NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Spoiler-Free: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Had there been trophies then I probably would have pushed myself to do it. :D

You ever considered the possibility that you might have a Trophy addiction?

You ever considered the possibility that you might have a Trophy addiction?

It's not just trophies it's a kinda general gaming OCD.

Even as a kid I would find it difficult to move on from a game if I knew I could 100% it. I would always try to see all the levels, get all the unlockables and only then would I move on.

I was talking to Lostmario the other day about this and I really struggled to put Zelda to one side. The 900 seeds is doable but very time consuming and even though I put the game away after having issues with the guide, I still found myself feeling a need to go get them.

I accepted a long time ago that i'm kinda broken but at the same time it's pushed me into a better gamer, as I do challenges I would never touch and play difficulties I normally wouldn't bother with.

MonolithSoft has been a 1st party Nintendo studio since 2007.

Apologies I stand corrected then, I thought the EAD studios were all Nintendo had as first party devs.

Someone on Reddit was watching the end credits and noticed an English name early on in the credits, which they noted as highly atypical for a Nintendo game (and even more so when it comes to programming).

6zqn5gj.jpg

They dug a bit further into the name Corey Bunnel and found this forum. Now, the poster there may not be the same person here, but it's certainly a possibility and worth mentioning (in my opinion).

Hello. I graduated from high school this and I have not yet applied to any university. I plan on doing so but I am not sure what to do as of yet. For my senior year in high school I spent 5 months in Japan as an exchange student. Also before this I went on a three week exchange to the same school. Both exchanges were great experiences for me, and I really want to get back in Japan as soon as possible. I was looking into going to a 2 year language school which would enable me to pass the highest level profiency test. I found out that my local VSAC student loan center doesn't support any sort of school in Japan so I would have to pay for school out of my own pocket or through a regular expensive loan.

This really puts a poison on me going to school there.

My dream is to live in Japan and work for Nintendo as a game designer. I realize this is a very large goal but it has been my dream since I first played Mario. I need help figuring out how to achieve this goal. I know I would need to goto a game design school of some sort, and also get my Japanese to a level where I can speak and write professionally.

What would any of you recomend?

I know this post is VERY general, so please ask me questions that would make your advice more helpful.

Thank you all in advanced!

Dude's dream was to live in Japan and work for Nintendo as a game designer; 10 years later, he's worked on Nintendo's best reviewed game since the best reviewed game of all time (OOT). Great motivation for us all!

I'm over 25 hours into this now but my last couple of sessions have threatened to induce some boredom as my exploration hasn't been leading to anything particularly important or interesting.

I've only taken down one divine beast thus far so my best course of action right now might be to focus a little more on the main quest!

I'd like to find more of the memories but most seem to be grouped together in a particular spot by hyrule Castle which I'm nowhere near exploring

I'm now 70 hours in, and only done one divine beast and 9/12 memories, 43 shrines and 109 seeds.

I just can't seem to go straight to a task, I've been trying to get to the tech place for 3 days! This game is like crack for us procrastinators!

I'm now 70 hours in, and only done one divine beast and 9/12 memories, 43 shrines and 109 seeds.

I just can't seem to go straight to a task, I've been trying to get to the tech place for 3 days! This game is like crack for us procrastinators!

I'm quite similar to you 55 hours, one beast, 35 shrines, only a quarter of the map uncovered.

Explored the area east of Lake Hylia, the humid steamy area, so cool. The lizalfo ambush towards the end of a sidequests there was cool.

I'm well over 40 hours into Breath of the Wild now and there's still a long way to go.

While I actually feel like this is probably exactly the game I needed right now and I am enjoying exploring Hyrule, building myself up to eventually take on the final battle, I don't feel like I enjoy the game as much as many other Zelda titles.

I'm keen to play Skyward Sword again as I remember adoring it from start to finish in a way I don't think I'll ever be able to say with Breath of the Wild.

It's not a Zelda game in my opinion. You could've put a brand new IP to this and I bet it wouldn't have been as well received. It's a good game for sure, but Wind Waker had more charm in its opening hour than I've encountered in more than 60 with this.

In my opinion it's an exploration game, not a Zelda game. As a Zelda, it's way below most of the others (although I did enjoy the four dungeons). I mean, just compare the actual gameplay to, say, Link's Awakening. Breath of the Wild falls far short of that.

However, to be fair, it's one of the best exploration games I've ever played. After 140 hours, I really started to enjoy playing about in the game world. It's just that I don't really expect a Zelda game to last that long.

I think it's Zelda through and through. I don't think Zelda should be judged purely on how the atmosphere compares to the last 2-3/your favourite Zelda games, but the series as a whole which has evolved immensely over 20+ years. Zelda 1 doesn't have the atmosphere of Wind Waker, so is it not a Zelda game? Of course there are aspects that feel sparse that bring you away from the Zelda-ness, but those are demerits of the game itself, not its qualification as a series entry. The puzzles, music, controls and combat, boss fights, items and abilities and the character/humour of the NPCs puts this solidly in its place in the Zelda world in my mind.

This game is just incredible.

90 hours in, 2 dungeons done, 50ish shrines, just under half the map uncovered. I'm having such a great time taking each region in turn and it's so exciting knowing there's another 7 or 8 towers/areas still to uncover. I can't imagine unlocking the whole map in one go at the very beginning, I'm sure people who did that enjoyed it, but personally I could never play it like that.

What I find interesting is that whilst it really is 'go anywhere, do anything', the game definitely tries to lead you a certain way. A lot of the regions have a very clear entrance point, and I also suspect most people will have gone east from the Plateau, to Kakariko, then to Hateno, then south filling in the bottom part of the map. Just a feeling, could be wrong of course.

The latest little touch to make me grin was noticing that an ice block was melting because I was carrying a fire sword.

The regions with the dungeons in them feel like traditional Zelda, a town with lots of sidequests and story missions, cutscenes, new abilities etc, and the rest of the regions feel like they brought the overworld of the original Legend of Zelda into 3D and modernised it. Magic.

I agree that the game gently nudges you in a certain direction, but I think it leads you towards the North from Hateno rather than South. I basically just went round the map anti-clockwise from Hateno so the south coast was one of the last places I went.

I agree that the game gently nudges you in a certain direction, but I think it leads you towards the North from Hateno rather than South. I basically just went round the map anti-clockwise from Hateno so the south coast was one of the last places I went.

Interesting, I can see your point actually, I remember the tech lab at Hateno sending you north, but I haven't actually done that mission yet, and went clockwise instead. Without any spoilers is the tech lab north of Hateno worth doing early in the game or would it be ok to go there towards the end?

If it wasn't for the fact that I can dip into Breath of the Wild anywhere and any time with ease thanks to the Switch, I dread to think just how little time I may have been able to put into the game since launch. The convenience is certainly one of the factors that keeps drawing me in as I feel like my desire might not be so great if I was playing on the Wii U instead!

Interesting, I can see your point actually, I remember the tech lab at Hateno sending you north, but I haven't actually done that mission yet, and went clockwise instead. Without any spoilers is the tech lab north of Hateno worth doing early in the game or would it be ok to go there towards the end?

It's something you can leave until later in the game but going there can improve your chances when facing tougher enemies so if you find yourself struggling against guardians then its worth heading there.

I definitely think the game leads you (and indeed, is best played) by going anti-clockwise round the map. However, I personally feel it doesn't lead you to the south-east at any point.

I think I'm the only one that may have done things in a different order, Beast wise. After Hateno village I wondered around for a bit then went to Gerudo Valley to do that one. I think it was then Zoras Domain and Death Mountain then the final one to the west.

Either way I've logged over 105 hours in the game. Have yet to defeat Gannon. 64 shrines, 72 Korok seeds. Just got my 18th heart container and a full two rings of stamina. I still have two areas of the map uncovered but am spending most of my time just exploring.

It's so nice that after having 1 town in MM, 1 in WW, 1 (basically) in TP and 1 in SS, we finally have lots of towns. I was surprised when I came across the one in the south. Hadn't seen it in any trailers or gameplay.

180 hours in, haven't done Ganon, yet, but it's getting soon. All shrines done, 281 Koroks (damn they are getting hard to find now, was hoping to hit a 1/3 of them before the end). At the moment, I'm farming Lynels, Lizalfos, and dragons for clothing upgrades. Then it's onto Hyrule Castle. I don't know what I'll do when it's all over, haha.

Fair to say I was... cautious.. going into this. Haven't played a console Nintendo game since Super Mario Galaxy (I think..??? That's mental seeings it's ten years since that was out) bar a few hours of Skyward Swords which I quickly packed in.

Wasn't particularly attracted to the E3 stuff, and it was only the last trailer that truely got me interested. Finally got myself a Switch last week, having waited for ages for stock.

Anyway... whew. Probably about 15 hours in.. this game is amazing. If my ten year old self had been able to play this I'd have totally lost my shit. I remember running around the tiny Ocarina Hyrule just exploring, and loving it. I said in the Witcher thread last year that that game felt like the natural evolution of what Ocarina started in the 90s. I was wrong; this is that game, and the sense of Zelda-y-ness is totally there for me. Though it also seems completely unique; a bit of Last Guardian in it's sense of scale, but the feeling of being totally in the world seems quite unique. It also has a touch of Ghibli to the art style and the towns, and I love the slightly more eastern music and instruments in the score.

Totally the antidote to coming off Horizon, which I found completely stale and uninspired. When I play this, I feel like every playtime I find something weird, new, fun, or buzzing with personality. I'm surprised it's had such mixed reviews around here - I'm totally hooked and loving it. Didn't think Nintendo had it in them to be honest. :bowdown:

It's a breath of fresh air to the openworld formula. It'll be interesting to see how soon other games start copying aspects of it. I'm looking forward to trying Horizon, but I feel bad for it, coming out the same weekend as this.

...I also suspect most people will have gone east from the Plateau, to Kakariko, then to Hateno, then south filling in the bottom part of the map. Just a feeling, could be wrong of course.

Nah, I think you're wrong actually. I went the standard route to Hateno, and then to the south east of the plateau, not even knowing what to expect. After a long trek, i end up in the desert, not being able to move because of the heat. Hahah, i love it.

Thinking back to that time, everything was dangerous, and I was never prepared for anything. Now i'm a fearless killing machine. They really got the evolution of you, Link, just right. Kinda like the more you remember, the more dangerous you become. I like that.

On a side note.... the music in Tarry Town... <3 <3 <3 One of my favorite themes from the game :D

I'm looking forward to trying Horizon, but I feel bad for it, coming out the same weekend as this.

Don't feel too bad, Horizon outsold Zelda (combined on both systems) in the first couple of weeks so they're probably not losing much sleep over it. Even when Zelda catches up, it's one hell of an achievement and they've definitely left their mark.