NEurope
guarana

Red Steel -1ST Rev game screenshots in gameinformer

I love that pic you posted Pedro ,havn't seen it before.
Those weren't posted originally by me, it was Retro_Link who bought them to R-E it's just that the scans themselfes had heavy compression "artifacts" so I tried to clear them a little, there's another couple new scans/pics on the previous page. :)

Yea I know about Retro_Link posting it was just easier to point it out,hope they don't kill it and make a new one every year -year and a half.Looks good and shouldn't be ruined.Guess we get a sequal then and hope it ends with a cliff hanger.

Your saying that this game looks better at a smaller size with sharper picture. But there's no way that it will look like that on your TV, especially on a HDTV.

no i'm not saying that at all. i am only talking about the brightness or contrast between the pictures. scanning a mag picture can make any image look worse than if you just take a pic with a digi cam. Those scans are too red, simple as

I can't help but laugh from people that say this looks worse than XBOX games. Seriously, I'm speechless. Stabby, reading your comments here and in MLP cracked me up. Keep up the good work

I can't help but laugh from people that say this looks worse than XBOX games. Seriously, I'm speechless. Stabby, reading your comments here and in MLP cracked me up. Keep up the good work

Sorry, that might have been because of the low quality scans. The higher resolution ones look a lot better. However I'm still under the impression that some models look worse than Far Cry or Splinter Cell though. Just my opinion.

But I will love the Revolution, no matter how good the graphics are. It doesn't make me less hyped about it at all, I am more looking forward to Red Steel, Mario 128, Metroid Prime 3 and Zelda than any Xbox 360 and PS3 game.

I've thought this all through and I remember playing House of the Dead 3 and Time Crisis a few months ago. Although they had pretty bad graphics and no HD, I never cared about it and I kept playing it for hours. I was having the time of my life. That and more will be the experience I'll be getting with the Rev.

I guess I'm just worrying about Nintendo not being able to compete with the Xbox 360 and PS3. Even though the controller is cool, Nintendo will have trouble changing their image and a huge amount of gamers will always be graphic whores, no matter what.

The point every company needs to get across isn't for the graphic whores that are tech savy, but to the main audience. If a game can look impressive enough to a bystander, it's job is done. Those lightning effects and whatnot are truly nextgen, maybe somethings will be a little worse than the opposition but it won't be a big difference. Good to know you thought things over.

The graphics look slightly cartoonic in a way? I dont mean in a bad way. But when I look at the picture of the master, it looked somehow cartoonic. Perhaps its just the model. It still looks more than realistic enough.

The game looks pretty good and sounds like it'll be a blast to play, but I'm gonna have to say I'd definitely be lying if I said I thought it looked better than Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2 and some of the other high end Xbox games. I'd personally rate this around Resident Evil 4 level, or possibly a little above.

Here's some Ninja Gaiden shots for anyone who's unaware of what the Xbox is really capable of.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/951/ninjagaiden6fs.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/37/92840120050729screen0042bu.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/583/ninjagaiden20rg.jpg

^ Red Steel looks definetly better than that... anyway... why are we going over this now? Ninja Gaiden usually doesn't have a big draw distance for example... it uses most polygons on characters, kinda like a beat them up... and it doesn't have more enemies on-screen than RE4 to my knowledge...

Besides we don't even know how it is with Red Steel, how many enemies? open spaces? a whole city?

Also I know for sure that RE4 on GC pushes more polygons than Ninja Gaiden.

Red Steel looks way better than RE4 to me, the lightning is really next gen and look at the textures, the bump mapping, complexity of the guys on screen, things like glass breaking... explosions, it's all superior... including the scenarios... also on RE4 you couldn't lift tables like it's shown on one of the photos, there's just so much going on there...

but then again RE4 is the best looking game from last gen, to me. (not the biggest polygon pusher though)

I don't get you guys... first you were afraid the graphics wouldn't be next gen... now you're trying to make them be last gen, lol... as much as last gen could have good lightning effects in this game they are pushing at least Bloom and maybe HDR (i'd say they are, but I won't jump the gun with scans alone).

Also you mentioned Halo 2 who has less polygons than Halo and has lots of bump mapping, trust me... If Gamecube had more RAM it could reproduce Halo 2 with all the polygons and bump mapping with double the framerate easily, comparing that to next gen or better than Red Steel...

With that kind of reasoning you could say some X360 games are last gen aswell :mad:

once polygons get to a certain level its hard for the eye to pick it up. ESPECIALLY with fast action games.

Thats why i think games that will visually excel 'next-gen' will need great lighting and most of all perfect animations. Both of these im sure Rev is capable of.

In fact i really dont think there will be much of a noticable difference between platforms. it will all depend on the art direction of the developers.

That said, im sure certain games that have huge armies and ridiculous amounts of objects onscreen will be much easier to get by the messy code on the PS2 and 360. But who said you have to have that much going on for a game to be fun?

From what I can tell from the scans the graphics aren't really great but they're okay. It doesn't seem like it has moved that far from graphics that, at its best, the GameCube could push. I can't say it even surpasses RE4 much if at all but that's just because of art style, I think. The lighting for Red Steel looks competent but not something I was expecting from a next gen title. It seems that as though there's no shadow either. The polygon count looks a little low too particularly with the clothes (I can't believe we still have somewhat poorly made models with angular construction and no wrinkles, particulary with that picture of two guys beside that elderly Samurai) . Some characters look good (like that elderly man with the sword) but many others (probably canon fodder) don't look that well, blurry faces even (I hope it's because it's a scan). I hope their faces aren't like those with face textures mapped onto their heads but instead an actual polygon construction.

Now what could this mean? Well, it could be because it's early. They probably made the game using modified GameCube kits and didn't push it too far. This is what I'd like to know: Is this pushing Revolution or is this, much like any new console, just suffering from being a first year game. The clarity of some of the characters' faces probably pale in comparison because of it's a magazine scan. Some have compared these images with some Xbox games like Far Cry or Ninja Gaiden and stated that the latter actually look better. I agree but I'd like to reserve judgement until we actually get similar quality pics from Ubisoft and not some magazine scans. For now though the game seems like it runs on graphic engines like that of Unreal Engine 2.0 than Unreal 3.0 (or even Half-Life 2's engine) but ran on a more capable system where more polygons are pushed. If that's the case then it's no wonder it looks somewhat like last gen's games though better. I hope developers do better than that (from a graphical standpoint) because it seems as if all resources seem to be directed towards the PS3 and 360. I don't want them tweaking engines like Unreal 3.0 and such to fit within those systems but then use last gen's engines, tweak it a bit, and use than on Rev games simply because they THINK it can't handle better. Again, if engines were designed around the system and push its capabilities better then results should be better as oppose to trying to shoehorn PC engines onto a system that isn't designed the same way, unlike 360 which has such elements.

Regardless of the graphical quality, I can't say I'm impressed from a art style point of view but it's not bad. What I do insist upon is better animation. Throw in a hundred varieties of death scenes on top of another hundred behaviors, if you don't mind. Frankly, Oblivion alone, graphically looking good, won't do it for me. That game animates poorly in my opinion, not so much like characters run weird or anything, it's just that they look and talk strangely (I think I'll blame that at the fact that you can construct your own character like in MMORPGs which never feel like a "solid" being). You'd think that after all the progress in processing power we'd actually get something that behaves realistically. So far Half-Life 2 has some of what I want but I'm annoyed that that's all we've seen or achieved so far. I don't know if you guys and gals know what I mean but let's just say you hold up a camera to you eye and look at the world through that. Now, for example, go into a restaurant and imagine that you don't have that camera stuck to your eye the whole time. Talk to somebody, tap them on the shoulder, look around, some will look at you and some won't. If someone was watching TV and you pass by in front they'll look at you quickly until the TV isn't blocked. Y'know what I'm saying? Intricate details like that are what I want and by that I don't just mean graphic detail like those prerendered backgrounds in REmake, I want believeable animation, real traffic and pedestrian conditions (The Getaway 2 looks like it has that), etc.

Anyway, sorry for the long post.

developers don't have unlimited assets to make things look good most of the time they spend there resources on main charactors as you see in resident evil 4 the main charactors look insane wheres the enemys look just okay, you will find thats the case in many games epecaily in nextgen games where resources are even streached more.

I have to say i was stund when i saw the screens for the first time. but now i see the bigger screens i see that the charachter models aint that great as i thought they where. but you can surtanly say that the lighting is done pritty good.

Only i dont think that this game wil have the best graphics on the rev. I mean they dont even know how much power they can get out of the revolution. ther still working with a not finishd development kit right? And maybe they put more effort in using the controler than the graphics just like nintendo wants developers to do right?

I think for very good graphics we need to w8 for a nintendo title or maybe a square enix game. When i first saw SSB melee for the cube i was stund to by the graphics and i still think that it looks great. but tell me what do you think makes the game?

We have come to a point* at which artistic skill will play as much or more of a roll in "graphics". Knowing where and how to hide a systems short commings will play a big roll.

A good analogy would be renaissance art. The system is mearly the media the developers have available to them. Some can take a simple medium (bronze, marble, etc...) and make somthing great while others can be given a plethora of options (paints, material to paint on, etc...) and create nothing worth viewing (for my analogy this depends on your artistic tastes :p)

*It could be argued that last gen was the dawn of this time, regardless this gen is in this era

Here's some Ninja Gaiden shots for anyone who's unaware of what the Xbox is really capable of.

Here is guy who has actually played those games. And I can say that those pictures you posted were polished. Some jaggies have been removed, corners smoothened, resolution is higher and so on. Ninja Gaiden looks damn good when in action, but it doesn't look *that* good. Period. People should always understand game preview pictures have been always polished to hell and back.

Plus comparing promo screenshot to shitty scan is extremely lame. Especially when the scan is so bad that you can actually *count* JPEG artifact boxes and moirè patterns with your bare eyes. Textures, lightning effects and fine details especially suffer from this.

To evaluate my point more, here is link for Ninja Gaiden picture that you posted after JPEG compression / moirè pattern simulation. Doesn't look so pretty anymore, eh?

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9237/ninjagaidencompressed2rq.jpg

In another article over at TVG, their staff is reporting that Red Steel “will not feature gratuitous violence and is unlikely to feature blood as a result”. That is a stark contradiction of what we have heard about the game so far, leading us to believe the game will be extremely violent.

What do you think about this? Personally I wouldn't mind if there was no blood. There hasn't been any in the screens and I don't think it would look too out of place. However if you really can decapitate people then it would look a bit strange without blood. Imagine RE4 without the blood? :hmm:

RED STEEL TEASER WEBSITE OPEN

http://www.redsteelgame.com/

The Game has to be ready in 6 months... normally game-developement starts 5 to 6 months before release, and red steel is half ready! Soo you don´t think in 6 months threre´s no polishing anymore, noooo! of course not.....:rolleyes:

The Game has to be ready in 6 months... normally game-developement starts 5 to 6 months before release, and red steel is half ready! Soo you don´t think in 6 months threre´s no polishing anymore, noooo! of course not.....:rolleyes:

What?!?! Are you insane? The only game you will make in 6months is going to be a pile of shit, bugged to hell and back or the shortest and simplest game in existance. You need at least 9 months even if you have middleware.

If you are starting from fresh, creating the engine and everything, then I would say at least 18 months minimum. Small teams may take almost 2 years to make a game.