NEurope
gaggle64

US Presidential Election 2016 - Nightmare Mode

Yeah I was thinking impeachment because I thought Nixon was impeached but looked at it he resigned before it happened.

Although I can't imagine Trump resigning regardless :heh:

Nixon said many things in his 1974 resignation speech which still hold true now well over 40 years after he said it.

There's no doubt that Obama is a great speaker but how much has really changed in the two terms he has been president.

Obamacare and some improved deals with foreign countries (Cuba and Iran) but I can't name much else off hand. I really wonder how either Trump or Clinton can really change anything apart from lip service.

Edited by sumo73
Long post edited down.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi1.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FrnzPt6DcwEY%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&f=1

It's voting day in the US at last, which means our collective nightmare will soon be over/continue indefinitely (delete as applicable).

The situation is still neck and neck. Polls show a very slight lead for Clinton with higher then expected early turnout from Latinos & Asian voters but lower than expected early turnout from African-Americans. Markets are betting on a Clinton victory but a Brexit-style upset is still very much on the cards. A winner will likely be declared at around 4am GMT.

I might have to get drunk.

hold-onto-your-butts.gif

I've seen a few polls that are confident of a clinton win, but the margin seems too high. Also could that affect people bothering to turn out, assuming someone else will do it for them? I remember a few days after the referendum I was talking to some guys at an airport.. They were about a decade younger than me, they knew lots of remainers about their age who didn't vote because they had other things planned for the day of the vote/ran out of time (I appreciate this is very insubstantial and is only anecdotal). I think the democrats are a little scared about that, lots of democrat voices urging people to get out to vote, while the republicans seem to be , on the whole, happy to let things play out as they are.

I've been following the US elections fairly loosely because I fell out of following politics especially UK politics a few months ago in a big way but I think it will be a narrow Clinton win. Make no mistake Clinton needs to heal some big divisions across America (some which she has caused) and Trump will not be the magnanimous loser. Expect him to appear on American TV quite a bit over the next few months taking pot shots at 'crooked Hillary'. I don't think Hillary is as crooked as Trump says but the name is starting to stick.

As for linking the US elections to Brexit, yes there are a few connections in that a lot of very disappointed people feel that they have been ignored or forgotten about which is something the intelligentsia, political elite and the socially mobile have done time and time again. The media paints those people in a very negative light without anyone really listening to the concerns they have to say.

On a side issue. I'm hoping that some of the green candidates make a dent in the American elections and get into congress/senate and that come next US election the media opens up a bit more about 3rd party candidates.

Edited by sumo73
minor spelling mistake...

Just heard that Trump apparently told FOX the voting machines weren't working properly and allocated votes meant for Republicans to Democrats.

I mean...what?

Edit: And I just read it on the most important German news page so it seems to be true.

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be legal in the UK.. guessing you're not meant to look how someone else has voted in the US either?

Not sure but one of his son's has been reported as he tweeted a picture of his ballot paper and that violates New York state law and carries a one year prison sentence.

Kinda wish I could stay up all night to see how this progresses. What time will we see the votes start to come in?

Kinda wish I could stay up all night to see how this progresses. What time will we see the votes start to come in?

It sounds like it'll be from about 11pm - 6am.

I've been watching Sky Atlantic's series 'The Circus'' covering the race and the latest episode featured Joe Biden quite heavily. He seems like a really nice and genuine guy so it's a shame that he felt unable to run because of family tragedy, I think a lot of people would have preferred him over Clinton and Trump.

Who here is planning to stay up? I think I should be able to stay awake if the results come in as planned, looking forward to the concession speeches after such a bitter campaign, it's going to be a struggle for either of them to compliment their rival.

Edited by killthenet

Speaking of Joe Biden...

I'm not so secretly hoping they have, or will film, a small scene with Amy Poehler as Leslie reacting to a Clinton presidency.

Anyway, back to real life... I watched this PBS documentary (geoblocked) the other night. Goes into the background of both candidates. If you don't know much about their pasts its a good overview.

We should have a firm result around 4am, maybe 5am. Might be worth staying up to see the first few projected results from the East coast if you want. If it looks like Hillary will take Florida she'll almost certainly be president, if it's called for Trump it's gonna be a long night for everybody.

Edited by gaggle64

Erm...this is closer than I expected. Trump actually ahead. :nono:

He is now projected to win.

Ohio voting overwhelmingly for Trump and it's looking like he'll take Florida so if he can hold onto his lead in Michigan and take New Hampshire and a couple of others then he will take the Presidency.

It seems like the white working poor are believing Trump's rhetoric, the same kind of disenfranchised feeling that saw the Brexit result in the referendum.

I think Florida just went to Trump as well. It's likely he'll win... this is Brexit all over again...

I want to go back to sleep but not sure I can now... urgh!

I think it's time to get more seriously involved in politics. What a fucking nightmare.

Edited by gaggle64

How? How?!

He has no knowledge or expertise in this area. He has literally bought his way to the top.

Disgusting.

People are waiting for confirmation on Pennsylvania and Michigan. If those are confirmed, Trump is president elect. NBC has reported that US generals have begun checking the constitution for the possible event of receiving an "immoral order". The US Dollar has tanked and markets are down across the board.

Can't say I'm particularly surprised but it is kind of amazing/ridiculous how this thing is going. I guess it's not over yet but it seems like it's only heading in one direction.

I'm very interested to see where things go from here.