Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Ashley

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hands-on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Retro Studios becomes the first developer to prove the potential of the Wii-mote with first-person titles.

by Matt Casamassina

September 14, 2006 - Readers have almost certainly heard the news: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption has been delayed into next year. Not exactly the development we were all waiting to hear. However, we do have some spectacular news to report, too, which is that Retro Studios has become the first developer to prove the potential of the Wii-mote with first-person titles. Corruption was sometimes-clumsily controlled at E3 2006, but thanks to a new control method designed specifically for pros, that's no longer the case.

As we played a new single-level demo of the Prime 3 at Nintendo's Wii event in New York City, the game's designers came upon and told us that we absolutely needed to try the new "expert" control mode. They explained that they hoped it would satisfy our cravings for first-person maneuverability similar to a mouse and keyboard configuration in FPSs on the PC platform.

We started up a new level where heroine Samus Aran explores a vast space station and immediately switched to expert mode. We're happy to report that it simulates the accuracy of PC first-person shooters almost perfectly, and we found ourselves soaring through levels, zipping around corners, pulling quick turns and zapping down enemies with pinpoint precision without seconds. Simply put, Retro has nailed it - and it makes the wait to 2007 for the game that much more difficult. We're not kidding when we write that Prime 3 feels like a brand new game with this control.

The latest level looks quite a bit more gorgeous than the two missions on display at E3 2006, both of which were also present again in addition to the third. In it, Samus treks through another futuristic station as it floats through the galaxy. She encounters a variety of old and new space pirates, must user her morph into ball form in order to navigate in-wall passageways, use bombs to blow away barriers, and more. Again, players will use the Wii-mote as an extension of Aran's hand to open some doors. Hit the A button and near some locks and the option to thrust Aran's arm forward and into the object, which can then be twisted and turned with a gesture, feels as responsive as ever.

Some of the game's in-game cinemas are very atmospheric and impressive. In one scene, Samus must go into morphball mode and drop a bomb to propel herself into a nearby airlock. When she triggers the airlock, a cut-scene ensues that shows the character jettisoned into space, where she floats underneath a gigantic ship and eventually grabs onto a protruding lever and pulls herself back in through a gap in the structure. It looks absolutely fabulous - and you'll be able to see it for yourself in some of our movies coming soon.

Samus is controlled with the analog stick on the nunchuck attachment; its Z button makes her jump and double-jump and the C button rolls her into morphball form. The Wii-mote, meanwhile, is simply aimed at the screen for near-perfect accuracy. The process of turning - an issue in previous builds - is no longer problematic with the inclusion of expert control. Pressing the A button fires her weapon and the B trigger is still used for locking onto enemies.

The game is not yet running in 16:9 widescreen mode, but Retro is still looking into it. It does, however, support progressive-scan. We have to say, the new level looks great. Texture resolutions have been bumped up, bloom lighting complements areas, and the particle effects system is better than ever. Really, watch our latest videos and we think you'll be pretty impressed. The game runs for the most part at 60 frames per second, but we did notice a few spots where the fluidity dipped.

After E3 2006, our optimistic outlook on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption transformed purely into hope that Retro would not overlook the controls. But our optimism is back and stronger than ever. There is no doubt in our mind now that Prime 3 is going to play and look great when it finally arrives next year. Samus officially joins Galaxy and Brawl on 2007's must-have list.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732737p1.html

Hells yeah, videos coming soon.

what! where has this come from, we have only seen a Japanese release scheudle, just because its down for March 2007 in Japan does not mean it is delayed here. Wait until we here the US schedule tonight and Euro one tommorow before getting up set.

what! where has this come from, we have only seen a Japanese release scheudle, just because its down for March 2007 in Japan does not mean it is delayed here. Wait until we here the US schedule tonight and Euro one tommorow before getting up set.

Reggie said it was pushed back to 2007...

Im not sure if im happy or unhappy. Usually id be infuriated, but there are so many other game on the wii. Id probably be happy enough with wii sports (and the sweet menu system) on its own anyway. I'll probs get excite truck,sonic or red steel. Or whatever i feel like buying closer to the time. I'll probably just have a look in GAME and see which boxarts look the coolest. I'll check out the reviews too, obviously.

I'm actually glad they pushed it back.

I had the feeling it needed the extra time and it would also be a hard choice between Red Steel and MP3. Now I can enjoy both to their full extent.

But on the other hand when I see that there are cut-scenes, that there is dialog, that the environment is future-like shine, that Samus finally makes Bounty Hunter likes moves (--> space-walk) that the controls are very tight I want that game now.

This is exactly how I thought the ideal Metroid Prime should be for me. Retro must have been reading my mind.

Edit: and her mission begins on a starship when they engage an enemy :yay:

In that vid with the Controller settings changed to Expert:

1. Did you see the level of detail in Samus' face at the start? You could see huge detail in the pupils, irises, eyelashes. The graphics as a whole are looking much nicer.

2. Changing to Expert mode didn't seem to make much difference. I had thought Expert mode was where your view changes constantly, with the crosshair in the middle of the screen at all times. All it seemed to do was make the normal scheme more sensitive.

Anyway, I am so hyped for this game now. If they want to spend until Christmas 2007 making it the best game they can, that's fine by me.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!