NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

The Game Awards 2020 (10th December 2020)

Not that Im particularly into awards ceremonies - In fact I find them downright puerile. But could this be one that is actually improved by lockdown and the lack of audience? Having those cut away shots are barely tolerable when they're to good looking Hollywood types, but to business executives? Maybe they could finish this one up in 30-45 minutes, tell us who won and and everyone can go home(/close zoom). That would be nice. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Not that Im particularly into awards ceremonies - In fact I find them downright puerile. But could this be one that is actually improved by lockdown and the lack of audience? Having those cut away shots are barely tolerable when they're to good looking Hollywood types, but to business executives? Maybe they could finish this one up in 30-45 minutes, tell us who won and and everyone can go home(/close zoom). That would be nice. 

Agreed, that would be ideal. Bounce back and forth between awards and trailers/reveals and you'd have a decent balance. 

That being said, this will still probably be 3 hours or something ridiculous. Now there's just more time for ads! :cry: I mean, I guess the entire thing is an ad...

Is anyone watching this live tonight? I have in the past but I've got work tomorrow, and going off previous Game Awards reveals, I don't think it's worth staying up for. The decision to have part of it live from the UK but then have it run at such a stupidly awkwardly time for us is pretty mind boggling to me, I think it would have been much better to aim for a time where most can watch it, but...that's American awards shows for you. Weird though because Geoff clearly is well aware of this fact, considering the timing of many of his streams in the summer. 

Sucks considering how global the industry is (it's not like the Oscars where so much of it is so established and concentrated in one country) but oh well, guess I'll just catch the highlights tomorrow ::shrug:

I don't think the first one (the No Man's Sky reveal one) had an audience and it's one of the worst things I've ever witnessed. 

31 minutes ago, Julius said:

Is anyone watching this live tonight? I have in the past but I've got work tomorrow, and going off previous Game Awards reveals, I don't think it's worth staying up for. The decision to have part of it live from the UK but then have it run at such a stupidly awkwardly time for us is pretty mind boggling to me, I think it would have been much better to aim for a time where most can watch it, but...that's American awards shows for you. Weird though because Geoff clearly is well aware of this fact, considering the timing of many of his streams in the summer. 

Sucks considering how global the industry is (it's not like the Oscars where so much of it is so established and concentrated in one country) but oh well, guess I'll just catch the highlights tomorrow ::shrug:

I think I've watched them all live but I won't be doing so this year. The show has got progressively worse as the years have gone on. I'm usually up an hour or so before I go to work and so I'll catch up on the highlights before heading off.

As for the time it's on, this has always bugged me. If they are going to put it on at a stupid time then at least broadcast it on a weekend and not a weekday. 

• Like 2

I want to watch it, but it's starting at 1am here and I got work at 7. I'll watch a vod tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can someone just post when it looks like the smash reveal is coming on? Got no interest in watching the whole thing.

32 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Can someone just post when it looks like the smash reveal is coming on? Got no interest in watching the whole thing.

Yeah, me too. Don't fancy watching everything get snubbed for Last of Us 2. I've got better things to do.

(It's gonna be in the last half hour, I'm certain of it)

Edited by Glen-i

I wasn't going to watch this year but then I thought "What if a new BOTW 2 trailer drops and I'm not there to see it?" so they've suckered me in again.

I know I'm going to regret it but I tend to stay up fairly late normally anyway, I just know it's going to bore me to tears with how drawn out it is. 

Edited by killthenet

Honestly the only Nintendo announcement I would expect is the new Smash character.

Would be shocked if there was anything else.

I know, I know but there's always a chance they show more!

Didn't realise it was starting an hour earlier this year, completely missed the Smash announcement and Perfect Dark 

Pretty hilarious how Geoff is just rushing through the actual awards to get back to the adverts trailers :laughing:

• Haha 2

Wasn't planning on watching live but caught one or two things in-between the Disney Investor meeting and kind of glad I didn't watch it in the end. 

Don't get me wrong, Smash Bros. Fighter Pass 2 Character 3 is awesome, and so are some of the other trailers, but it's as @Dcubed said, there's just so much being rushed through to get back to the trailers. 

I mean, even the Mario 35th anniversary medley was extremely rushed. Like, physically rushed. It felt like they asked how many Mario tracks they could recognisably squeeze into two minutes? ::shrug:

I'm calling it there and catching up on highlights when it's over, this thing is far from over and it seems to be going at a strange place. Hoping to wake up to some awesome reveals those staying up to watch will get to enjoy! :smile:

Edited by Julius

It honestly feels like they've always done that thought @Dcubed, last year they straight up glossed over some pretty big awards between ad breaks.

The GOTY nominees medley culminating with Animal Crossing was superb, by far and away the best moment of the show. 

Pretty annoyed they snubbed it for the top award though, it definitely deserved it more than Last of Us Part II 

• Like 1

Having trouble getting to sleep, but just seen the GOTY given out and realised it's over and...wow, my subscription feed has very little to be excited about. Smash reveal, a pretty big Xbox announcement, and an update on a PlayStation title we knew about effectively summarises the whole show for me just judging from my feed. 

It was the best Smash reveal ever, though, so I'll give them that. 

Also that GOTY medley was awesome! Absolutely agree with @killthenet about ending it on Animal Crossing, that transition was so smooth! 

As for GOTY, it's tough because for all four games I played which were nominated, I think they would all be more than deserving (and I don't doubt that Hades would have been too, from how I've seen that game be praised here and elsewhere). 

Still surprised by the winner though, considering how toxic a vocal minority of gamers have been, but yeah, now that something else has won I kind of would have liked for Animal Crossing to take it. That game was such a great way to de-stress at the start of all of this...in fact, I've been feeling a bit stressed again lately, so might need to hop back in! 

36 minutes ago, Julius said:

Having trouble getting to sleep, but just seen the GOTY given out and realised it's over and...wow, my subscription feed has very little to be excited about. Smash reveal, a pretty big Xbox announcement, and an update on a PlayStation title we knew about effectively summarises the whole show for me just judging from my feed. 

It was the best Smash reveal ever, though, so I'll give them that. 

Also that GOTY medley was awesome! Absolutely agree with @killthenet about ending it on Animal Crossing, that transition was so smooth! 

As for GOTY, it's tough because for all four games I played which were nominated, I think they would all be more than deserving (and I don't doubt that Hades would have been too, from how I've seen that game be praised here and elsewhere). 

Still surprised by the winner though, considering how toxic a vocal minority of gamers have been, but yeah, now that something else has won I kind of would have liked for Animal Crossing to take it. That game was such a great way to de-stress at the start of all of this...in fact, I've been feeling a bit stressed again lately, so might need to hop back in! 

I got my new Ghosts N’ Goblins game.  That’s all I wanted out of the show, so I’m happy :D 

• Thanks 1

content-4-36397-thegameawards2020roundupbanner.jpg

The Game Awards 2020 Roundup

N-Europe's general roundup of the The Game Awards 2020 with a Nintendo focus is up on the main page now. :D

A brief write-up, all of the awards, the official Nintendo Press Release relating to all Switch announcements, and all the trailers plus the main embed. :)

Same time next year then? All going well... who knows, that new Perfect Dark game might be out by then. ;)

Anyway, Sephiroth in Smash, what an opening to the main event. :peace:

• Thanks 2

Do they release statistics on how close the voting was? I'd be curious to see how close Animal Crossing was to winning it. After the year we've had it would have been nice to see it win.

I'm glad that The Last of Us Part II did very well. I had such a great time with that game and enjoyed it a lot. I want to do a second playthrough, but it's probably a bit too soon to do so, so that may have to wait a while. I appreciate what the game and its predecessor have both done in terms of elevating the medium with how stories are told, characters are built and developed, and how worlds are created. Certainly one of the greatest games that I've played for this generation.

I've also done my best to steer clear of the number of minefields of hate that you can find online in certain internet cesspits, which I can only recommend highly enough. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this