NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

I find it odd that I can throw away all logic for Up, yet for Avatar all I can see is a broken plot where nothing is explained well.

what's not explained? it's one of the easiest movies to understand ever.

it's like an updated version of Pocahontas which I loved,

If the internet didn't exist I wonder how many people would compare it to pocahontas. It seems to be doomed to be compares to that movie forever because some smart guy made a video.

Edited by mcj metroid
Automerged Doublepost

If the internet didn't exist I wonder how many people would compare it to pocahontas. It seems to be doomed to be compares to that movie forever because some smart guy made a video.

No, it's just really obvious.

People were saying that Avatar looked like pocahontas/dances with woles/ferngully when the first trailer came out.

It is that obvious!

The two biggest issues:

1. Why are they fighting? Instead of an explanation, they use a fake element name used in comedy/parody films and say nothing more about it. Furthermore, the only "unobtanium" you actually see is a small floating rock. Which is odd as it has nothing to do with the floating mountains. They didn't even think about why they were fighting and it would actually make much more sense if they simply said "there's a load of gold under their trees".

2. Why is Jake there? The explanation they give is really shoddy - his brother died and it's too expensive to create another avatar. Not only do they have plenty of other people with avatars, but that base doesn't look like an easy place to live, especially with the poisonous atmosphere. It makes no sense whatsoever for them to spend over 11 and a half years (5 years, 9 months is a one-way trip) to get a soldier to do a scientist's job.

Well ok if people felt it was that obvious then fair enough.

It's like Benjamin Button and Forest Gump. They are clones.

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Today, I have achieved something fantastic! I didn't sleep through Lord of the Rings! I don't know why but even when I am actually enjoying it, I fall asleep, it's kind of weird but I stayed awake all the way through today. It's slow to start but got better as the movie went on. Also, Gandalf is just wicked. I enjoyed it alot, definitely impressed.

8/10

Next stop, The Two Towers tomorrow.

Nah it's actually very easy to see, same sort of plot, I suppose when you love disney/pixar movies it bound to happen and what video?

The two biggest issues:

1. Why are they fighting? Instead of an explanation, they use a fake element name used in comedy/parody films and say nothing more about it. Furthermore, the only "unobtanium" you actually see is a small floating rock. Which is odd as it has nothing to do with the floating mountains. They didn't even think about why they were fighting and it would actually make much more sense if they simply said "there's a load of gold under their trees".

Good point! Though they did touch on peaceful methods not working, they didn't explain why Unobtanium was so valuable to the humans. Although they may have said that it was high value and sold for a lot of moolah at one point, which relates so close to oil warfare they needn't have elaborated I suppose.

2. Why is Jake there? The explanation they give is really shoddy - his brother died and it's too expensive to create another avatar. Not only do they have plenty of other people with avatars, but that base doesn't look like an easy place to live, especially with the poisonous atmosphere. It makes no sense whatsoever for them to spend over 11 and a half years (5 years, 9 months is a one-way trip) to get a soldier to do a scientist's job.

Because his DNA is the only one close enough to be able to be accepted in to the Avatar they made for his brother. It'd have gone to waste otherwise. It's been a while since I've watched it (might pop it on now actually) but I feel they gave adequate reasoning for it.

Prince of Persia

Standard action film. I'm hoping for the Dark Prince if they make a sequel.

7/10

Yeah, I think there wasn't much need for any further justification for why they were fighting. The unobtainium was worth alot of money, and the natives stood in their way.

I don't think it suffered from plot holes (in some ways unexplained things add more), just more that the plot was really uninspiring.

Prince of Persia

7/10

You're bad.

when_in_rome_poster.jpg

Man was this movie short, I was just (sort of) getting into it and then it ends.

I wanted to like this movie more than it deserves because the two main leads I thought were good, Kristen Bell is always a joy to watch on screen and the main guy wasn't too bad either.

Wasn't really feeling the love, well no I was feeling the love, I think a better word is chemistry between them but with in the time frame which felt very short, no.

I liked the concept, romantic comedies are getting odder with weirder plot devices such as leap year and this again has what could be a fun device but ultimately didn't have time to develop into anything interesting.

The Dinner in the dark scene was hilarious though. :D

Strange Napoleon Dynamite references in it as well it felt like because they had Jon Heder and the mexican guy in it or whatever. :p

Also Jon Heder played a magician? with Will Arnett in this movie as well?

Yeah, like GOB from arrested Development isn't better at illusions! COME ON!

oversight or probably he didn't want to do it. :heh:

Anyway Will Arnett, Kristen Bell in my movie +2 add Danny Devito on top +3. Him talking about sausages was funny.

They needed to be utilised better like they suddenly appeared had a few scenes but there was no build up, nice potential for comedy just lost. shame.

yeah the movie was okay.

[When in Rome Review]

I also watched this last night. It was okay, although wasn't expecting much. Personally I felt the whole "is he really in love with her or is it the curse" 'mystery' to be rather lame as its a Disney RomCom, of course he is! :p

Disappointed by the lack of in-Rome-ness.

And I think Arnett better suited the artist anyway as he needed broad comedy whereas the magician was just creepy.

I also didn't think much of the apparently attractive suitor but then during the (hey lets randomly dance!) end credits I realised it was Kristen Bell's fiancée.

alg_when_in_rome.jpg

Seriously...what? Anyway the movie was filled with "YAY its X" moments:

Kristen Bell

Lee Pace

Will Arnett

The Gooch from Scrubs (who has HUGE eyes O_O)

The girl Eric slept with a few times from Entourage

Yawn.

Fun soundtrack though.

Nah it's actually very easy to see, same sort of plot, I suppose when you love disney/pixar movies it bound to happen and what video?

this is what I meant i got it mixed with the button and Forest gump situation. That had a video.

Ah well I can tell you I've not seen that until today and yet I still thought of it, it's not hard to spot really. I don't particularly mind. It's a decent story imo.

Inglourius Basterds

Very gooood. Loved Brad Pitt's character and his helpful Jewish friend with a fondness for bludgeoning. Some very funny moments, the first half an hour was great and one of the best opening scenes I can remember seeing in a while. The whole thing was paced very well, but some bits dragged slightly.

Great Film. 9/10

It's like Benjamin Button and Forest Gump. They are clones.

Both are still pretty great....

...though Gump is weirdly overrated.

Someone's Knocking at the Door

Seriously the weirdest, most bizarre movie I have ever seen. It's basically about two killers (one man and one woman) who literally screw their victims to death with their oversized private parts. Too weird.

3/10