NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

This has also inspired me to write-up a forum game inspired by this, just need to sit down and write it all up and see if it would work based on my idea.

Remember Athriller's old battle royale's, and, I think, it was either him or ViPeR or Flink who did alien/predator forum stories? Not much user participation, but I've definitely thought about doing a BR forum game. You should totally do it!

The first thing I thought were exactly those things but those were more stories then a game right?

I have the basic idea down on how it will work, need to work on the whole what "weapon" people start with and how they work.

Gonna start writing this stuff down so I won´t forget.

Might get this up and running some time this month (depends on how lazy I am)

Regarding the previous page's discussion:

Slumdog is quite a flimsy film. A good film, yes, but nothing extraordinary and that final act really let it down.

Crash is quite good, but no masterpiece. It's cool. Simple and too direct, but cool.

Lost in Translation however, is not (and never will be) part of the same group as the 2 above! It's a fantastic excercise on lack of purpose. Brilliant, actually, and unfortunately for you, Daft, that's where your point kind of collapses, when you compare it to the other 2... it's completely different.

As for Bollywood, there are some good things about it. Like Mira Nair, for example. But yes, mostly it's crap.

On the whole "expectation/hype can ruin things for you", it's true, but when something is really good (like The Wire or BSG) it not only confirms the hype but actually surpasses it. Slumdog wasn't the case,though. City of God was. That was SOOOOO hyped. And it was better than I could ever imagine it being.

Remember Athriller's old battle royale's, and, I think, it was either him or ViPeR or Flink who did alien/predator forum stories? Not much user participation, but I've definitely thought about doing a BR forum game. You should totally do it!

ViPeR/Joe created that game, after we came up with the idea over MSN. But, surprise surprise, he didn't finish it, because he neveeeer fiiinishes stuff he starts.

Infact, it was a sore subject with us for a while.

"Finish the gaaaaaame!"

"Fuck off, Jim."

"..."

A new forum game would be awesome. Also, Haden, you didn't finish that mansion story, either!

Terminator Salvation

Now, i have to say this was a pretty good film from my perspective. Christian Bale played a good John Conner, suited his role well. The only downer's i could find within this movie were the following

The way that the Terminators were a bit "built-up". It looked like they were in the gym or something. They looked the same size build, not height as those Golden Army soldiers in Hellboy II. And you can honestly tell right away that they morphed Arnie's face onto a body and took all the wrinkles away. Hence why they burned the flesh off within 3 minutes. And they were a bit too tall in places.

Marcus was a dead give-away being a cybotic organism from the start, when he signed his body away to Cyberdyne (wern't they wiped in T2?). He sounded pissed when Conner told him he was machine, not human even though he had a human brain and heart.

Other than that, i enjoyed the movie quite a lot. One i'd recommend people seeing if you enjoyed the 3 Terminator movies before hand.

8.5/10

Edit: I agree with ReZ with is Mordor statement. I thought the same as well.

Edited by Jimbob

Heathers

Amazing. What Mean Girls wanted to be, but couldn't because it had to be within the a 12A demographic.

Just when I was beginning to think that it was forgetting what kind of film it really was towards the end, BAM and I was laughing again.

Possibly knocks everything off the high-school comedy top list.

"Veronica, you like Hell!" "Thanks, I just got back."

9/10

Battle Royal

The plot is simply: 40 school kids are left on in island and told that the last man standing gets to live.

This is supposed to be an act to solve the problem with kids acting out.

It sounds better if you watch it

This is probably my fourth watch of this film and my opinion of it is pretty much the same.

I am enchanted with the absurdity of what is happening in the film and how it is seems to be no real solution to the problem that the film presents.

It is more of a way for bitter people wanting to outlet their anger to those troublesome youngsters.

The case in point being the video demonstration of what they are about to do and the music that is played in the film.

The plot is not really what drags me back to it.

What I watch it for is the "What would you do in this scenario"

I don´t want to drag on about this.

For me this is a film that I would recommend to watch if your into gory and twisted films.

This has also inspired me to write-up a forum game inspired by this, just need to sit down and write it all up and see if it would work based on my idea.

I've seriously lost count the amount of times I've watched this movie and my opinion is still the same, I love it. If there's a forum game of this, count me in! It'd be awesome!

The Day The Earth Stood Still. 2/10

Utter, utter rubbish. One of the worst I've seen. Thin plot, non existing acting, no characters, unsubtle, full of promise at the start and nothing for the rest of the film. I heard it was a 50's classic. Such a shame :(

The Day The Earth Stood Still. 2/10

Utter, utter rubbish. One of the worst I've seen. Thin plot, non existing acting, no characters, unsubtle, full of promise at the start and nothing for the rest of the film. I heard it was a 50's classic. Such a shame :(

They didn't even have a cool giant robot scene. It just stood there then turned to dust.

Demolition Man

I actually turned it off half way through so I could get a nap in before my night shift, so I can't do a proper review.

It seemed pretty good so far. The mention of President Swarzenegger made me laugh. If only they knew how close to the truth they were (or maybe it will happen).

7/10 so far.

Disgraceful. Watch the rest, and let's say we do it the old fashioned way.

Lost in Translation however, is not (and never will be) part of the same group as the 2 above! It's a fantastic excercise on lack of purpose. Brilliant, actually, and unfortunately for you, Daft, that's where your point kind of collapses, when you compare it to the other 2... it's completely different.

It's good because nothing happened?

It did that to the max and still it blew goats.

People talking about Lost In Translations pointlessness is reminding me of Two Lane Blacktop. An awesome film that is pretty much summed up by "Fuck off, we don't care". The people who created it cared so little that they didn't even finish it or name the characters. And it wasn't one of those Hollywood style artsy non endings, it was a "meh, bored now" non ending.

The race, the centre point of the whole exercise, became unimportant after ten minutes when the two sides start helping one another. Eventually the audience themselves become unwilling participants in this spectacle - watching a non-story without end was a meaningless experience in itself! In an act of total subversion Hellman had presented Universal, not with the film about nihilism that they so desired, but a film that actually was nihilism.

From here

I love Two Lane Blacktop. I may watch it again and rate it.

People talking about Lost In Translations pointlessness is reminding me of Two Lane Blacktop. An awesome film that is pretty much summed up by "Fuck off, we don't care". The people who created it cared so little that they didn't even finish it or name the characters. And it wasn't one of those Hollywood style artsy non endings, it was a "meh, bored now" non ending.

Is that a good thing?

Terminator Salvation

Edit: I agree with ReZ with is Mordor statement. I thought the same as well.

That was me! Have we blended into one? Oh dear :p

Is that a good thing?

It is to me. I just think it's a good change of pace from the usual Hollywood "this film is the most important thing ever" type of storylines. Although the film completely bombed because of it and I can see why. It's definately an aquired taste.

Terminator Salvation Alright action movie. Pants Terminator film. Predictable, horribly scripted and poorly acted. Seems like it got a bite from the Transformers bug. 5/10

Kentucky Fried Movie Bloody excellent. Like an American Monty Python from the Airplane team. A bunch of random hilarious skits including how to involve the dead in everyday activities and "A Fistful of Yen!" cracking Enter the Dragon parody. Not as good as Kung Pow though :P 8/10

Star Trek Lost alot of the romance and fantasy of the originals. Instead very fast, bright and colourful action. All in all a very good action movie that doesn't really feel very Star Trek but doesn't effect your enjoyment. Romance subplot was way too cheesy and out of the blue imho but hell the rest of it was good. 7.5/10

The Orphanage

Id heard so many good things about it but after watching I thought i was pretty average. Now I dont particularly like horror movies so that could affect my opinion of it but just nothing scared me, I had the Oi! moments but that was about it. Its weird, it barely feels like I should call it a horror movie.

5/10

It's good because nothing happened?

It did that to the max and still it blew goats.

What do you mean nothing happened? Jesus Christ! It's good because it's the perfect essay on human loneliness/alienation/feeling or purposeless. And as for "nothing happening", if you mean to say that human interaction is nothing, then I guess so, nothing happened. But your part of the ADD generation, so why care?

Last House On The Left (2009)

Much better than I expected, and oh so amazingly gross in places. I liked the whole idea of getting a typical family and showing how they might react in a situation like that. However, the very end scene seemed totally stupid in retrospect and ruined any realism there might have been throughout the movie. Still, the acting was above the usual level for a modern horror remake, and it was interesting enough. Just wish there had been more suspense and less gore. The rape scene was pretty damn horrible to watch too, it went on for so long.

The Orphanage

Id heard so many good things about it but after watching I thought i was pretty average. Now I dont particularly like horror movies so that could affect my opinion of it but just nothing scared me, I had the Oi! moments but that was about it. Its weird, it barely feels like I should call it a horror movie.

5/10

I wouldn't really call it a horror either. I watched it last week and only after watching it was I told it was the same director as Pan's Labryinth. Unfortunately the name escapes me. Anyway, I would say it was more creepy than anything. Nothing really scary except for a few jumpy moments that weren't even really supposed to be. Like when the kid closes the closet door the second time. Seeing the hands made me jump because of the noise and the suddenness!

Wasn't too bad, but wasn't up to Pan's Labryinth, really enjoyed that.

I wouldn't really call it a horror either. I watched it last week and only after watching it was I told it was the same director as Pan's Labryinth. Unfortunately the name escapes me. Anyway, I would say it was more creepy than anything. Nothing really scary except for a few jumpy moments that weren't even really supposed to be. Like when the kid closes the closet door the second time. Seeing the hands made me jump because of the noise and the suddenness!

Wasn't too bad, but wasn't up to Pan's Labryinth, really enjoyed that.

It wasnt by the same director, a lot of people make that mistake. It was just "Presented by" Guillermo Del Toro, basically putting his name on it got a lot more people to watch it.

Alien

Well...I nearly fell asleep again. I stuck through to the end this time., and wasn't really that impressed.

The film itself isn't really at fault. I think the main problem was that I already knew what was about to happen, and pretty much how the alien works. So I neither had the lack of knowledge (which probably have added a massive amount of to the film) nor the nostalgia.

I still have a couple of real (but small) gripes about the film. Some of the editing seemed a tad off. For example, it was impossible to tell when they got back to the Nostromo. They were on the big shuttle thing that they took to the surface, then you don't really see anything to do with the ship (except for mentioning of the small shuttle) until it blows up. Why did Ripley go back to turn of the self destruct? And why did the self destruct spurt a load of gas (and why didn't the flame on the flamethrower not affect it).

Still, I can see why it is a great film...I just enjoy it that much. Also, either the cat was brilliantly trained or they did some pretty nasty stuff to it.

Well don't they (the two guys) go down to fix whatever was broken in the landing? (IIRC, Ripley comes down to inspect progress)

But I can't remember if it explicitly says they leave the planet again...is there not another bit in the cockpit? Either way, it doesn't matter if it's left ambiguous or not.

Kill Bill: Volume 2 was on Watch last night.

Over the top, over dramatic, over violent and overly great.

Worth it just to see Daryl Hannah flail around in a hilariously frantic manner.

Favourite/10

Well don't they (the two guys) go down to fix whatever was broken in the landing? (IIRC, Ripley comes down to inspect progress)

But I can't remember if it explicitly says they leave the planet again...is there not another bit in the cockpit? Either way, it doesn't matter if it's left ambiguous or not.

As I said, it was just a small thing. I knew they left the planet, just wasn't sure when they went back to the main ship.

Edit: Another Nit-pick "We should stick in pairs" *Everyone goes off in separate directions*

Edited by Cube

Worth it just to see Daryl Hannah flail around in a hilariously frantic manner.

Out of all the films i've seen, that eye taking part is the only time ever thought I might throw up watching a film. I was just in shock.