N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I have into temptation and decided to watch the unfinished version. The effects were missing from most of the wide-angle shots, the final fight as well as one or two short segments dotted throughout the film (I have an imagination, I can fill in the gaps). Based on the effects that are in the film (Gambit = fucking awesome) it's easy to say that the missing effects will be amazing.

Even with the missing effects, the film was still highly enjoyable, and it's a much, much better film than X-Men 3. Actually, I think I liked it more than all three of the X-Men films, the humour is great and is put in at the right moments and there's plenty of other mutants while keeping the focus on Wolverine. My only complaint:

There's a bunch of mutants near the end and very few use their powers to fight

I won't give it a score now but I predict that I will give it a 9/10 when I see it with the effects. Can't wait for the full version.

Edit: Apparently a lot of fans hated it because loads of things are wrong.

Edited by Cube

The Mist

A bunch of people are trapped in a supermarket and do nothing for a long while. Characters talk but don't develop (so you never care about them) and are attacked at two points by bad CGI, which make no sense (there's to pterodactyl-like creatures one completely ignores humans suggesting that they only eat oversized insects then another pterodactyl-like creature bursts in and starts eating humans).

They then decide to do something interesting and pop next door, where they fight more bad CGI and silly string. An old lady develops a great way of fighting the creatures but then totally forgets that it worked and everyone just reverts to the tactics that haven't worked at all.

Some people decide to leave while others turn into brainless cultists (which the sane people said would happen at the start), the creatures attack but give up when it's convinient for the "story" to progress. The lead guy drives to his house, finds his dead wife, and does the worst-acted crying ever seen in a film, they drive for a bit. They drive for a bit more. They give up and decide to commit suicide, dispite before risking their lives outside to save one life. There isn't enough bullets so the lead guy steps outside and naturally the army shows up, having solved the problem.

And the most shocking thing....it was based on the works of Steven King.

1.5/10

This is one of the few cases where a film would be much better as a generic alien action horror.

Edited by Cube

Stigmata

A bit pointless. There was evidence of the director having an artistic style to filmmaking, but it wasn't that good anyway. Patricia Arquette didn't act very well, and I didn't care about her character.

The whole film is just aa vehicle for the director's feelings on the Vatican.

He has a fair point, it's a fucked up religion, catholicism, but there's better, more intelligent ways of getting your views across than in a bad exorcist rip-off.

ALLTHOUGH it gets 11/10 from including All Is Full Of Love by Bjork in the soundtrack.

11/10 (with Bjork)

3/10 (without)

Unforgiven

I'm not a huge fan of Western films. I feel that they sort out grew outdated very fast. The only western film I like was Blazin' Saddles but that's not a true western so doesn't count. Anyways, I feel rather indifferent towards this. It was neither good nor bad. The script leaves alot to be desired as it left somethings completely up in the air and didn't close off sections of the story. For example, with the ending they completely missed out on closing the main storyline with the girl who had her face cut up, instead choosing to leave it merely as a revenge scene for Eastwood over the death and exhibition of his partner.

There was also no real on-screen chemistry between the characters. We have two of the greatest actors alive today, Eastwood and Freeman, on screen quite a lot yet their dialogue doesn't go anywhere and at times just feels slightly forced and unnecessary. Schofield Kid brought nothing to the story other than to try and make Will feel bad about what he had done in the past yet he was the reason that Will started killing again.

Don't know if I'd watch it again. As I said, I'm not a huge fan of westerns and for those in a similar boat, this won't change that attitude. I'm not going to give it a score because I don't feel I can but I will say that the whole thing could have been done much better than it was.

Edit: Apparently a lot of fans hated it because loads of things are wrong.

See....I kinda hate people like this. Its a fucking film. Not every single detail has to be correct.

Wolverine and Sabretooth are brothers right? I've heard people complain about that. But really...what does it matter. Have Sabretooths origins even been looked into in comics*

*Actually, probably yeah.

But still.

Its got the character, and general circumstances. It doesn't matter if things change. To a certain extent.....

Unforgiven is an amazing, powerful film. I've always been very 'meh' towards westerns and, to some extent, Eastwood's lockjaw-style way of acting... and I remember my dad saying "here son, watch this! Even if you don't like westerns, you'll appreciate this." blah blah.

You ever seen Last Man Standing? Western meets Noir meets Bruce Willis. Good film. Try West World for some western-meets-robots, too.

Will do, seeing as I have nothing else to do this Easter. Just really don't know what to think of Unforgiven. As I said, it wasn't good but it wasn't bad. There was something missing in my eye and the ending annoyed me, leaving things a bit open. Needed a bit of closure with the woman.

Rosemary's Baby

Wow! That was brilliant. Great performances, especially Ruth Gordan, who after watching, I found out won an Oscar for it.

ALSO

I never read the blurbs of films. THANK FUCK I DIDN'T read this one! Just read it now, and it gives away the entire films mystery. Literally. The first two acts are rendered pointless if you read the blurb. Jesus. Films aren't meant to be watched after reading blurbs/watching trailers imo. So in a way, you have to go by word of mouth/title/genre.

Generally avoiding the cliche as a film though. Mia Farrow looked disturbinglu like a friends ex-boyfriend.

10/10

Monsters VS Aliens

Was brilliant. The action sequences are second to none...or rather one in particular. Very funny, very good voice acting particularly (I know I bum him but its true in this) Seth Rogen, and Reese Witherspoon was suprisingly un-irritating and good delivery.

8.8/10

One of my fave animateds.

The Haunting In Conneticut

OMG would basically sum it up. It wasn't the best film by a longshot, but it made me jump so many freaking times. A mate kept grabbing my leg everytime she got freaked, which then made me jump even more...which didn't help.

Plus, when they guy said "I can feel him inside me every night" I burst into uncontrollable laughter. Yes, I'm a 12 year old.

Scare factor - 9

Edited by Slaggis

Body of Lies

Bit dissapointed by this, as expecting it to be awesome.

Didn't like Russell Crow in his role much, didn't like his character either.

Film seemed to drag in quite a few places, with wierd pacing throughout and seemed too long overall.

Ending was a bit predictable aswell, and I didn't think the final scenes had enough punch to them.

7/10

Watched The Grudge last night...

I thought it was fairly shite. It wasn't scary in the slightest and since its a horror film (apparently) it kinda failed. It might just be me though since one of my mates said it shit him up a bit the first time he saw it and the other was terrified all the way through...