Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Speaking of depressing vs uplifting, I watched Little Miss Sunshine for the first time the other day. It was much less feel good and frothy than I was expecting, weird as and depressing at times. But good.

Big wtf - how the hell does Paul Danno go from playing a 16 year old in this to playing at 28 year old in Gigantic, whilst fitting both parts perfectly, in the space of only 2 years? It's utterly, utterly insane. O and he was awesome when he breaks down in this. Best scream I've ever heard..

I love that film. Especially the music.

My biggest complaint would be about the VW bus they drive, they can only get it moving in 3rd gear :indeed: Which makes you wonder about when they undoubtedly had to stop at stop lights and what not anytime not on the freeway.

Truthfully, with a little knowledge the clutch is unneeded through all gears.

Did You Hear About The Morgans? (IIRC)

What you'd expect. Hugh Grant puts me off. I think people who play the same character/type in everything just put me off..worse with people like Ricky Gervais, who annyos me for some reason, and like Michael Cera etc.

But he was amusing, I liked the setting, yeah. Enjoyable run-of-the-mill stuff. Sarah Jessica Parker's face has never sat right with me though.

Up in the Air

Not bad. Enjoyed this movie but thats about it. Didn't blow my socks off or anything. But enjoyable nonetheless.

7/10

weirdly was gonna review that too...

I was disappointed. Just because it's topical doesn't mean it's over 90% greatness.

it's enjoyable enough 6/10

An Education

It amused me at the start that they mocked Worcester (where I went to uni/work). Although to be fair they said something like "Elgar was wasted at Worcester, too close to Birmingham. You can hear the horrible accent in his music" so it was more a mocking of Birmingham.

Anyway, predicable and by the books in terms of plot, although I still don't believe that the ending would have happened. Not enough Olivia Williams :p

Averagey.

(500) Days Of Summer

An excellent movie, with great acting all round and an excellent script.

Only complaint is the way all the days were mixed up aka pulp fiction style I think I would of prefered it if it was all in order, but then part of me thinks it might'nt of been as good then, agh I'm all confused lol.

That Summer is a real bitch though :(

8/10

Well, yes. I think Ashley was trying to say basically he made it popular in cinema (dunno if that's true or not).

Virginia Woolf used stream-of-conciousness a lot, she's the only although that I've read a lot of who used it loads, but it wasn't just her.

Well there's probably numerous examples. Although not "constant hopping around" (technical term I believe...) many classic Hollywood films have non-linear narratives; Sunset Boulevard and Citizen Kane to name two. Both technically start at the end.

Hell the bible is non-linear isn't it? I don't know, not read it in ages. But yeah, I know Pulp Fiction made non-linear narrative popular and a lot has come since then, but it existed before.

I dunno, it was a personal irk point. The way some people (namely Tarantino himself) think the sun shines out of his arse and cinema was rubbish before he came along (well...kinda, he is a huge film geek but he still has this "cinema would be boring if I wasn't around" vibe about him).

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover

cook_the_thief_his_wife_and_her_lover_dvd.jpg

Recommended by the headteacher/a mysterious woman at college who knows too much. I have to watch loads of films of an arty or historically relevant disposition now I'm planning to do/study film.

I really liked this, lovely visuals and like...the way...it moved. Can't really describe it. I suppose "direction", but it was cool, it felt like one big set, which it mostly was supposed to be (in one building for most of it). Engaging, well acted, ra ra ra.

Hell the bible is non-linear isn't it?

It's not so much non-linear as a random collection of stories written by different people at different times, that have been shoe-horned into all being about the same deity.

Anyhoo. Might be seeing The Road tonight. I hope it manages to be better than most post-apocalyptic things are (haven't read the book and so am seeing it in ignorance).

Kiki's delivery service

My second favourite Ghibli film, I love this one, although I get really sad when Jiji stops talking!

Princess Mononoke

This films abit crazy, but nonetheless I love the film, nice story, good characters etc etc and those earth spirit type things are such cute in a very creepy way..

Night at the museum 2

Everything seemed to move quite quick compared to the first. But omfg how cute is the octopus *squeeeee*

Edited by nightwolf

Sooooo I finally went to see Avatar 3D, an absolute visual treat from start to finish, I could guess the story line watching the trailers, but boy was it good.

Douche bag blond after the film says, not alot of it was in 3D!!! errrrm, it was all in 3D, foreground and background, bitch, done subtlety. Not your cheesy shit.

Sooooo I finally went to see Avatar 3D, an absolute visual treat from start to finish, I could guess the story line watching the trailers, but boy was it good.

Douche bag blond after the film says, not alot of it was in 3D!!! errrrm, it was all in 3D, foreground and background, bitch, done subtlety. Not your cheesy shit.

She was probably expecting vines to swing out into her eyes and shit like that.