NEurope
drahkon

The 'Other' Switch Thread

Whenever I use my Vita it feels good, like a great piece of technology. With the Gamepad I always felt like it could break at any given moment. And it just didn't feel good to use it.

Not sure if I'm alone with this :laughing:

Nah. I certainly feels the same. Not so much with the GamePad but definitely with the 3DS. It's quite jarring when you switch between playing on a Vita and a 3DS. The difference is night a day in terms of build quality.

And I still hate analogue sticks above the face buttons...

Yeah, this is also an annoyance for me. I don't understand why they done this when Microsoft and Sony do it the other way around. Just to be different? I got used to it on Nintendo's pads, and it's not a deal breaker, but I would much prefer it to be how the other 2 do it.

I think I signed up for whatever new account system Nintendo have now but I cant remember. Is whatever that is ready for the NX and actually an account system we would be happy to use?

I don't understand why they done this when Microsoft and Sony do it the other way around. Just to be different?

Most likely...it's what they've done for years now, trying to be different. It worked with the Wii, it failed with the Wii U. And with the NX they're trying it again it seems.

Worrying situation. :hmm:

Can we add @Rummy to the banned members for this thread please? I dont want him derailing this thread like he is the 3DS one.

Tbh that's unnecessary even if satisfying, and does de-rail here. I'm not a mod here though so I can't delete the post, but I actually would FTR. That's the reason I didn't like the idea of a thread like this(tho tbh it has been refreshing/productive on the discussion front).

Keep it NX people, please PM or write on my wall with forum issues and I'll take it from there, rest assured I'm not unaware and trying to listen! Alternatively PM someone else if you don't like me, cos that saves me some hassle :p

I think I signed up for whatever new account system Nintendo have now but I cant remember. Is whatever that is ready for the NX and actually an account system we would be happy to use?

Tbh I signed up as well but have no idea what my password is - just did it at the time to try and get Rummy or Rumdumcious(forced to have due to never having Rummy) - I don't even recall which one I took! I'd presumed at the time it was in preparation for the future consoles though, possibly with a mind to gage demand and start getting services in place to cope too.

I'm really hoping with the NX that Nintendo have done a lot of backend work to bring their services up to par with competition(online functionality etc) - it's going to be the real deal-breaker for me on this system unless it does something else amazing to sell the thing to me. With some of the rumours about region-free etc though it does have an indication of moving into that sphere and it's kind of exciting!

Edited by Rummy

I hope the Virtual Console gets more fleshed out as well. Loads of us have said it before but it would be great as a subscription service, possibly tied into and online charges if they come.

I was talking to someone on Neogaf today about Animal Crossing and it made me realise just how much I would love to be able to play the Gamecube version again.

I hope the Virtual Console gets more fleshed out as well. Loads of us have said it before but it would be great as a subscription service, possibly tied into and online charges if they come.

I was talking to someone on Neogaf today about Animal Crossing and it made me realise just how much I would love to be able to play the Gamecube version again.

Are you sure GC:AC wouldn't feel dated now though? I'd much rather a new AC for NX, especially given the possibilities again having both handheld and home dockable - but they would need to mix up the formula somehow maybe. Even so - GC version of AC on a handheld for me would certainly be cool - I always felt AC was better suited to handhelds than consoles due to doing things at various times etc. Ofc that was when I was younger and couldn't always get to a TV as much as I wanted, but thinking of a younger generation now I'd think it could still be a similar issue. Yet having said that it's also why I'd probably prefer a more up to date version, to reflect the current situation of things and appeal to them more instead.

Animal Crossing is such a weird franchise in that a lot of the older ones just become redundant whenever the newest one comes out.

Don't get me wrong, they're still good games. But every time I go back to a previous entry, I just keep finding myself thinking, "Oh yeah, that feature was after this one" and it feels very dated.

Pretty much agree with @Rummy on this one.

I do hope Virtual Console games you bought on the WiiU/3DS carry over somehow though. Even if I still would buy EarthBound again like a chump.

I just prefer a lot of the things from the GC version. The gridded nature of the world instead of rolling and the holidays especially.

Im sure a lot of it is down to nostalgia and the fact that it was my first AC game but I'm pretty confident that I'm right and you are all wrong :p

I just prefer a lot of the things from the GC version. The gridded nature of the world instead of rolling and the holidays especially.

Im sure a lot of it is down to nostalgia and the fact that it was my first AC game but I'm pretty confident that I'm right and you are all wrong :p

One interesting point though... if this happened, would Nintendo be cheap enough to either... take out the small selection of fully playable NES games which were in the code or, add on a higher price to the game to reflect the "extra value" you're getting from having these NES titles available in the game, despite the fact that you could have possibly bought them all five times over before now. :heh:

We've just managed to get conversation going in here and only after a load of trouble that would most likely carry on in the main thread. I think this thread has proven its need.

EDIT: I mean I wouldnt have felt comfortable posing the failure question I did in the other thread because I would expect it to get moaned at immediately for being negative instead of the "what if" that it was meant to be.

It's a thread for talking about the NX that Ronnie has agreed not to post in. I now don't see the point in the other thread tbh.

The way I see it, this is meant as a place to discuss the NX, be it negative or positive. The difference is that negative views should be tolerated without the same circular arguments or defences arising.

mars-attacks-nicholson-get-along.gif

Well.......that reads like the simple answer instead of two threads would be for someone (AKA a mod) to shorten Ronnie's leash, just feels a shame we keep having to have a second thread just so one or maybe two members don't jump people*

That said

There more discussion already in here and less arguing already

ANYWHOO

the NX, i love the idea of the tablet with detachable controllers, but i do wonder about the ergonomics! the WiiU controller was alright but after a while my little fingers got a bit numb as they just had to curl near the end of the pad -i'd prefer more of a grip to get on things really, the Gamecube pad was perfect for me -if only they could get that level of ergonomics

EDIT* Just noticed said occurrences in other threads....its like Wii all over again, or maybe worse

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Ha, coincidentally my nephew was playing Animal Crossing on the GC just last week. I think it's the only reason the GC is still hooked up, occasional AC sprees.

Outside of gaming, do you think the NX will brandish the likes of Netflix and maybe even a music streaming service?

I'm assuming the WiiU doesn't currently?

I'm not sure if the NX will or not. It makes sense to, but Nintendo's history with not adding media options (DVD/Bluray players for example) would suggest not.

On another note, I wonder how Nintendo's family friendly goals will interfere with things such as content sharing. Wasn't their concerns about abuse what caused the whole voice chat debacle?

As far back as the Wii Nintendo has allowed Netflix apps. I'm not sure about Amazon video, but I do know that Hulu is also available to Wii U and 3DS. I doubt that it would change with the NX, as it's literally just allowing an app to stream data. Not allowing DVD or Bluray playback is likely and will always be just a silly cost saving cut because of licensing fees. (Or at least that use to be the reasoning ala OG Xbox).

Hell, if I recall rightly a jailbroken Wii could play DVD movies with a bit of software. It's just Nintendo being Nintendo I guess?

As far back as the Wii Nintendo has allowed Netflix apps. I'm not sure about Amazon video, but I do know that Hulu is also available to Wii U and 3DS. I doubt that it would change with the NX, as it's literally just allowing an app to stream data. Not allowing DVD or Bluray playback is likely and will always be just a silly cost saving cut because of licensing fees. (Or at least that use to be the reasoning ala OG Xbox).

Hell, if I recall rightly a jailbroken Wii could play DVD movies with a bit of software. It's just Nintendo being Nintendo I guess?

Yeah the Wii U had Netix... I just want a big multimedia pull as opposed to just being a games console. Maybe like some sort of YouTube in-game video recorder for creating playthroughs for example. Just something.

The other thread someone mentioned rumours on it having sharing features - something akin to what Playstation does is sensible. I know Nintendo don't seem to like too much outside stuff due to risk of their use; the fact is that they exist, are commonplace/commonly used, and very current things. Youtube's huge, especially with young people and LPs etc - it's almost akin to making yourself a Geocities website or some shit. They need to ensure they engage with that to have a successful console imo. It seems so strange to say as I wouldn't have thought it so long ago - but I think a significant amount of this(and any) console's success/demise actually rests outside of hardware and software and mainly on overarching OS and features.

It seems so strange to say as I wouldn't have thought it so long ago - but I think a significant amount of this(and any) console's success/demise actually rests outside of hardware and software and mainly on overarching OS and features.

I'm just thinking if they seriously are after that mobile crowd, Nintendo need to suit up. Going by their past inhibitions I don't think Nintendo has what it takes to draw that crowd, and IMO its success will predominately fall onto pure portable fans.

I remember back in the day buying PS2 magazines and having the ability to play the the demo discs and watch its video content, as well as DVDS. Its that sort of non-gaming side of the PlayStation brand that captured a lot of hearts. Looking back, I can't believe demos only came to a Nintendo console with the Wii U...! (Considering the PS1 was doing this).

Its that sort of modern outreach I fear Nintendo naturally lack.

Edited by King_V

The worst thing for me regarding NX is that I don't really care.

Don't get me wrong. I'm mildly curious, but that's only because I'm here. I grew up with Nintendo. I'm 30 and have had a Nintendo console since I was 4. But I'm just so ambivalent these days, which some say is worse that hating/loving.

I'm not a handheld gamer. I like the big screen. So that doesn't help. And yeah, there are rumours it can be streamed to the big screen but until I know more I would consider myself NX-curious, and nothing more. Which unsettles me slightly.

The worst thing for me regarding NX is that I don't really care.

Don't get me wrong. I'm mildly curious, but that's only because I'm here. I grew up with Nintendo. I'm 30 and have had a Nintendo console since I was 4. But I'm just so ambivalent these days, which some say is worse that hating/loving.

I'm not a handheld gamer. I like the big screen. So that doesn't help. And yeah, there are rumours it can be streamed to the big screen but until I know more I would consider myself NX-curious, and nothing more. Which unsettles me slightly.

Are you anticipating Breath of the Wild?

Are you anticipating Breath of the Wild?

Not really. :( I saw the latest E3 trailer and then refrained from watching anything more. I'm not sure whether it's to keep the final game a surprise or whether I'm just not that bothered. After playing games like The Witcher 3, with a huge open world and intricate story, I'm just not sure whether the new Zelda can best it. Which is something I never thought I'd say.

I'll definitely get the WiiU version, cos: Zelda. But I've got no expectations and won't be pre-ordering unless I've got a lot of superfluous funds.

I also don't care much. I don't see any application for me taking a two-player console out and about. That's just not something I have the time or group dynamic to enjoy. I just want a quality home console that's straightforward to play big Nintendo games (Mario/Zelda/Metroid) and fun party games (Wii Sports/Nintendoland) on. Is targeting the gimmick-loving market really that much stronger a play for Nintendo than appealing to such a crowd? Or will the NX really have a chance to push things forward? Not optimistic on the latter, but I'll wait and see.

The Wii U was the first Nintendo console I didn't buy immediately at launch, since I was old enough to be buying my own stuff.... If things don't change a bit, the NX might be the first Nintendo console I don't buy :(

The Wii U was the first Nintendo console I didn't buy immediately at launch, since I was old enough to be buying my own stuff.... If things don't change a bit, the NX might be the first Nintendo console I don't buy :(

Very much a sentiment I have myself - seems a strange one though! I'm hopeful at the moment, and the hybrid idea may be good enough to get me; just needs certain points of execution to get me sold. I won't pick it up on launch(as I'll have BotW-U to play anyway) but I'll be watching for people's opinions and reviews around the time and seeing if I will from there depending on its price.

Not really. :( I saw the latest E3 trailer and then refrained from watching anything more. I'm not sure whether it's to keep the final game a surprise or whether I'm just not that bothered. After playing games like The Witcher 3, with a huge open world and intricate story, I'm just not sure whether the new Zelda can best it. Which is something I never thought I'd say.

I'll definitely get the WiiU version, cos: Zelda. But I've got no expectations and won't be pre-ordering unless I've got a lot of superfluous funds.

I was similar prior to seeing BotW at E3 - as in what I experienced in Skyward Sword totally threw my Zelda love out of the window. If the game shown wasn't so different from anything that came before, or for that matter anything else Nintendo has attempted I would have completely fell off.

Theres only so many Nintendo curveballs a person can take.

Ashley in another forum pointed out how Microsoft and Sony have kept their brands the same and with a generation-to-generation, longstanding ethos on what the Xbox or Playstation is about - and stuck to those values.

The Nintendo home consoles have been all over the place. Its fine if they felt the Wii and motion controls was their future, but to then make another console with the Wii brand and not further champion and advance that control method, but instead yet throw in another new way to play is very close to psychopathic.

And now we are to anticipate another change, where as each day passes, the allure and mystery of what it could be is waning - personally such extended pseudo-hype just often means that the product doesn't live up to it when its finally unveiled after such a prolonged cock tease. Just like in relationships, sane people are likely to just move on after bouts of cock-teasing and false pretencies.

That's how Im feeling with the other two - besides Nintendo games, they've got what we have been waiting up to 20 years for - full third party support. Full online support since about 10 years ago. And an air of caring for and nurturing their fanbase by trying to keep them happy and engaged.

Edited by King_V

Actually it seems as though the NX might be the wiimotes and gamepad combined, neatly bringing together the Wii, the Wii U, and DS lines. It's all very clever.