NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Spoiler-Free: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Clickbait.

It's strange though, the European sites are the ones "dragging down" the Metacritic score.

I'm really glad to hear that a lot of enjoyment has been derived from this game, personally I'm also enjoying it though I've also been taking notes as I play - in addition to screens - in preparation for the review.

Obviously I'm under no embargo because this is my own copy and I'm going to try and keep things as spoiler-free as possible but the more I play, the more it becomes evident how huge this game is and I find it fascinating to read both threads so that I can read about how everyone else is finding the game. :)

Which brings me to the question I wish to ask; Do any of you mind if I use the following quotes in the review providing I give full credit? : peace:

I had my first sad moment tonight.

I was on the hunt for a decent horse (both in looks and traits), found a lovely black horse, with a white mane and feet. It ran away even though I was being stealthy, pursued for a while, finally got to mount it after a few minute chase. It threw me right off and ran away, again I pursued on foot. I've got a good, strong horse here I thought. After about 15 minutes of chasing and being thrown off (about 5 times) I took a stamina elixir and tried one final time... Yes success he finally let me on!

One problem we were on the side of a steep hill and we couldn't get up... eventually we slid achingly slowly to our inevitable date with the lake below. Where he swam around a bit and then I drowned...

And I'll never even get to name him or even find out if he was actually any good stats wise... :(

This is one of the greatest games of all time. I'm so glad I'm exploring it slowly and casually. This is the way it was meant to be played. Take your time, wander around, not aimlessly but not so directed. Gradually build up strength, but not in an obvious "item gate" kind of way.... Leaning recipes, stumbling upon villages, running from enemies that can one-shot you. Absolutely incredible.

It has niggles. It has parts that are overly frustrating and the rain! Oh god, the rain. But it doesn't take away from it, really, just adds to the challenge.

I came across a Stone Tallus east of the Plateau, ran away from it as I wasn't equipped to take it down a second time. Ran up a hill, easily 100 metres away, it still threw a massive rock my way!

Ran away further.

This game is phenomenal. Like, genuinely one of the best games I have ever played good. Not overly far in the game in the grand scheme of things but I have put several hours in.

It's just open world done right. Like they've scaled to a massive world yet in Wind Waker fashion there is something unique in every quadrant to seek out, which is something most other open world games don't do. Usually it's a case of copy-paste some feature or landmark across a large map and inundate the player with loads of icons to visit. Not here, no sir. Even getting into many shrines is quite different fairly often, never mind what goes on in the shrines.

I can't get over what an amazing reinvention of Zelda this is. Like what kind of mad shit went down in a board room, what coke-fuelled epiphany happened, to lead to this end result...we'll probably never know. I would love them to do this kind of shit with some of Nintendo's other series too.

All I can say is that Aonuma is king. Majora's Mask and then this is nothing short of sorcery. Fucking game of the generation right here.

Couldn't have said it better. Glad you're enjoying it as much as I am.

I think this game is a great example of when to allow a game to be delayed. This is the PERFECT Zelda - everything I've always wished it to be.

Multiple things to do, multiple towns, expanded lore and history, a race that has mostly only been represented by one or two people, items put to good use on a regular basis... I could go on.

SS I didn't feel like completing, TP I completed in like 3 days and never went back to - But this game... Im probably over 40 hours in and I haven't done much yet feel fulfilled to the point of actually holding back putting on the Switch today because I know its going to sap time.

Nintendo's practices are mostly questionable with regards to their hardware but when they make stuff like this I cant help but forgive their trespasses.

I'm glad that you are loving it! I have been wondering what your thoughts are.

I couldn't put it better what you said myself.

It literally feels like I am on a genuine adventure. I can't really put into words how I feel about this game.

I love how this game leaves the player to figure things out. Its great. I went on a raft and got my korok leaf out. Made my way to this random island and then it was a gateway to a shrine. I climbed a random mountain, furthest away from civilisation and found a korok.

I'm enjoying the story and lore. Its clear and straightforward.

All of the shrines I have encountered are clever - puzzles or defeating the mini boss.

Masterpiece

It's not so much to pad-out the review as I already have loads to talk about but more that I'd like to have a section dedicated to the forums experience, I'll likely trawl through the other thread later but in the meantime if anyone wants to highlight any particular quotes or wants a quote of theirs possibly included then give me a shout plus the quote in full. :D

I can't remember a time that a game like this has come out with this much variation to offer from a Nintendo title in such a unique fashion so I think it would be nice to have some extra quotes in the main review, plus if it really takes off then maybe a seperate article as well.

This is a really fantastic time to be a gamer, especially on Nintendo platforms and it's great to see the community so passionate, also I want to throw a thanks to @Goron_3 for helping provide some reviews for us of his own back. :smile:

A big thank you to every member of this site/forum for making this place so great and for making playing through a brand new Zelda game - be it on either platform - that little bit more special. :D

That's an absurd criticism, if there's one thing you can say about this game it's that it completely changes up the formula whilst still feeling like Zelda.

My only criticism so far is that there isn't a roll button, it would make the combat feel much more dynamic and offer more options with how to tackle enemies. Combat still feels solid though but I've still got my Dark Souls head on and obviously nothing is going to compare to that in terms of fluidity.

Edited by killthenet
Automerged Doublepost

I'm 50 hours in to this game and i still have four sections of the map to uncover. 50 hours in and still in absolute disbelief that this game was actually made by Nintendo.

I'm 50 hours in to this game and i still have four sections of the map to uncover. 50 hours in and still in absolute disbelief that this game was actually made by Nintendo.

I'm 65 hours in and have 8 left to uncover :D

I'm 65 hours in and have 8 left to uncover :D

Saw the yesterday, and @Kav on 95, mental. Still loving it you both that long in?

Saw the yesterday, and @Kav on 95, mental. Still loving it you both that long in?

Absolutely :D

Which brings me to the question I wish to ask; Do any of you mind if I use the following quotes in the review providing I give full credit? : peace:

Sure, go for it. :smile:

Will that be my play-time or will it include my Mrs' and her kids' playtimes too? As they've played a fair bit, my mrs has done 15-20 hours for sure I'd guess.

I'll give my full impressions once I've finished it but I'll say this; they are positive.

You can use my quote @S\.C\.G but only if you fix my typo in "leaning" :p

Open world games generally aren't my thing (and I'm still not entirely convinced so far with Breath of the Wild) but I don't think I've ever experienced a game where I feel so compelled to explore at my leisure :smile:

Every time I play, I set out to get towards the main objective but something else will catch my eye and I'll set off in that direction only for something else to grab my attention along the way. I often look at the map to find that I'm much further away from my original objective than when I started out :grin:

I'm not that far into it yet (I think I've only activated 4 towers at this stage) but I'm enjoying it so far, even if I'm somewhat waiting for it to go to the next level and blow me away.. but that's coming, right? :heh:

Other openworld games could learn a lot from Nintendo's first shot at it.

Xenoblade_box_artwork.png

Yeah, it definitely takes from Xenoblade, and other modern RPGs. Far too much, in my opinion. The sidequests are the same "Get me 10 crafting items" sort of thing.

I think it depends what you want from an open world game as well. I was talking to @Kav earlier about it and couldnt really agree on it but I think thats because I want my worlds to be alive as in a story around every corner etc while Kav was talking about the interactivity of Hyrule in this game. Both valid reasons I think.

I think it depends what you want from an open world game as well. I was talking to @Kav earlier about it and couldnt really agree on it but I think thats because I want my worlds to be alive as in a story around every corner etc while Kav was talking about the interactivity of Hyrule in this game. Both valid reasons I think.

Yeah, I can see why Zelda doesn't resonate with some, just because it does so with me it doesn't leave me blind to see how others won't feel the same toward it.

I can see why people don't like weapons breaking. I don't mind it and as a result of the way it's led me to play the game I'm glad it's in there as I would have approached things differently and not had as much fun with it.

But I can see why others would rather they didn't.

Whilst I'm obviously not featured(having still not really sunk myself into this game yet) - I very much like the idea of featuring forumites in main site things @S\.C\.G! Hoping to sink myself into a session on this tonight - I'm still not even at like the 3rd 'objective'(if I've counted right).

There are definitely a few too many 'collect 10 XXXX' quests but there is still a wide variety of things to do. I've been putting off doing the main quest line for the past few days and have still spent hours every day exploring. Every session I play I find something interesting or unusual and there seem to be Korok's and Shrines hidden everywhere. It's amazing how fun just walking around Hyrule is, it really feels like a spiritual sequel to Wind Waker more than anything else.

I meant Nintendo's EAD teams themselves, not MonolithSoft

*places goalposts back to their original position*

Surprised they needed moving at all considering it was obvious I was talking about Nintendo developers not Nintendo publishers.

Yeah, it definitely takes from Xenoblade, and other modern RPGs. Far too much, in my opinion. The sidequests are the same "Get me 10 crafting items" sort of thing.

The whole world reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles X....

But I do love it :D.

I fail to see how Monolith's aid in this deters from the fact that this is Nintendo's developers' first attempt at an "open-air" experience?

I mean, to analogise this, there is so much CGI in major blockbuster films these days that the studio producing the film often has to distribute the processing of CGI amongst multiple studios to have the film fully rendered faster than it would be if only the producing studio was rendering the CGI.

Last year's Deadpool, for example, "only" had a production budget of $58 million, but this fails to take into account that the director, Tim Miller, distributed quite a lot of work to his own studio, Blur, who are renowned entirely based on their CGI production efforts (either at little expense or none at all, so that budget doesn't exactly seem like a fair reflection in my opinion, but anyhow), which reduced production costs substantially as it was seen as in-house work (his staff were likely paid through means other than the film's budget to save accounting for it). Similar to Deadpool, the CGI in Star Wars films is all worked upon and rendered, to my knowledge at least, by ILM, a subsidiary of Lucasfilm and, by extension, The Walt Disney Company, and it's because of this relationship of ownership that the CGI for Tarkin and Leia could be achieved: this was one in the works well before principal photography of the film actually started.

Long analogy short: does ILM producing and rendering the CGI for Star Wars make the films any less a project of Lucasfilm, who they are a subsidiary of? I ask this because Monolith is owned by Nintendo in the same vain - 100% ownership - and, from what I've read, they helped out very similarly to how the CGI rendering companies I listed helped their parent/other companies, mainly with cleaning up textures and helping Nintendo realise this open world fully, which makes sense considering that they are a first-party company with an expertise in open world gaming, as evidenced by some of the entries in the Xenoblade franchise.

Edited by Julius Caesar