N-Europe

Minimum Wage and other work stuff

Nintenchris

Right i know this is a bit cheeky but im in need of answers because my mate is being treated bad by his employer and i wanna tell hime the answers to the following questions...

Does anyone know what minimum wage is? also does anyone know how many days holiday your entitled to if you have a part time job... not including bank holidays?

Oh and if you have a part time job are you entitled to sick pay?

It's 4 weeks worth of holiday (so if you work once a week you get 4 days) and that includes Bank Holidays.

Minimum wage is £3 or something for 16/17 and £5 sumthin for 18 year olds.

I think you have to be ill for a week or so before being paid sick pay, and assume you'd need a note from the Dr?!?!

The main rate for workers aged 22 and over. On 1 October 2005 this rate was raised to £5.05 an hour, from £4.85

The accredited training rate for workers aged 22 and over who are receiving accredited training in the first six months of a job with a new employer. On 1 October 2005 this rate of the minimum wage was raised to £4.25 an hour, from £4.10.

The development rate for 18-21 year olds. On 1 October 2005 rate of minimum wage was raised to £4.25 an hour, from £4.10.

The development rate for 16-17 years olds. This rate is £3.00 an hour.

Google Get! As far as holidays, I think it is four weeks a year (obviously if you only work one day a week its four days in essence). Dunno what the restriction is if you join part way during the year. Dunno if they figured out how much of the year you have missed and take off the time accordingly. May be the company's discretion.

Minimum wage is £3 or something for 16/17 and £5 sumthin for 18 year olds.
False.

Minimum wage is £3 for Under-18's who have finished cumpulsory education.

£4.25 for 18-21 year olds, and £5.05 for those that are 22 and above. That means your friend's employer is in the right.

No idea about holiday pay.

What are his actual working hours? If he works through the night then surely he should get either a night duty allowance or some sort of disturbance allowace pay on top of his wage which could bump it up a bit ?

I do shift work (Earlies, Lates, Nights & Weekends) and i get a Night duty allowance and a weekend allowance....These 2 allowances combined give me an extra 7 grand a year on top of my basic pay which bumps up my Wages a hell of a lot. :)

But at the end of the day if he is not happy with the wage he should either ask for a pay rise or leave. Im sure the place he works for can find someone else who would be happy with the wage.

Could be worse. I think the sub-18 year olds get it worse.

I worked in the Japanish resturant in the holidays and was getting more than one of the chiefs (he was 17, working full time) and only geting 3 something, i was 16, but because the never asked me my age or for my card thingy (still paid tax though), i got £4.50 an hour. And i was only opperating a dish washer, i also got a split of tips.