NEurope
drahkon

The 'Other' Switch Thread

The hype and views his reveal has got has been crazy. After everyone said they've left it too late. Whether Nintendo tells us tomorrow what we want to hear or not, or in January, it won't make a difference. We'll get little nuggets up to January and then the info explosion for 3 months. I think by the time that comes we'all all be glad as it'll be an exciting build up to release.

The hype and views his reveal has got has been crazy. After everyone said they've left it too late. Whether Nintendo tells us tomorrow what we want to hear or not, or in January, it won't make a difference. We'll get little nuggets up to January and then the info explosion for 3 months. I think by the time that comes we'all all be glad as it'll be an exciting build up to release.

Could you feasible see however that some people may be deciding between waiting for the Switch and getting another console (be that PS4, Pro, VR, S etc) for Christmas (for themselves or someone else) and feel that as they don't know, they'll leave the Switch?

I don't think it's a huge audience, but I do wonder how much it might be impacting sales by remaining so quiet. Even weirdly quiet on stuff like confirming if it has a touch screen.

Could you feasible see however that some people may be deciding between waiting for the Switch and getting another console (be that PS4, Pro, VR, S etc) for Christmas (for themselves or someone else) and feel that as they don't know, they'll leave the Switch?

I don't think it's a huge audience, but I do wonder how much it might be impacting sales by remaining so quiet. Even weirdly quiet on stuff like confirming if it has a touch screen.

I'm sure there will be something people like that, but hardly any I think. It is slightly strange, but I also like the focus of their messaging. I mean it's pretty obvious that it will have motion controls and touch screen, but the fact they didn't say it means they must have a new marketing team - one clear message at a time! Christmas is all a bit crazy, so let's really attack it early next year. It all feels quite smart to me. However much I'm desperate to know everything about it.

I will say though, listening to the ign playstation guys video, can't remember what they're called but they have that unbearable Colin morarty on it, they said get the bad news out now, whatever it is. And I actually think that would be a great idea. Let people soak it up, get used to it.

Maybe the bad news is there's going to be no news until next year? :heh:

I just think the fact we don't know what features the console has is crazy/annoying.

'Here are some of the Switches basic features...'

'What?... you want to know it's other basic features?... Uhh, uhh, uhhhhh... don't be greedy, you wait for those'.

F you.

I just think the fact we don't know what features the console has is crazy/annoying.

'Here are some of the Switches basic features...'

'What?... you want to know it's other basic features?... Uhh, uhh, uhhhhh... don't be greedy, you wait for those'.

F you.

Could it not be because the system specs hasn't been finalised yet/still configuring?

I don't believe its complete and I think they need to re-tweak the switching mechanic for removing the joycons.

Could it not be because the system specs hasn't been finalised yet/still configuring?
Specs are fine, system specs change between reveal and launch...

But showing the screen and not confirming if it's a touch screen... not confirming any other Media playback outside of cartridges... does it have Gyro sensors? It's strange there's no forward facing camera on the thing in this day and age... Or will there be come launch?

Clarify the things you're showing, or don't show it at all. Why a half reveal?

Specs are fine, system specs change between reveal and launch...

But showing the screen and not confirming if it's a touch screen... not confirming any other Media playback outside of cartridges... does it have Gyro sensors? It's strange there's no forward facing camera on the thing in this day and age... Or will there be come launch?

Clarify the things you're showing, or don't show it at all. Why a half reveal?

I understand. To me this was just a conceptual showing to finally clarify what the NX is within 3 mins. I'm sure they'll reveal all the juice in a long arse Direct, like Smash Bros.

But I'm still happy with finally knowing what it is.

I understand. To me this was just a conceptual showing to finally clarify what the NX is within 3 mins. I'm sure they'll reveal all the juice in a long arse Direct, like Smash Bros.

Yeh as a conceptual video it did ok - but then one shot of a swipe on the screen, or switching from playing a game to watching a movie/listening to music, would have been so simple to include.

I think part of my problem is it mostly confirmed the EG rumours, so it still feels like I don't know anything new (just something official).

Oh well.

If that's all the bad news then I'll take that :D

I will say though, listening to the ign playstation guys video, can't remember what they're called but they have that unbearable Colin morarty on it, they said get the bad news out now, whatever it is. And I actually think that would be a great idea. Let people soak it up, get used to it.

Colin doesn't work for IGN, he hasn't for a long time now. You were probably listening to Kinda Funny and it was Greg who said it.

What's your beef with Colin? The guy knows his stuff. There's a reason why #ColinWasRight is a thing.

Nah. I'm still expecting their online setup to be completely borked.

Colin doesn't work for IGN, he hasn't for a long time now. You were probably listening to Kinda Funny and it was Greg who said it.

What's your beef with Colin? The guy knows his stuff. There's a reason why #ColinWasRight is a thing.

Nah. I'm still expecting their online setup to be completely borked.

Yeah I realised they all broke off, I meant ex staff. Good point though. As for Colin, his way of speaking just sounds so obnoxious.

As for online, just got a feeling they're going to nail it.

But other than party chat what else could they do? Invite system?

Yeah I realised they all broke off, I meant ex staff. Good point though. As for Colin, his way of speaking just sounds so obnoxious.

As for online, just got a feeling they're going to nail it.

But other than party chat what else could they do? Invite system?

Colin is a very marmite personality. I think he's great.

Basically I want their online setup to be pretty much the same as the Xbox or PS. I want party chat, to be able to see who's online, set it so I can see notifications for when people come online, have instant messaging with notifications, having access to all of these features while playing any game online. It was infuriating with the Wii U where if you were playing online some games wouldn't allow you to hit the Home button and access the main OS screen.

I honestly have zero faith that they will match what has pretty much been standard in the industry for 2 generations now.

Basically I want their online setup to be pretty much the same as the Xbox or PS. I want party chat, to be able to see who's online, set it so I can see notifications for when people come online, have instant messaging with notifications, having access to all of these features while playing any game online. It was infuriating with the Wii U where if you were playing online some games wouldn't allow you to hit the Home button and access the main OS screen.

I honestly have zero faith that they will match what has pretty much been standard in the industry for 2 generations now.

Isn't this why they partnered with DeNa though? I'm 100% certain it will be an improvement on what the Wii U had, though whether it will be enough is another question.

They partnered for the mobile aspect more than online as far as I'm aware.

They partnered for the mobile aspect more than online as far as I'm aware.

You're right, but I thought this was also interesting:

TOKYO, JAPAN - March 17, 2015 - Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Tokyo: 7974) and DeNA Co., Ltd. (Tokyo: 2432) today entered into a business and capital alliance to develop and operate new game apps for smart devices and build a new multi-device membership service for consumers worldwide.

If the online services are integrated with smartphones / PC / web etc. as we were led to believe then I'm fairly confident we'll see a fairly large-scale improvement, even if the My Nintendo rewards have been nothing to write home about thus far.

I would like to see Achievments/Trophies.

They started off kind awesome, became kind of pointless e-peen points. But they've been intergrated much better over time with automatic screenshots, community rarity and for percentage completes. I also think it's fun to compare trophies when people are round.

It's also a nice little record of you gaming history. Like, right now, I can go all the way back EIGHT years ago, to the first integration of PS Trophies and see what I was playing. I like that.

You're right, but I thought this was also interesting:

If the online services are integrated with smartphones / PC / web etc. as we were led to believe then I'm fairly confident we'll see a fairly large-scale improvement, even if the My Nintendo rewards have been nothing to write home about thus far.

I suppose that is an online interface whereas I was thinking more the online infrastructure (party chat and that like). Depends if they're doing both.

Although the recent news about DeNA doesn't exactly give much hope.

Yeh as a conceptual video it did ok - but then one shot of a swipe on the screen, or switching from playing a game to watching a movie/listening to music, would have been so simple to include.

I hear you - but they could have also shown a lot more within that space of time that could slowly tread on that "confusion" line again, especially for the layman. The way they kept the initial reveal tells me they are likely following a stringent marketing strategy, which I am all for - As in one clear bit of information at a time.

Wow, should have come in this thread earlier! H-o-T and FLink have very much seemed to sum up a lot of my own thoughts/feelings on the system so far.

September, I think.

It would be pointless rolling out FIFA in March. From a consumer point of view, you'd be buying a product midway through a season. The main selling point of FIFA is that it aims to replicate that weekly Premier/football league experience. Assuming the Switch comes out in March, then you'd barely have 4 months with it before the season is over. EA would make very little profit on this one before rolling out FIFA18.

FIFA18 has to be the same version as the other consoles. It can't be some special/lesser version. It has to be the real deal, the same as what everyone else gets. Portable FIFA could actually be a huge selling point if it's the same version that you play on the PS4/One.

Not quite on the line - but one thing cool about the system's apparent setup is that is if it DID have FIFA - how awesome would it be if you're on your lunch at work; bust out your Switch, and have a quick game with a mate? Ofc that does actually as I type make me wonder about the screen size for having a two player game like Fifa, but...yeah! I just like the idea of that ease of quick multiplay.

I also believed 6 months wasn't enough time to reveal before release - but I think it really doesn't matter because the message of what the Switch is is clear and concise. Most people know if they are going to buy this or not based on what was shown.

I'd disagree from just the folks here(though admittedly not representative) - I'd say least me, kav, HoT and Flink are interested but certainly on the fence from the posts so far. I like the promise of the system - but right now it isn't a day one or guaranteed purchase for me until I know a significant amount more about it. EDIT: Nvm hadn't caught up on all posts and this has been pretty well addressed already!

Edited by Rummy

Nintendo offering the chance to win a Switch...

[tweet]790502556720128000[/tweet]

I'd disagree from just the folks here(though admittedly not representative) - I'd say least me, kav, HoT and Flink are interested but certainly on the fence from the posts so far. I like the promise of the system - but right now it isn't a day one or guaranteed purchase for me until I know a significant amount more about it.

I'll still be buying it day 1 ( it's a Nintendo console after all ) but that doesn't mean to say that I like how they've handled the reveal of the thing.

Yeah likewise. I want much more info, I'm disappointed that I haven't seen more games or that the information isn't more concrete. I'm sure there's some internal issue, licensing or such, that's tying them up - they're not just holding out for the sake of it. Despite that, I'll be pre-ordering it ASAP because the quality of the design and lack of gimmickry gives me confidence that they might be mending their approach, and it looks like a great item in and of itself.