N-Europe

Emio - The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club

Dcubed

Err... Nintendo just put out a cryptic trailer for what appears to be a new first party horror game of sorts? (M/18+ rated to boot!)

It has the White-On-Red Nintendo logo at the end, which is reserved for first party game announcements; so this does seem to be a first party title!

"Emio" means "Smiling Man" in Japanese, which fits the icogography seen in the trailer...

What does it meeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn!?

Either way... a very un-Nintendo-like teaser trailer for sure!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Weird 1

If I had to throw out a random guess? I'm gonna say that it's a new IP directed by Yoshio Sakamoto and co-developed by Mercury Steam... The development timeframe would match up perfectly as it has now been more or less 3 years since Metroid Dread came out.

I love this! Completely out of nowhere and it’s Nintendo genuinely teasing us with something we know nothing about.  It all seems very un-Nintendo, which just makes it even more intriguing.

If I were to guess I’d go with a new Fatal Frame title as opposed to a new franchise.  Didn’t Nintendo and Koei Tecmo strike some of deal a few years ago?  I really don’t know, but what a terrific surprise regardless!

7 hours ago, Cube said:

The co-developer is possibly Bloober Team, as they're working on a game specifically for Nintendo platforms.

Oh... oh no...

Please don't give me sadness :(

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Oh... oh no...

Please don't give me sadness :(

lNOz1yI.jpeg

We never got Sadness.

Although people have looked into it more and this project is a much older one that had different developers involved, so isn't related to this Nintendo game. Just a strange coincidence in timing of talking about it.

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Speak for yourself, I got it plenty...

tenor.gif

:p

I know it's from a different thing but it's just reminded me of this which is the opposite of sadness:

2 hours ago, Josh64 said:

Diarra in the portal | TexAgs

Blast from the past reading that again.

Out of curiosity, I looked Nibris up on Wikipedia and it says that after ceasing game development "remaining Nibris staff and projects were also reported to have been handed over to Bloober Team, another game developer."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Diarra in the portal | TexAgs

Blast from the past reading that again.

Out of curiosity, I looked Nibris up on Wikipedia and it says that after ceasing game development "remaining Nibris staff and projects were also reported to have been handed over to Bloober Team, another game developer."

Sadness for Switch 2 sizzle reel! Followed by years of delays, and a follow up article by another Phillips

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2024 at 5:27 PM, Josh64 said:

Sadness for Switch 2 sizzle reel! Followed by years of delays, and a follow up article by another Phillips

Sadness and Nibris were two things that had completely slipped from my memory. Back when Nintendo "needed" mature this and mature that. :laughing:

Happy Bag Salesman until proven otherwise!

Slightly more interestingly, the NintendoAU vid is age restricted. The disclaimer and classification gives an idea of the content that can be expected:

emio.large.jpg

• Like 1

• Dcubed changed the title to Emio - The Smiling Man: Famicom Detective Club
Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2024 at 2:14 PM, Dcubed said:

If I had to throw out a random guess? I'm gonna say that it's a new IP directed by Yoshio Sakamoto and co-developed by Mercury Steam... The development timeframe would match up perfectly as it has now been more or less 3 years since Metroid Dread came out.

200.webp

(Ok, it’s not technically a new IP, but close enough ;)).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooo, I remember seeing someone guess that a new Famicom Detective Club could be what they were teasing, and they seemed super psyched about it...so hell yeah! 

Of all the IP to revive on the Switch, I don't think FDC would've been the one anyone would have guessed heading into the launch of the Switch back in 2017, that's for sure :laughing:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Julius said:

Ooo, I remember seeing someone guess that a new Famicom Detective Club could be what they were teasing, and they seemed super psyched about it...so hell yeah! 

Of all the IP to revive on the Switch, I don't think FDC would've been the one anyone would have guessed heading into the launch of the Switch back in 2017, that's for sure :laughing:

Going from being an obscure Japanese only game, to full-on worldwide HD remake, to brand new game in the span of just a couple years or so?

Quite the glow up!

So great to see Nintendo get back into adventure games in a big way :D

• Like 1

Getting a physical release too, did the other 2 do better than I thought, I didn't think they would sell that well?

Just another urban legend…or something far more sinister… Emio – The Smiling Man: #FamicomDetectiveClub will be available both as a digital and a physical version when it launches August 29th.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Also yes.  This is indeed going to be the first ever internally developed 18-rated Nintendo game (probably co-developed by Mages, like the previous remakes were, but still!).  A genuine piece of Nintendo history in the making! (And very fitting for a sequel to a series so tightly tied to Nintendo’s original R&D lineage; this is as true-blue Nintendo as it gets! :D).

Oh this is so cool! Sakamoto has been talking about how he’s wanted to do a new FDC for almost 2 decades at this point, and even Miyamoto has expressed how he and many other Nintendo staff want to do a new Adventure game, but that market/budgeting realities have been holding them back for years… So awesome to finally see the bean counters at Nintendo finally loosen up and let them make these passion projects! :D

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1