Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Holly balls, they're playing The Thing soon at my local Cineworld (as well as others). I'm totally going to see that shit yo. Oddly enough, I was recently telling a coworker how it was my favourite horror film.

Its the next classic being shown at the Cineworld near me as well.

I need to see The Thing! A friend keeps screaming at me for not seeing it.

The Vue in town is showing Gladiator (joy). That's about it from the big franchise cinemas catering to "old classics".

There's loads of independant briliant cinemas here though.

Inglorious Basterds 9/10

Bloody fantastic! Funny, gripping and brutally gory. My only complaint is i didn't think there was quite enough of the Basterds in it. Could have done with seeing em knock over a couple of Nazi patrols, maybe even letting Stiglitz fire off that bloody big gun of his.

I thought it was odd that quite a bit of the scene was setting up the guy to be a new father and getting people to feel for him a bit, then the woman shot him for no reason. What a bitch. Oh well, she got strangled.

He was gonna die anyway. Do you really think the Bastards would have let him live knowing that Bridget von Hammersmark had met with US and British soldiers posing as German officers? He'd have ruined the plan at the Cinema. Sure, they could have just kept him prisoner until after the burning of the building, however they don't take prisoners ;)

Another thing I remembered about the film. Brad Pitt as an "eye-talian" was fucking hilarious. I thought some of the humour in the film was a bit silly (not in a funny way), but that was priceless.

I've been struggling all day to not laugh at the mental picture of his face. This is what i like about Tarantino films, that was clearly a Don Vito Corleone impression! The little easter eggs like that throughout his films are great (though that has to be one of the most obvious).

Edited by McPhee

The Accused

Rape/lawyer drama with Jodie Foster and Kelly someone I've never heard of. It was alright, though did have a waft of TV Movie about it.

Foster's acting was good though, read she got the Best Actress Oscar for it. I wasn't in love with it though.

6.5-7/10

The Reader (2008)

the-reader-poster.jpg

It was a good story that could have been much more powerful than it was given the subject matter but for me it missed the mark and I didn't like the direction it went in. The time past quickly when I didn't want it to. I wanted more time for the story to unfold but the acting was good even though I disliked Kate Winslet's character where I think the director was trying to get you to have mixed emotions about her. However it's well made. :)

7/10

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

sunset_boulevard.jpg

Brilliant. :D

I loved it from the very moment the narratation kicks in.

The ending is perfect.

9/10

Edited by Coolness Bears

It's A Wonderful Life

People have always accused this of being uber schmaltzy, but now I've seen it I find it difficult to accuse it of that. It has plenty warmth but it's genuine, and the drama is very effective. The ending might be cute but doesn't come until just after the main character experiences what amounts to an extended episode of manic psychosis mixed with suicidal depression. This slots in alongside The Shawshank Redemption and Slumdog Millionaire as one of the most bizarre and depressing feel-good films you'll ever see. The whole thing left me feeling weirdly shell shocked.

It's not a wonderful life at all. It's difficult, cold and full of child beating drunks and money-grabbing bastards.

Pride and Prejudice

The Keira Knightly version and not the good BBC adaptation.

Shoddy really, amazing how they took a good story and managed to make it an empty, soulless vehicle for its two "stars". In the BBC original, Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth had chemistry whereas Knightly spent the whole time looking petulant and thoughtful and MacFayden made himself look like a twat.

The BBC series was definitive, everyone was played carefully and cleverly and that scene after Darcy gets out of the pond still makes me moist.

Donald Sutherland was quite good though, and just for that the film gets:

3/10

Pride and Prejudice

The Keira Knightly version and not the good BBC adaptation.

Shoddy really, amazing how they took a good story and managed to make it an empty, soulless vehicle for its two "stars". In the BBC original, Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth had chemistry whereas Knightly spent the whole time looking petulant and thoughtful and MacFayden made himself look like a twat.

The BBC series was definitive, everyone was played carefully and cleverly and that scene after Darcy gets out of the pond still makes me moist.

Donald Sutherland was quite good though, and just for that the film gets:

3/10

I agree entirely.

I do like the Knightley P+P just to look at though. It's a really beautiful film. I've never read the book or seen the BBC version, but I wasn't in love with the 2005 one in any other way than visually.

---

A second rewatch of 時をかける少女/The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Late-night 2am viewing.)

Still awesome. Understand it a tad more now, and fully get its charm. Excellent film. My favourite non-Ghibli anime film atm.

10/10

Considering anime is so hit and miss for me, I really enjoyed this. Probably because it was pretty original and engaging, as opposed to some dross about cats in jackets.

---

I need to see The Reader again, as I never got to see the ending. :(

Well the IGN review...and all the tabloid reviews I've seen so far hate it! hmm then again they're hardly sourced from the world's greatest film critics

Eurgh... don't tell me you actually read the Daily Mail? :nono: Save your soul while there's still time!