Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Coursework?!?!

Demuwan

Right Now I am doing my final year of my GCSE's and every one thats in my position will know coursework is a pain in the arse. Its makes us stay up at night, wake up early in the morning and stops us from doing things we'd rather been doing.

I thought I'd start this thread after just finishing my History coursework(pain in the arse) and I thought a thread was need for this topic. A place where you can moan about coursework. Argue if coursework is a good thing or not and maybe even get some much need help on coursework.

Maybe staying off the forums for a while( you know who Im talikng to ;) ) I think people of in this academic stage of their lives could benifit from something like this.

I know many people are willing to help about coursework and can I jsut say please don't blatently send coursework to each other (or copy). It might seem good at the time but can have serious repercussions.

To start off quite frankly I hate coursework.I intitially thought it was a great idea until it all pilled up and I had to wake up at 3 to finish it.

I didnt mind coursework when i was at school all those 7 years ago... History was alright from what i can remember think it was world war 1&2 and the Russian revolution. The only coursework i hated was Maths *shudders* but the rest, english, art, science etc werent too bad.

I'm in my final GCSE year and I have found most coursework okay, but the most irritating have been English and Graphics.

I remember waking up on the sunday morning knowing I had to do a 2000 word Shakespear essay with the deadline being the monday. What a horrible feeling that is.

Once its done though it makes you feel so relieved to of got it out the way.

Meh, coursework's not bad. I'm in my final year of my GCSES (11).

Generally it's not a matter of it being difficult, just putting in the time and getting into it and keep plugging at it. Most of them aren't that bad except English in which you get a pot load of it (6 I've done I think) and they're generally dull if they're analytical and not creative like writing a story (that's fairly easy, *looks at mature A* story).

I think it's generally a good thing, takes a slight pressure off the exam and can and generally will boost up your exam grade by one if you get a good mark in the CW.

Any who, what was everyone's Worst Coursework?

I found mine was a 5,000 word essay on war poetry for English... took so bluddy long and was so freakin' boring.

Am I the only person who did their coursework in advance, well in a non-the-night-before capacity - like ever?

Anyway I like coursework, as I got 100% on my A Level Media and English courseworks so it made exams easier. Not an exam man, hence why my uni course will be 100% coursework.

We are starting some coursework for media studies soon. Basically a story board for the first few minutes of a film. Should be nice and easy, i've had an idea for the beginning of this film since the beginning of the course.

All other coursework is shit though.

SHIT

At least all the other coursework I have had to do. English could be okay, since I like creative writing, but it rarely allowed me to be very creative and imaginitive :(

It's the longness it takes, when it really doesn't interest you in the slightest and you adopt the 'meh, this will do' attitude, and everything starts sucking.

My best tip would be dontlet it build it up. Also I ignored Graphics so I could do better on others. History was a right bastard cuz my teach was a bitch. The main thing about coursework that I hated: My English teacher lost the best bit of coursework I ever did. Because of that I got a B instead of an A for English lit.

Yea, seriously GCSE and even A-level coursework is pretty easy. each peice of work for university is about as long as a piece of coursework, and i get 2 of those a week minimum. I feel sorry for noodleman, dissitations are insane, im glad i get the choice not to do the final research year where i have to do one. whats your dissitation on? anything interesting?

As people have already said, you GCSE and A Level people don't know how easy you've got it. Wait until uni where you actually have to put some effort into your essays! Speaking of which, I have a summative essay due in on Monday. :sad: I should probably stop procrastinating on R-E...

Am I the only person who did their coursework in advance, well in a non-the-night-before capacity - like ever?

I always get my coursework done early, but it doesn't stop me hating it. I wish that everything depended on the exam; coursework doesn't teach you anything (except for my GCSE electronics, which taught me how to bullshit).

Anyway, luckily my choice of A-levels (biology, chemistry, double maths) has minimised my amount of coursework; I've worked out that for both AS and A2 I only have to do a total of 3 pieces- 2 chemistry and 1 maths. I have to do 2 of those three in this half of term though... :hmm:

As people have already said, you GCSE and A Level people don't know how easy you've got it. Wait until uni where you actually have to put some effort into your essays!

Well, you GCSE, A Level and undergrad people don't know how easy you've got it. Wait until you do a Masters/PhD where it takes several years to produce a single thesis.

Coursework is a breeze, particularly GCSE. It's just the thought of it that's off-putting, as it can be very time consuming; especially if, like me, you're discontent unless it's up to the standard you know you're capable of. It does pay off though.

As for the coursework vs exams debate, I'm partial to neither really. I like the fact that with coursework I'm not under much of a time constraint, so I have the liberty of being able to redraft and edit it until I'm satisfied. Although with exams I like how it's all over once you've left that exam room.

GCSE Science/Maths coursework? Typically the hardest:

http://www.freestudentstuff.co.uk

Don't copy and paste it, and don't tell your friends.. then you'll all get busted because the teachers DO NOTICE DUPLICATES.

I did okay in my GCSEs because all my coursework is shit hot.. I don't like the exams and struggle to pace myself even if I know the stuff.. and as mentioned a-levels are a freaking shock, if you can't handle GCSEs without getting help off the internet then you might want to consider a vocational course.. because you just can't handle it at a-level.

I've realised after a-levels that science isn't for me and I'm going to become a photographer or a carpenter or something.

I feel sorry for noodleman, dissitations are insane, im glad i get the choice not to do the final research year where i have to do one. whats your dissitation on? anything interesting?

I have to make and then write about a context aware student orgainiser that will run on a PDA.

meh if u think alevels/gcse is hard wait till u get to the degree level, there is not teacher to help you after lessons, once u have your assignment u got a average of 2 weeks, to do it no extensions (there is only under EXTREME circumstances) and u have hand on the dot, not even 30 secs over the deadline, if you do u get 10% penalised, each day from your overall mark, also u may get capped on your score to only 40%

yep uni sucks, especially top ranking uni's like mine

p.s GCSE course is a breeze heres a tip, get the maximum mark u can for the coursework, so in the exam if u mess up u still come out with a good grade at the end

I always get my coursework done early, but it doesn't stop me hating it. I wish that everything depended on the exam; coursework doesn't teach you anything (except for my GCSE electronics, which taught me how to bullshit).

I learnt a lot from my Media coursework (not much from my English other than the whole details of that Russian school being held hostage in 04). I also put a lot of effort into it, my bibliography was three pages long and my notes and ideas and stuff took up quite a bit of a notebook. Which is why I know I made the right choice for uni becasue I also enjoyed it, and I liked reading up about media theory.

Anyone doing A2 level media coursework I strongly suggest you pick a subject (ie film etc) you really like. Makes it a lot easier and enjoyable.

Guest Stefkov

i ahte coursework and ive got till the end of march i think to do it all. jsut electronics, IT and some others. hate the electronics, i dont see why we cant just make a working thing and get a mark for it, and all we do is say what it is?!?

I'm in my final GCSE year and I have found most coursework okay, but the most irritating have been English and Graphics.

Wow...those were the days...Graphics, we had so much fun in that lesson when we could, always messin about; i managed to pull a U out of it :D I reckon it would have been an E/D really thoguh, why the fuck was i given the higher paper?! :hmm:

Wow...those were the days...Graphics, we had so much fun in that lesson when we could, always messin about; i managed to pull a U out of it :D I reckon it would have been an E/D really thoguh, why the fuck was i given the higher paper?! :hmm:

Exactly the same with my Graphics lessons! Did hardly anything in the actual lesson and did my whole coursework in three days just getting it done for the deadline, still got an A as well!

I find ICT coursework to be most annoying, its so long an pointless, with so much tying, on the plus side though its worth round 40-40% of final mrks, an that is my only a level lesson with coursework, well real coursework anyway, i get law essays every other week. overall i prefere coursework, theres no reall presure, and you can use various aids to get it done.