NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

The 2024 Events Thread – La Li Lu Le Lo and Behold, E3 is Dead

21 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Team Cherry have messed you up good :laughing:

HK is 50% off on the eShop. Smacks of a clearance before the sequel...

17 hours ago, Julius said:

Aye, definitely too much going on around the Not-E3 period these days

Indeed. I started with a nice reminder it could be time to check out a new Story of Seasons and/or Rune Factory (or get Harvestella off the shelf), to seeing some weird and quirky stuff in the Next Indie Direct, then when I read INDIE3 was set to feature 180+ games (not all new, admittedly) I decided I just don't need to know. :confused:

Alan Wake socials have been teasing something for the 7th so hopefully at least some Alan Wake 2 DLC news.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Esquire (of all places) have an article on Summer Game Fest, titled Is Summer Game Fest the Best Thing to Happen to Gaming—or the Worst?, and it's pretty great. Definitely noticed more and more big publications getting into the gaming side of things of late. 

The whole thing is worth a read, but of particular note to me - especially in an which isn't big on sharing it's numbers - we've actually been given some numbers to work with here for the cost of Days of Play and TGA and SGF spots! 

“These shows are really ****ing expensive,” one insider says, referring to both Summer Game Fest and the Game Awards. According to pricing details shared with me by multiple marketing professionals who requested anonymity, running a trailer during Summer Game Fest’s main show this year cost $250,000 for one minute, $350,000 for one and a half minutes, $450,000 for two minutes, and $550,000 for two and a half minutes. They also say that last year’s edition of the Game Awards featured the same pricing tiers.

If you add up all of the one- to two-and-a-half-minute trailers aired during last year’s Summer Game Fest, those price levels could translate into a $9.65 million haul for the main show alone. Of course, last year’s prices may have been different, and I don’t know how to account for shorter, 30-second trailers, nor the longer segments in which Keighley invites a developer onstage.

Another marketing professional I spoke with pointed to the fact that this year, Summer Game Fest is also selling tickets for fans to attend the main showcase in the YouTube Theater, saying, “That’s another stream of revenue for Geoff, so … could he then lower the cost of entry for smaller clients to be featured in the main show?” Earlier this week, first-party tickets were still available for $41 on Ticketmaster. But even if Summer Game Fest sold out the theater’s entire 6,000-seat capacity at that price, it would net only around $246,000—less than it makes from a single one-minute trailer—and the true number will likely be far lower thanks to seats reserved for invitees.

Speaking of Play Days, it’s a three-day “invite-only media and influencer event” where studios can purchase a “full hands-on pod” for $150,000 or a “meeting cabana” for $50,000 this year. “I fell in love with games I would have never considered, like A Little to the Left, Time Flies, Escape Academy, and Schism, just by walking around [and] getting hands-on with demos and talking to the developers,” Parrish says.

Again, well worth a read when you've got the time – I think I'm going to be bookmarking this one and returning it for a while, it's so rare we get insights on anything like this, let alone ACTUAL NUMBERS!

Edited by Julius

Well, I'm still awake. May as well see what SGF brings to the table.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Well, I'm still awake. May as well see what SGF brings to the table.

Think I'm going to throw it on the background while I pack for my trip tomorrow :D 

First thing Geoff mentioned was the layoff situation. Shouldn't have taken this long, but hey, at least he's done it. 

7 minutes ago, Julius said:

Think I'm going to throw it on the background while I pack for my trip tomorrow :D 

Oh, going to Milan? :p

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Julius said:

You off to Milan with @drahkon?

• Haha 2

I thought Summer Game Fest sucked sweaty balls. It just felt like a huge waste of time to tune into it tonight.

Power Rangers was the highlight of the show for me. Horizon would have been a nice surprise had it not been leaked weeks ago. Pretty garbage show overall though.  

• Like 1

I dunno, for me it was Wanderstop.

It's from the guy who brought us "The Stanley Parable" and "The Beginner's Guide".

Spoiler

I was watching that trailer, thinking "This doesn't feel like a Davey Wreden game"

Then it felt more like a Davey Wreden game.

If there's anyone with the pedigree for me to garner interest from a farming sim game, it's this guy. Very interested in this!

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, CrowingJoe79 said:

I thought Summer Game Fest sucked sweaty balls. It just felt like a huge waste of time to tune into it tonight.

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Pretty garbage show overall though.  

Was going to ask where on a scale of "thing that happened" to "nothingburger" it fell but it seems to have been covered.

• Like 1

I watched the show after it had finished and I don't know why I don't do that more often - was so refreshing to be able to skip the stuff that didn't interest me (which was actually quite a lot). Overall it didn't seem like that bad of a show but there weren't many standout announcements, for me it was pretty much just the new Sam Barlow game (a collaboration with Brandon Cronenberg which sounds exciting!) and Wanderstop that appealed. 

I'll probably watch the Xbox show live but the chances of Silksong seems to be lower, Jaso Schrier said it won't be showing up so that basically just leaves the Nintendo direct if the release really is imminent 

Nintendo just made every other Direct knockoff this summer look fucking stupid by comparison lol.

Reminder that Limited Run Games have their June show on Thursday, and they've announced that there will be 20 new upcoming LRG projects being announced:

Elsewhere, the Bandai Namco Summer Showcase has been set for 5th July during Anime Expo 2024. 

Come on LRG/Wayforward... give us a release date for Shantae Advance already!!

We got release dates for literally everything...

giphy.webp

EXCEPT SHANTAE ADVANCE

• Haha 2

Their "Carbon Engine" for games like Gex is immensely disappointing. Seems like a lot of work to provide less stuff than an emulator. 

We're not quite out of the Not-E3 woods yet, folks – Capcom Next has been announced for this coming Monday, focusing exclusively on three upcoming titles:

Think I'll give this one a pass but from the impressions I watched and heard about Kunitsu Gami over the last few weeks, seems to be one of those smaller games more akin to a PS2 title of yore (pretty sure someone straight up referred to it as a "long lost Capcom title for the PS2" in their impressions), so I can imagine it being of interest to some here. 

Another Metal Gear Production Hotline video (01) is dropping today at 12:00 BST:

This is probably just another Snake Eater update or some update on the continued work towards fixes for Master Collection Vol. 1, right? There's no way they'd have Master Collection Vol. 2 or a Metal Gear Rising remaster ready to announce, right? 

Sign in to follow this