Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Galaxy

Ashley

That BAFTA thing is a bit ridiculous because, and already mentioned, SMG is from 2007. What release dates do the BAFTA consider...? :indeed:

One inside the time frame they decide, for example, a year that ends at the beginning of every November?

To be honest something like that makes perfect sense because it ensure that the games released on the latest holiday season don't get chosen simply because they're so fresh in the public's mind.

• 2 months later...

So I recently went back to this and played it through a second time to be able to finish it completely and seriously, what a disappointment the 121st star is! After all that hard work, the final star is so utterly pointless! I was hoping for some unique level where you had to alternate between characters or something interesting like that to complete it, but no, just a shitty purple coin challenge :mad:

So I recently went back to this and played it through a second time to be able to finish it completely and seriously, what a disappointment the 121st star is! After all that hard work, the final star is so utterly pointless! I was hoping for some unique level where you had to alternate between characters or something interesting like that to complete it, but no, just a shitty purple coin challenge :mad:

..hmm.. "challenge" :heh:

The game was well worth playing through twice to get every star though.. still my favourite Wii game :yay:

Listening to that Gusty Garden Galaxy music really makes me want to play this again. It's been well over 18 months since I last played it. The game really does have one of the best orchestral soundtracks in a game ever. Argh.... have to play this now. Just want to listen to the music.

Guest Captain Falcon

Listening to that music is making me want to go back and replay it.

I've finished twice with Mario and once with Luigi and I'm looking forward to do it all over again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - this is the best game on the system hands down.

Listening to that music is making me want to go back and replay it.

I've finished twice with Mario and once with Luigi and I'm looking forward to do it all over again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - this is the best game on the system hands down.

A disagreement here, the best game is without a doubt: SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL!

The Subspace Emissary is the absolute pinnacle of Nintendo-fanboyism :bouncy:

Guest Captain Falcon
A disagreement here, the best game is without a doubt: SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL!

The Subspace Emissary is the absolute pinnacle of Nintendo-fanboyism :bouncy:

That's the problem though, as great as SSBB is, it's playing on past emotions. It gives you a little of everything from your past and you love it because it doesn't go overboard with any one theme, but SMG gives me something from the future and I want to see more of it.

And if you were going to quote any part as being particularly good, I certainly wouldn't pick the Subspace Emissary which clearly demonstrated how poor the jumping mechanics are for the purposes of creating a side scrolling platformer.

The only reason that part works (and by works I mean is tolerable) is because they drop a new character in every ten minutes and the music is good (though again, it's remixes of classic tracks - the new music that plays there is a bit bland). The core gameplay is quite repetitive and has none of the crazy knockabout fun of playing an actual Brawl match which is 3 minutes of absolute mayhem and just what the game should be about.

That's the problem though, as great as SSBB is, it's playing on past emotions. It gives you a little of everything from your past and you love it because it doesn't go overboard with any one theme, but SMG gives me something from the future and I want to see more of it.

And if you were going to quote any part as being particularly good, I certainly wouldn't pick the Subspace Emissary which clearly demonstrated how poor the jumping mechanics are for the purposes of creating a side scrolling platformer.

The only reason that part works (and by works I mean is tolerable) is because they drop a new character in every ten minutes and the music is good (though again, it's remixes of classic tracks - the new music that plays there is a bit bland). The core gameplay is quite repetitive and has none of the crazy knockabout fun of playing an actual Brawl match which is 3 minutes of absolute mayhem and just what the game should be about.

When it comes to gameplay I understand, but I was actually referring to the cut-scenes:p

Guest Captain Falcon
When it comes to gameplay I understand, but I was actually referring to the cut-scenes:p

Fair enough, some are quite good - I really like Captain Falcon's entrance because it just sums up how awesome he is :p and the one where all the ships enter subspace as it gives me a Star Fox vibe - somebody make a good one please (Treasure, I'm looking in your direction).

Fair enough, some are quite good - I really like Captain Falcon's entrance because it just sums up how awesome he is :p and the one where all the ships enter subspace as it gives me a Star Fox vibe - somebody make a good one please (Treasure, I'm looking in your direction).

..don't say that :eek: I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo asked Treasure to transform Sin & Punishment 2 into Starfox game :heh:

It would be nice, of course, but I want Sin & Punishment 2 and a new Starfox :yay:

..and Super Mario Galaxy is amazing : peace:

Guest Captain Falcon
..don't say that :eek: I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo asked Treasure to transform Sin & Punishment 2 into Starfox game :heh:

It would be nice, of course, but I want Sin & Punishment 2 and a new Starfox :yay:

..and Super Mario Galaxy is amazing : peace:

Given that the main character has the ability to fly in certain parts of the game, it should give them the experience they need to sharpen up their craft and make a Star Fox that surpasses the 64.

Though you're right, they must finish S&P2 first - I'm really looking forward to that myself. The original had slightly fiddly controls (I'm guessing it wasn't an issue with the N64 pad), but wiimote aiming should fix what would be my only problem with the first.

And you're also right in that Super Mario Galaxy is amazing :p

I actually started replaying this yesterday, I'm up to Battlerock Galaxy at the moment having gotten all the stars I can by this point. It's the best game since Super Mario 64 in my book - that being my favourite game ever.