Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

USA Election 2024: Harris Vs Trump

It's US politics but I had no idea where to put this and didn't really want to start a new thread.

At what point do they kick this guy to the curb? I mean, from a bystander point of view this has all been hilarious to watch but it must be infuriating if you live in the US. My brother lives over there and he says he honestly thinks Trump is gonna get in again. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. Saying that, according to Biden, Trump is now the Vice President...yes, he did also say that last night. :D 

• Sad 1

Its scary that he is the only thing potentially stopping Trump getting back in. He needs to drop out and let someone else be the candidate. Hopefully someone will just convince him he already dropped out and he'll believe them.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Its scary that he is the only thing potentially stopping Trump getting back in. He needs to drop out and let someone else be the candidate. Hopefully someone will just convince him he already dropped out and he'll believe them.

It's a classic case of a politician thinking of himself rather than the country/party. Had he stepped down a lot earlier the Democrats would have been in a much stronger position, but changing this late on will look weak, even though it ultimately needs to happen.

16 minutes ago, Ashley said:

You're not alone in this mentality but why?

I'm usually fine with making a thread but didn't see the point in this case because it probably wouldn't get that much discussion anyway. Hence me just plonking it in the UK election thread, rather than creating a US one.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I might spin it into a thread about the US election. For good or for ill, it'll be big over the next few months. 

I agree with this. It will have an effect on a lot of countries, due to how influential America is.

Unfortunately, I don't expect that election to be as satisfying as our one...

I've just seen footage of trump bleeding from the ear and crouching to the floor, a shooter just missed him. One audience member and the shooter are dead. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd1d31jeyzlo

Footage showed him grimace and raise a hand to his right ear, before ducking as sharp cracks - apparently shots - broke out.

He was quickly swarmed by secret service agents and rushed off stage to a waiting vehicle. He raised a fist as he was bundled into the car.

In a statement Trump's campaign said he was "fine" and was being "checked out" at a local medical facility.

Edited by Josh64

That shooter is an absolute dumbarse.

All they've done is given Trump an incredibly powerful tool to garner votes now.

No, seriously, there's this image of him right after the incident and it's the exact kind of thing that makes for an iconic historic image, and a lot of Americans will lap it up now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josh64 said:

I've just seen footage of trump bleeding from the ear and crouching to the floor, a shooter just missed him. One audience member and the shooter are dead. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd1d31jeyzlo

Really, genuinely surprised it has taken this long. We've had close to a decade of this guy in politics and after all of the nonsense, NOW, HERE, LIKE THIS is how you go about it? 

...and then imagine waiting this long and then really just badly grazing him. 

all-that-for-a-drop-of-blood.gif

Not to condone the actions, obviously, but yeah...what a dumbass.

RIP to the person who died and hopefully the two others being reported as critically injured make a full and speedy recovery. 

39 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

That shooter is an absolute dumbarse.

All they've done is given Trump an incredibly powerful tool to garner votes now.

No, seriously, there's this image of him right after the incident and it's the exact kind of thing that makes for an iconic historic image, and a lot of Americans will lap it up now.

Totally agree. 

His audience is already mental, this somehow elevates him further in their eyes. This is how even the most vile of people become deified - they need to be seen as some sort of unkillable target - and it absolutely now becomes a historic image like you say. 

The only way it would have done anything would be if they hit the target and got the end result. Again, I'm not condoning violence here or saying this is right – but you have all this prep time and you whiff? It's insane to me. 

This feels like the kind of thing trump can easily use in his favour now to push for a call to arms. And we've seen him do it before, so...feel sorry for a lot of America and what's coming. As if it wasn't already going badly with everything surrounding Biden, it feels like it just got a whole lot worse. 

Edited by Julius

I do worry that whatever happens the future of America is just going to be violence. Either he wins and he enacts his revenge-filled control of the justice department or he loses and it's seen as illegitimate by his supporters and leads to more violence. 

10 hours ago, FalcoLombardi said:

This happened about 30/40 minutes north of where I live. I'm not a fan of him, but this clearly isn't the right direction my country needs to take. This is only going to make things worse.

We had to put our Subreddit on temporary hiatus because of the type of sub we have and the type of people it attracts.

This really is the worst possible outcome for the USA right at this point in time.

I'm not going to say what we're all thinking: But it would ultimately have been a better result. Now? He wins it.

On 7/15/2024 at 3:50 AM, Iun said:

We had to put our Subreddit on temporary hiatus because of the type of sub we have and the type of people it attracts.

This really is the worst possible outcome for the USA right at this point in time.

I'm not going to say what we're all thinking: But it would ultimately have been a better result. Now? He wins it.

What's your subReddit?

It’s looking pretty grim, isn’t it?

The polls are looking like a Republican landslide right now, and Biden is refusing to see the writing on the wall…

America is so screwed… We could well be looking at a whole new age of fascism as Trump starts enacting revenge on those who “wronged” him if they can’t kick out Biden and get someone in who has a chance of actually stopping the neo-nazi party from winning.

16 hours ago, Dcubed said:

It’s looking pretty grim, isn’t it?

The polls are looking like a Republican landslide right now, and Biden is refusing to see the writing on the wall…

America is so screwed… We could well be looking at a whole new age of fascism as Trump starts enacting revenge on those who “wronged” him if they can’t kick out Biden and get someone in who has a chance of actually stopping the neo-nazi party from winning.

Thankfully, polls don't mean anything.

Still, there's definite cause for worry.

12 hours ago, Iun said:

It is... humorous and... political.

Simpsons Shitposting??

Anyway, regardless if Biden stays in the race or not I am voting against the Humanoid Orange Turd. Out of all the Liberals I know (most of my friends) they will be doing the same. There's one person I know who is definitely left leaning who is going to vote for RFK Jr (????). And then most of my co-workers are right leaning and are "Trump or die" so there's that...

Biden has finally stepped aside.

US President Joe Biden has announced that he will end his candidacy for re-election, saying "it is in the best interest of my party and the country".

It comes four months before Americans go to the polls, upending the race for the White House.

It follows weeks of intense pressure from fellow Democrats after a faltering debate performance against Republican Donald Trump at the end of June.

In a letter posted to his social media account, he said it had been the greatest honour of his life to serve as president.

"And while it has been my intention to seek reelection, I believe it is in the best interest of my party and the country for me to stand down and to focus solely on fulfilling the duties as President for the remainder of my term".

He said in his statement he would address the nation on the matter next week.

President Biden thanked his Vice President Kamala Harris, saying she was an "extraordinary partner".

• Thanks 1

• Ashley changed the title to USA Election 2024: Angry Grampa Vs 🤷‍♂️