NEurope
drahkon

The 'Other' Switch Thread

Well it certainly looks interesting. Not sure about the shared controllers for multiplayer but thats just something I'd have to wait and see how its implemented.

Skyrim was an odd choice to show though. On the one hand its nice for Nintendo fans to be able to play it but it just felt a bit like the Wii U reveal with Batman Arkham City. "Look we've got this game you've all already played!".

Hardware looks very nice, although hardware has never really been my problem with Nintendo, so I'm still in the "wait and see" camp.

Well it certainly looks interesting. Not sure about the shared controllers for multiplayer but thats just something I'd have to wait and see how its implemented.

Skyrim was an odd choice to show though. On the one hand its nice for Nintendo fans to be able to play it but it just felt a bit like the Wii U reveal with Batman Arkham City. "Look we've got this game you've all already played!".

It's a good sign though in that Bethesda has been ignoring Nintendo consoles forever. It's likely just them cashing in on the already being created definitive edition for the Xbone and PS4.

Slick kit though, a good aesthetic like the PS Vita and unlike the Wii U gamepad.

Good trailer, a little too much real life for my taste, though :laughing:

Nothing really new. The name is catchy, not in the Wii brand and suits the concept. Well done.

It's a hybrid, who could've guessed :D Looks easy enough to use. Looks much more comfortable than the Gamepad, but I think that was to be expected. Not bad, not bad at all.

Love the new controller. Looks really comfortable.

Not sure about the size for the portable aspect. Looks too big to slide it into your pocket. Like the idea, though. If it comes with a case for the screen + attached controllers I'll be a happy man.

NBA (2k, I guess?) and Skyrim. Hopefully an indication for better 3rd party support.

New Mario, whose artstyle looks too close to Super Mario 3D World, in my opinion. Will refrain from judging until I've seen more.

Great trailer for the first glimpse. Well done, Nintendo. Now the real work begins:

We need specs, price point, plans for 1st party support, plans for 3rd party support, online structure and OS.

I'm definitely intrigued and interested. If the price will be 299€ max and with a decent launch line-up I will get it day-one. :)

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I saw it. It doesn't necessarily mean the Switch will be getting the next Bethesda game.

I'm not sold at all and I had the same sort of feelings watching this as I did with the WiiU reveal. I'm not sold on the concept. I don't personally need a console I can take with me everywhere. Not a fan of those detachable controllers as they look too small and borderline unusable.

On the plus side, proper Mario. I just hope it has the rest of a good library to back it up.

20-nintendo-switch.jpg

Just talked about it with my best mate and we share the same views:

• good trailer
  • interesting concept, but the portable device looks too big to be "really" portable (not sure how to explain this)
  • assumption: lackluster 1st party launch line-up (Zelda, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon - all ports; and a new Mario)
  • assumption: another Nintendo console with an additional controller (we both hate having more than a dedicated controller)
  • worry: promises of huge 3rd party support; we both know how that went down with the Wii U
  • worry: too much focus on the "switch" aspect which in turn could result in a neglected online infrastructure
  • worry: battery...it needs at least 5 hours of handheld-play
  • wish: great specs

We came to the conclusion that this would only be a day-one purchase if we had a lot of money to spare (contrary to what I said in my last post in here). For now I'll wait and see what Nintendo will bring to the table in the coming months.

• worry: too much focus on the "switch" aspect which in turn could result in a neglected online infrastructure

Not so sure this should be a worry. I mean this is an inherent function that just works. It's not a gimmick like offscreen or dual screen play, switching between the two will only ever be a playstyle option, never a feature. So, logically, once the architecture is in place, the focus should be on everything else.

20-nintendo-switch.jpg

Just talked about it with my best mate and we share the same views:

• good trailer
  • interesting concept, but the portable device looks too big to be "really" portable (not sure how to explain this)
  • assumption: lackluster 1st party launch line-up (Zelda, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon - all ports; and a new Mario)
  • assumption: another Nintendo console with an additional controller (we both hate having more than a dedicated controller)
  • worry: promises of huge 3rd party support; we both know how that went down with the Wii U
  • worry: battery...it needs at least 5 hours of handheld-play
  • wish: great specs

We came to the conclusion that this would only be a day-one purchase if we had a lot of money to spare (contrary to what I said in my last post in here). For now I'll wait and see what Nintendo will bring to the table in the coming months.

That's pretty much where I'm at with it.

I'm going to be sceptical about this until I see a reason to throw my money at it. It's going to be interesting for me this generation because I'm completely satisfied with owning a PS4. I don't necessarily need a second console. So far, I've not seen anything yet to make me want this one, but I know it's early days.

The one thing that I do like is seeing that poster that got posted in the main NX thread where it showed all these developers behind it. It's great seeing them there and it's exciting in a way to see what they potentially come up with. However, part of me looks at that list and sees "Fifa 17 port...Dark Souls III port...Skyrim port..."

So, logically, once the architecture is in place, the focus should be on everything else.

I get what you mean but it's Nintendo so "logically" is always dangerous :p

It's going to be interesting for me this generation because I'm completely satisfied with owning a PS4. I don't necessarily need a second console.

Yeah, Nintendo's new console would only be something to buy if it had a great 1st party line-up from the start. As it is now it looks like a device I'll buy in 2 years.

However, part of me looks at that list and sees "Fifa 17 port...Dark Souls III port...Skyrim port..."

Exactly my thoughts when I saw that poster, too. It's great for Nintendo-only gamers but for others not so much.

By the way: Joy-Con controller? Ah, Nintendo...you never fail to disappoint :laughing:

What I forgot to mention: Those Joy-Con controllers (....) look way too small...even with that weird attachment/link-thingy between them (when they're not connected to the screen).

You know what would've gotten me excited? If the Switch was called NX and didn't have that second screen. Just the box and the standard looking controller.

I'm surprised by the apprehensive responses. I'm one of the biggest Nintendo cynics and I want this, bad.

I'm surprised by the apprehensive responses. I'm one of the biggest Nintendo cynics and I want this, bad.

You're in the wrong thread mate.

For me, it's the utter disappointment that the Wii U was that still makes me sceptical about the Switch. That and the fact that we were promised so much but only a fraction of those promises have been held...

Don't get me wrong, though, I kinda like the concept and it's great that the Switch is being received so nicely (deservedly so, if you look at it objectively). :) If Nintendo can build upon that and bring back some old magic they're onto something big. I really hope they get it right. After all, they still have a place in my heart. :heart:

You're in the wrong thread mate.

Not really, I know that the people here still want Nintendo games. I know that Daft has had a similar feeling to me about the Wii U but was as hyped as me for the Switch immediately.

Just seems like a big leap back in the right direction here. It's gimmick free. These days that's the best thing I can say about any Nintendo announcement.

My thoughts as always with Nintendo is where are the games? This still looks to have all the usual issues.

As a brand they have always had appeal. Their execution is always lacking, great video or not. To me its probably worth getting for nintendo games alone at some point.

This time round i am not sure the specs are ok for home usage though. Its another portable system to me.

Have Fisher Price put out a statement yet confirming they have been dropped by Nintendo as their hardware manufacturer?

My thoughts as always with Nintendo is where are the games? This still looks to have all the usual issues.

As a brand they have always had appeal. Their execution is always lacking, great video or not. To me its probably worth getting for nintendo games alone at some point.

This time round i am not sure the specs are ok for home usage though. Its another portable system to me.

This is the best decision that Nintendo could have taken regarding the lack of games argument. This will essentially replace both the Wii U and the 3DS. So you don't have to buy two systems and studios don't have to worry about developing for two devices.

There (in theory, but this is Nintendo... :heh: ) should be a much steadier flow of games.

Hmmm nice flashy promo/reveal.

Here's my thing, I'm not interested in having a handeheld, can we get a version you just plug into your telly?

If not I can't see me making the switch.

Oh and although it all looks wel! made that stand looked cheap and flimsy.

Hmmm nice flashy promo/reveal.

Here's my thing, I'm not interested in having a handeheld, can we get a version you just plug into your telly?

If not I can't see me making the switch.

Oh and although it all looks wel! made that stand looked cheap and flimsy.

Wouldn't that just be the same as never removing it from the dock?

It would be nice if that stand had some hardcore upscaling tech built into it.

Wouldn't that just be the same as never removing it from the dock?

Nope, I don't need the small screen just a box to plug into my telly. Would be a cheaper option too.

I think releasing 2 versions would just undermine what they are trying to do by just having the one console. You may not want portable but it'll still do the same thing if you just leave it in the dock.

I think releasing 2 versions would just undermine what they are trying to do by just having the one console. You may not want portable but it'll still do the same thing if you just leave it in the dock.

So no antisocial old bastard edition then?

Fuck!

DAY 1 for me!

Cannot wait!

If the system has great online capabilities (party chat) then I can see me prioritising 3rd party games for this over the PS4 and using the PS4 to mop up the rest.

If the system turns out shit - then no biggie. I've got a PS4.