N-Europe

General Election 2017 - MJ popcorn gif edition

Fierce_LiNk

I know the current situation isn't ideal - but I have some hope now. So happy to not see a conservative majority, hope Labour manage to form a minority govt with support of other parties ongoing. Nobody wants to touch toxic coalitions since the damage it did the LibDems I think.

Theresa May absolutely needs to fuck off too btw. She's fucked herself and her party with this, along with making things awkward for Brexit, not even mentioning her track record re: home secretary and 3 terrorist attacks under her watch as PM. Get her out.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did have a feeling that Tories would win and I was really hoping Labour would win but the Tories not getting majority is the next greatest thing to wake up to.

Theresa May is a lying bitch who has done fuck all but slag Corbyn off, not turn up to the tougher debates to avoid tough questions, make the same lame-ass, lying, tired speech when she was talking (how many times do you want to say the words "tough brexit", love) and whilst she has been PM, there have been numerous attacks in a short space of time with honestly fuck all done. Not only that but her policies are ridiculous too and shows she really is for the few and not the many.

She is not fit to be a PM and she needs to be shown the door. Actually, all Tories do. I'm shocked that some of the working class even vote for this cow. She's self-centered and doesn't take any care of the people.

Get her out! Let her run to the wheat fields! Although now, the wheat fields isn't the naughiest thing she's ever done, haha.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Well that was an unexpectedly interesting night.

I'm not crazy about a Tory/DUP coalition or minority with support given the DUP are batshit-crazy right-wing nightmares. Only somewhat bright side is the fact DUP will (seemingly) counter a hard/no-deal Brexit.

So I guess we grab the popcorn and see what happens, but this really isn't what I was expecting from this.

My reaction to the Cuntservative/DUP partnership.

giphy.gif

Not literal heresy, but this gif kind of perfectly encapsulate my sheer repulsion and rage at, not only the idea of their partnership, but just how pragmatically functional and desperate it is.

My reaction to the Cuntservative/DUP partnership.

giphy.gif

Not literal heresy, but this gif kind of perfectly encapsulate my sheer repulsion and rage at, not only the idea of their partnership, but just how pragmatically functional and desperate it is.

I agree.

She's just come off as desperate. I was saying today that either it won't happen or it'll fall apart in no time. At the same time, I can see trouble ahead. I really do not trust May and I can honestly say I'm surprised that people do.

But still, considering this was a pointless election called by her because she was so cocksure of herself, this has turned out to be interesting and ultimately has shown May and all of the other Tories that they're not safe in their power forever like they thought they was.

This is the moment when Theresa May realised...she fucked up!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

DUP has said they have made no formal agreement, about two hours after May gave her speech outside number 10.

It will also be interesting to see how May thinks a coalition with a party that wants to deny womens' reproductive rights and wants to ban homosexuality will work given that their own party has a fair amount of the former and a chunk of the latter.

As I'm in the mood for more drama, I want them to announce a coalition and then a few Tory MPs stand down in opposition so they no longer have a majority.

Following my previous comment, I have just come back from the Winchester after speaking in depth with a friend who voted the opposite from me. Dress it up as much as you like but this is a mess and on many levels.

arM6le1.jpg

I recently read five manifestos all very recently and the Conservatives one was the worst out of the lot even from a design view it came across as poor and dry. Somebody somewhere must have thought tearing up the human rights act, reintroduce fox hunting, allow the ivory trade back in, scrap free school meals, have your internet controlled by the government, remove the triple lock for pensions, cut down on winter fuel payments, reduce police numbers while facing increased terrorist attacks and sell your houses for care was a real vote winner.

I don't like a hung parliament/minority governments because there is no stability in them. Just can't wait for the next few years ebbing out like this. :(

Had the PM actually turned up to the TV debates, laid off the endless strong and stable comments, given the UK more police (I'm sure the money could have found from somewhere) and made some changes to their manifestos then things might have been different. I'm not a Conservative voter but I try to get out of my echo chamber sometimes and listen to others who have different views from me. I can see why people vote Conservative in a general election, it's just something I can't do.

I guess there will be a government reshuffle with Jeremy Hunt remaining as Secretary of State for Health. For someone who has done the job for five years, I think it's time he moved on. Keeping him on will be a sure measure that this government is out of touch.

Edited by sumo73

Tories going into potential partnership with the DUP and all the questions that raises on Brexit, the Irish border and the Good Firday Agreement, May pretending the election didn't happen, the Torygraph reporting on a split within the Conservatives and Ruth Davidson wanting to separate form the main party and then calling "bollocks" on Twitter, Alexander Johnson, of all people, shaping up for a leadership bid (a proven liar and incompetent worm), the mental gymnastics some in the right-wing are going through to present this as anything other than a Tory collapse.

This is absolutely anything but strong and stable.

As a staunch supporter of Jeremy Corbyn from his election in 2015, my biggest hope before 10pm on Thursday was that the Tories would only increase their majority by 5 or so seats, where as my biggest concern (and something I really thought was a realistic proposition) was seeing 380-400 Tory MPs. Now my biggest concern is that I don't have enough wine to really fully enjoy this.

Fireworks.

I saw some commentary by someone (forget where because there's been a lot) that suggested if the Tories are looking for a new leader they have two options;

- Someone charismatic that would appeal to the people in order to win votes in the future, such as BoJo (although hopefully his horrible history and personality will become more evident in the process because he's an awful human being)

- Someone more pragmatic to actually provide stability in the party while going through Brexit in the hopes that a successful Brexit will give them a better chance at the next election (presuming that's 2022 and not later this year). Think the suggestion was Amber Rudd, although her thin margin doesn't work well for her at the moment.

It's just a shame one or two other seats weren't lost by the Tories because we'd have a different kettle of fish right now.

...the Torygraph reporting on a split within the Conservatives and Ruth Davidson wanting to separate form the main party and then calling "bollocks" on Twitter...

If it wasn't for Ruth Davidson there wouldn't even be any Scottish Conservatives by now especially if she had lost to Murdo Fraser in the leadership bid a few years ago who wanted to break away from the Tories and form some kind of new centre right party. If the Scottish Conservatives want to distance themselves from the DUP, I can understand why. Although it's less reported on sectarianism is still an issue in Scotland and that's without talking about gays rights or abortion rights. I believe however that the PM has tried to reassure the Scottish Conservatives that LGBT rights are safe even if a deal with the DUP is formed.

A few years ago during the Indy Ref campaign in Scotland, I remember seeing leaflets from the Scottish Conservatives with Ruth's name in big letters with the Scottish Conservatives underneath in smaller letters and during this election I saw a similar thing with Theresa May. The issue is Theresa May has less personality than Ruth so this idea doesn't work. She's not that good in interviews and appeared wooden when talking to the electorate.

Compare that with Corbyn who has had years of talking at big often outdoor events. The whole thing appeared very natural to him, you could see him enjoy it very much and it worked well with the voters who saw him offer real hope. He came across as quite personable whereas the PM came across as a bit aloof. Had the Labour party not tried to stab him in the back last year after the EU Ref vote and had sections of the centre left press (let alone the centre right press) not tried to attack him, I think things might have been different.

Edited by sumo73

If it wasn't for Ruth Davidson there wouldn't even be any Scottish Conservatives by now especially if she had lost to Murdo Fraser in the leadership bid a few years ago who wanted to break away from the Tories and form some kind of new centre right party.

I can agree with this completely. I have a lot of respect for Ruth Davidson, she always comes across well in debates and interviews and seems to be a very principled politician, she has leadership potential for the main party. This alliance with the DUP has already got a lot of Tory voters and councilors grimacing. I was all for Scottish Independence back in 2014 and I think Sturgeon has shot herself in the foot talking about it again so soon, even though she does have a point that at the end of Brexit negotiations the Scottish people deserve to have some sort of say, considering the country voted remain. The absolute shit-show that is Scottish Labour should have done much better in this election but it's wholly unsurprising that they didn't.

I struggle to see how even with DUP support and a very slim working majority in the HoC how much, if any legislation will get passed, especially with mavericks like Ken Clarke in the ranks. I think we'll be having another General Election in the near future, probably within a year. I do hope Boris Johnson becomes leader, it would be the icing on what has so far proved to be a very sweet cake.

Didn't get a chance to post yesterday as I had a busy day and was tired. But wow. Labour have done a fantastic job and it's a fantastic achievement to have gained so many seats with the challenges that a snap election brings.

Jeremy Corbyn has had everything thrown at him. The media have been shit, his own party were in-fighting after the referendum and his history and persona have been dragged through the mud. It's a testament to his character that he has managed to convert all that into big fans for the Labour party.

Everything reflects badly on the Conservatives. It was the Conservatives who gave us a referendum that wasn't really being asked for, it was the Conservatives who fought amongst themselves during the referendum campaign (hurling mistruths amongst other thing) and it's now the Conservatives who have triggered article 50 and given us a snap election when it was un-needed.

Theresa May has come out of this very badly. She criticised Corbyn's history for being sympathetic towards terrorists and she herself is now jumping into bed with them. I don't believe the possibility of a Conservative/DUP coalition was hinted at even once during the election. Her credibility has been shot to pieces and I don't see how she can be taken seriously when she goes to talk about the issue of the UK leaving the EU.

All of this time calling a snap election and now reforming a government is taking valuable time out of the Brexit negotiations. You're looking at close to 3 months. Theresa May has got a weaker hand now than she did months ago. Poor leadership.

I was obviously delighted with the Labour gains on Thursday night, but am trying to douse myself with realism now. The Tories are still in charge and will enter into an agreement with a group of homophobic, anti+abortion creationists to help them keep a hold on power, so some of their policies will likely still go through. May will still be in charge of Brexit negotiations and could still end up getting us 'no deal' despite the possibility of a decent Brexit negotiation being one of the positive outcomes of a DUP agreement.

Optimistically though the Tories will be governing with a miniscule majority, only achieved by working with a party that are objectionable to the majority of the population. Their social care and pension policies are unlikely to be passed through parliament and they will have to take responsibility for the mess the country will be in once we leave the EU.

Before Theresa May became PM she was the only viable option to become leader of the party in the wake of Cameron's resignation. A year on and her reputation has been well and truly demolished by repeated own goals and the prospect of her fighting another election is increasingly unlikely. There are no strong candidates to replace her, with Ruth Davidson the only Tory coming out of the election with an enhanced reputation not holding a seat in Westminster and unlikely to want to work with the DUP if she took a seat in a bi-election because of their views on homosexuality.

The country at large has become disenchanted with the Conservative government over the last 12 months and the political landscape has changed dramatically. Despite the bad that the Tories can still do to this country over the course of the next parliament, their negativity will be neutered somewhat and they will have to take ownership of the outcome of Brexit and their agreement with the DUP, which will only strengthen the resurgent Labour party going into the next election.

One of the few hopes we have (that's a bleak phrase...) is that Ruth will use the 13 seats that are likely to be more loyal to her than to TM and try and force her away from the hard/no Brexit deal. Ruth did actively support Remain (unlike Theresa) and Scotland as a whole voted for it, so she could use that to force May to stop her nonsense.

Maybe. Hopefully.

Its crazy what has happened. May wont last long.

Corbyn is attracting new voters judging by the results(hard to forecast). Glad to be wrong about him.

One of the few hopes we have (that's a bleak phrase...) is that Ruth will use the 13 seats that are likely to be more loyal to her than to TM and try and force her away from the hard/no Brexit deal. Ruth did actively support Remain (unlike Theresa) and Scotland as a whole voted for it, so she could use that to force May to stop her nonsense.

Maybe. Hopefully.

I do not think it matters. Its the conservatives...

It gets more hilarious by the minute! Tories releasing a statement on a deal with the DUP, which was then retracted and said to have been released by mistake, when the DUP said no deal had been reached. Corbyn bossing Andrew Marr and grinning from ear to ear, May nowhere to be seen... In other news, England have just won an international football trophy, albeit in u-20's competition.

Parallel universe confirmed.

It gets more hilarious by the minute! Tories releasing a statement on a deal with the DUP, which was then retracted and said to have been released by mistake, when the DUP said no deal had been reached. Corbyn bossing Andrew Marr and grinning from ear to ear, May nowhere to be seen... In other news, England have just won an international football trophy, albeit in u-20's competition.

I can't keep up, tbh. The UK is a fucking weird place at the moment.

I did see a clip of her entering a church on the news today and I assume that was from this morning.

I also heard apparently DUP don't work on Sundays (its God's day after all) so nothing would be happening today.