Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Spoilers Topic)

Ashley

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason is that the only person translating the game into the European languages is an elderly gentleman called Bert who Nintendo have placed in a small lounge with a bottle of brandy, a pipe, a Japanese Dictionary and a copy of the game that he doesn't know how to work. His name will be in the Credits, I promise you.

Lets think here.

Lost Oddessy was created on the 360, it was translated from Japanese into English in under a month or so and released in the Asian market, region free.

Its getting released at the end of the month in Europe. Thats a 40 hour RPG with thousands of lines of text and hunreds of which is spoken and all translated into: English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Italian and some form of Dutch.

Sooo... whats with the 6 month wait exactly?

I honestly couldn't agree more, it makes no sense.

Still, i'm loving the Mario Kart and Wii: Fit date.

I don't actually think its the translating, i think its all the registration and boxing processes that need to be done. Smash Bros is a big game.

Shouldnt take 6 months though. Tbh does anybody really think there are people in the dojo office translating this week? They are probably doing other things.

What I said when I first joined N-Europe: NINTENDO FREAKING LAZINESS! >(

Come on, the gaming world is no high school, they have their reasons.

It's probably something to do with game supplies, localisation, and not straining Wii supplies to much.

Brawl's DVDs aren't normal, they're the first DL Wii game, so the DVDs are made of gold (not totally lol that would be awesome), I bet it has something to do with that. Don't forget that it was delayed in Japan and USA too and it was near the release, so it was obviously due to production problems.

What's with all you people saying it doesn't make sense for it to come out later? It makes perfect sense...

...from a business perspective

Nintendo is a company aiming to make money and be successful. They knew Smash Bros would be later to arrive in Europe than the US due to translations and decided that since Mario Kart would be ready first it'd be their "big spring game" for Europe for the hardcore crowd and Wii Fit as the big casual game.

There's every chance Smash well be WELL finished its translations and conversion by April, but Nintendo will deliberately delay it to better position it at a time where there's not as many big games out. I mean if they launch it now, what would we have in the summer? Practically nothing. One of their big promises this gen was for there to be less "empty" periods. People feel like we already have those but that's because games like Batallion Wars are being ignored since mostly everyone only seems to care about the big franchises, which is a shame.

The reason we'll be getting MK first probably is because it's been more successful sales wise in Europe in the past than Smash Bros has.

Oh and one last thing, just because perhaps other games have faster translations doesn't mean Nintendo necessarily has as many people working on translations or at the same kind of pace. I also have this feeling that most of the work on the PAL version didn't commence until after the final code was ready, even if there was a few screens on the Smash site of PAL stuff.

actually, Sheik's physical gender seems to be male in OOT and Melee, but we all knew it was Zelda, who used magic to transform herslf into sheik, i know that if an evil thief king was after me and i was a princess, i'd turn myself into a guy

actually In melee it refers to sheik as a she! :awesome:

also on the dojo sheik is revered to as a she

this is what is says

Sheik doesn’t appear in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but we based her model on a design that was drafted up during the development of that game.

its just stupid how people can say its a he its just zelda in disguise

if you put on your sisters bra that doesn't make you female right?

this is what is says

Sheik doesn’t appear in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but we based her model on a design that was drafted up during the development of that game.

Yes, since it was based on the TP model, this Sheik may be female, while the OoT Sheik was male. That's my theory.

Good one James. Also you have to think about supply issues - this game is going to sell a million copies in a week wherever it launches - JPN, USA, EUROPE. Simple as that. Maybe Nintendo can't that many (as well as all the other games they have to). Maybe they want to release the game, make sure they can supply enough until it evens out, then release in the next territory, demand levels out release in the last territory - viola!!! Better than releasing a few hundred thousand in all territories at the same time probably is a shite strategy!!!

Good one James. Also you have to think about supply issues - this game is going to sell a million copies in a week wherever it launches - JPN, USA, EUROPE. Simple as that. Maybe Nintendo can't that many (as well as all the other games they have to). Maybe they want to release the game, make sure they can supply enough until it evens out, then release in the next territory, demand levels out release in the last territory - viola!!! Better than releasing a few hundred thousand in all territories at the same time probably is a shite strategy!!!

Logistics is an answer I can take, but they still chose everyone else before us.

Yes, since it was based on the TP model, this Sheik may be female, while the OoT Sheik was male. That's my theory.

Seeing as this debate is still going on....

In OoT a stone says that Zelda is a 'tomboy'. Look up the word in a dictionary, you get:

a girl who enjoys rough, noisy activities traditionally associated with boys.

This does not make them a man. Obviously. It just refers to how she sometimes acts like a man (in terms of strength, fighting against evil etc etc, and in terms of the fact she dresses like a man to hide)

In OoT we also meet Sheik, who is Zelda. No obviously here she is attempting to look like a man - that is sort of the entire point of the disguise - and THAT is why people in the game refer to sheik as a man. Purely because that is what Zelda made them think by strapping herself down and tying her hair up. It is entirely possibly for women to strap themselves in such a way that they appear almost as flat chested as men (obviously dependant on cup size but Zelda isn't the biggest girl)

Sheik is Zelda simply dressed up. She does not change gender. Also, I think it was king_V who posted a picture in which it looks like a man....that isn't official artwork, so it may just be from someone who has never played the game and was told to copy a character. Or whatever.

Zelda and Sheik are both female. It's not an opinion (otherwise I could say "Well, I've never seen that guy's genitalia, that could be a woman with small breasts" which is, frankly, stupid) it is a fact. Now please, let's move on. Super Smash Bros, remember?

Seeing as this debate is still going on....

In OoT a stone says that Zelda is a 'tomboy'. Look up the word in a dictionary, you get:

This does not make them a man. Obviously. It just refers to how she sometimes acts like a man (in terms of strength, fighting against evil etc etc, and in terms of the fact she dresses like a man to hide)

In OoT we also meet Sheik, who is Zelda. No obviously here she is attempting to look like a man - that is sort of the entire point of the disguise - and THAT is why people in the game refer to sheik as a man. Purely because that is what Zelda made them think by strapping herself down and tying her hair up. It is entirely possibly for women to strap themselves in such a way that they appear almost as flat chested as men (obviously dependant on cup size but Zelda isn't the biggest girl)

Sheik is Zelda simply dressed up. She does not change gender. Also, I think it was king_V who posted a picture in which it looks like a man....that isn't official artwork, so it may just be from someone who has never played the game and was told to copy a character. Or whatever.

Zelda and Sheik are both female. It's not an opinion (otherwise I could say "Well, I've never seen that guy's genitalia, that could be a woman with small breasts" which is, frankly, stupid) it is a fact. Now please, let's move on. Super Smash Bros, remember?

Grrrr i pretty much said most of this before ¬_¬ but people still seem to like the idea that sheik is male.

this is what is says

From Zeldapedia...

Sheik is Princess Zelda's alter ego in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Zelda passes herself off as a male Sheikah known as Sheik. With voice muffled and face concealed, wearing a form-fitting blue suit with the red Sheikah eye in the center, the character is essentially unrecognizable. Sheik plays the harp and teaches Link new songs to help him on his quest. When Link arrives at the Temple of Time near the end of the game, Sheik uses the Triforce of Wisdom to transform back into Zelda. It is assumed that she uses her magical skills (as a Sage) to change her skin tone, hair length, and eye color (and presumably her voice), as well as her build and her clothing. It has also been argued that Sheik's build may be simply concealed armor Zelda wears over her torso; however, this would restrict Sheik's flexibility and agility significantly, and so render this argument void.

The game is mum about the true nature and origin of Zelda's transformation/disguise. As to Sheik's gender, a scene towards the end of Ocarina of Time reveals that Sheik was Zelda in disguise all along. Zelda was a female who passed herself off as a male, which perhaps raises issues of gender identity in the Zelda series, something unusual (though not unheard of) for a Nintendo title. One of the Gossip Stones scattered around Hyrule in Ocarina of Time describes her royal highness as a tomboy. Also, according to the trophies and the instruction booklet for Super Smash Bros. Melee, Sheik is a female (it should be noted the the Super Smash Bros. series is not canon with any of the games that it's characters originate from). It is also interesting to note that Sheik's poses and general body form in Super Smash Bros. Melee are much more feminine than in Ocarina of Time.

Yet, in the Ocarina of Time manga, author Himekawa Akira depicted Zelda requesting her true identity be sealed. Impa transforms her into a male for her protection, then teaches him the way of the Sheikah (although this manga is also non-canon). Thus, Sheik's gender are controversial topics amongst fans of the franchise, and it is a popular device in The Legend of Zelda fan-fiction to use both characters, as separate entities. However, according to an issue of the Nintendo Power magazine, when Ganondorf attacked Hyrule (The time period in which he ruled over Hyrule), Zelda became incognito and hid with the Sheikah tribe, learning their ways and culture, giving her the ninja-like, red-eyed, secretive counterpart we know as Sheik.

As evidenced by her tendency to disappear using deku nuts, as well as her overall motif in Super Smash Brothers Melee; Sheik's movements and design are very ninja-like. This guise of Zelda has proven to be very popular amongst the series' fans, and many highly anticipate any kind of new appearance by Zelda's ninja-like form in future installments of the series.

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Sheik

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!