm on Chaper Five or Six... it's the one with the cavemen people.

I agree wth what's been said about it going downhill about Chapter Four. I think the last time it was great was the Geek Castle level. The secret arcade is good, but as somebosdy else has said the genres haven't fused well. I'm not interested in those card things whatsoever, and considering I spent about 150 hours on Baten Kaitos on the Magnus it's not because i'm lazy. I have no idea what the recipes are for and care not to. The levelling up seems so pointless too. And don't get me started how annoying it is finding the pillers in Flipside.

If they had cut out the reading, and made it like Super Mario World it would have been much better in my opinion. I just haven't been able to get into it so I have to keep playing like I did with the other Wii games I have bought.

There have been some small highlights: Geek castle I mentioned before, the Space levels and the Luigi-ship boss. The secret game arcade is worth mentioning again too.

However, despite all the above, it was probably still worth the £30.00.

I have to agree that the forced story made the game almost unbearable. The 'basic' approach with the whole retro pixellated feel was decent at first, but you soon saw that the primitive design wasn't done too well (simple boxes for lifts). The game was incredibly easy, what with being able to take little or no damage if you are an adept platformer (unlike turn based battles), and having items for use at any time to heal your massive reserve of HP made playing through this a chore.

One thing I don't agree on though is saying this was worth £33...for me it wasn't worth it at all.

I've had this game since it came out in the UK and I've yet to play it! Had too much to do and I had other games to play. Oh well, it won't get played on until I've finished Super Mario Galaxy. Unless I decide to play something else after SMG.

Two things, pne: Am I the only person who really liked this game? Yeah it had some annoying moments but not that bad! I thought it was great and genuinely funny.

And two: What is this secret arcade?

I wouldn't say it is great...its good...I left my final views some pages back...as for the secret arcade you aren't missing out on much.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I've got around to playing this game. It's been mostly fun so far. Really enjoying the 2D. Not so much the 3D as the D-pad sucks for moving around.

The graphics are fine but a tad basic in some parts.

Oh and wasn't chapter 2-3 (I think...) shit? Making you hit a block 100 times then making you run in a freakin hamster wheel for about 5 minutes. Not what I call fun at all. Who decided that would be a good idea?

I haven't found this game to be as funny as the others so far. In fact, the talking is starting to piss me off.

Up to chapter 4 (just about to start it).

• 3 months later...

To be honest this game has really left me feeling hollow and a bit disappointed...

Also Chapter 6 was perhaps the single most uninspiring, unimpressive, repetitive, awful game lengthier that has ever existed...follow that with Chapter 7 which largely consisted of jumping on clouds.. and looking for apples GREAT!

I know this thread hasn't been posted in for a few months, but having bought Super Paper Mario a day or two after it came out, I only recently started playing it in the last couple of weeks as I just never seemed to have time for it..

Having just finished Chapter 7-4, I have to agree with those points you made there, flameboy. Chapter 6 was truly awful.. if it had been more like The Thousand Year Door's Glitzville, it would have been so much better.. but going through each identical room to fight basically identical people in a basic crappy way for 20 rooms, and then just have to walk through the next 5 or 6 for no real reason? It was leaving a sour taste in my mouth which, to be honest, still hasn't left as hunting for apples and stuff has made this game a grind :hmm:

My only hope is that Chapter 8 ends the game on a high.. but with some of the guys you walk past in Chapter 6 saying they will 'meet you later' and me remembering a path or two I couldn't take in certain chapters because you didn't have the ability yet, I'm concerned I'm gonna be hunting through old levels..

I have really wanted to like this game, but there are just too many moments in it where I can't understand how they would possibly think it was fun! There is a lot of going back and forth through rooms that look basically the same (which some people may find disorientating.. I have been OK though, thankfully..) seemingly as a way of lengthing the game out a bit..

Don't get me wrong.. I don't hate Super Paper Mario, but it seemed like it could have so much potential with flipping between dimensions and old-school platforming mixed in.. but the game just hasn't excelled in any department. It feels like an unsettling blend of adventure and platform and doesn't really do either particularly well :hmm:

It has been a disappointment :(

Don't get me wrong.. I don't hate Super Paper Mario, but it seemed like it could have so much potential with flipping between dimensions and old-school platforming mixed in.. but the game just hasn't excelled in any department. It feels like an unsettling blend of adventure and platform and doesn't really do either particularly well :hmm:

It has been a disappointment :(

I do hate it. It started off really promisingly, the first chapter or two were good, and then instead of getting gradually better like most platformers it got gradually worse. I actually finished it, because I kept going on expecting it to get better, but it never did. Then it was over and I realised how awful it was.

I'm glad I didn't buy this game, didn't think this warranted money for what is essentially a crap platformer with the Paper Mario logo.

In fact I think I'll stop playing Paper Mario Games period seeing as I've beat both proper titles and don't think there was a great deal to tell them apart.

TTYD I played first and then downloaded VC 64 one, but thought that the puzzles ideas were too similar. TTYD still remains one of my favourite games because I played it first and lapped it up.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!