NEurope
drahkon

The 'Other' Switch Thread

DAY 1 for me!

Cannot wait!

If the system has great online capabilities (party chat) then I can see me prioritising 3rd party games for this over the PS4 and using the PS4 to mop up the rest.

If the system turns out shit - then no biggie. I've got a PS4.

I love your optimism regarding third parties. There's no guarantee whatsoever that they're going to be there from day 1 and there's nothing to say that they'll still be there (if they do jump aboard at the start) in 3 or 4 years time.

Ha I want that to be their official tagline.

Ha I want that to be their official tagline.

To be honest thats actually a good thing and maybe something nintendo have already considered - For years Nintendo consoles have been relegated into second console territory for most gamer, which inevitable end up being a choice between a handheld and a second console. Well the Switch if all else fails can fall into that position and fill that void

Now if its actually a contender as Blade hopes (me too to be honest) with ports then it could also leech from the primary console market, the gamers who look for that console experience, but like the added option of portability.

If it it took anyones market share its likely Microsofts, Sony have VR that give them a USP, Xbox really lacks that now, especially with dual releases on PC

Being the hybrid that it is, I wonder if down the line something similar to the Samsung Gear VR could become available. Take it out the dock, slide it into a headset and grab the controllers and have fun.

Trailer fell a bit flat for me but that could be for several reasons. The first being I had an awful commute to London this morning and then was trapped at uni due to a controlled detonation a mere 300 metres away at North Greenwich tube station! The other being I felt liked I'd already seen it all. What with the leaks and most of the games being ports I didn't actually see anything new. (Bar the 5 seconds of a new Mario.)

And as I mentioned before the reveal: I'm not keen on portable gaming so for me it'd always be docked, which makes that huge screen pretty pointless.

The small controllers looked awful and would anyone really want to take that out to a party? Looks like an accident waiting to happen!

Still, I'll keep an open mind and see what games they reveal before launch. If they unveiled a new Metroid then I'd consider it. But in all likelihood I'll wait a few years until all the games are released and play them all together. :)

On the plus side this should be very cheap. Its effectively like a cheap phone hardware wise.

This what the WiiU should've been. Part of me thinks Nintendo are 5 or 6 years too late with this. It's a decent bit of kit but nothing to wow me.

For me to get it, Party Chat is a must. If it doesn't have it, I don't buy it!

Now that the dust has settled I can give my thoughts on the Switch. Seeing as they are not crazy hyped up ones, I figure this thread would be the best for them, as to not bring the tone of the other thread done.

The presentation itself was good. It had a clear message about what the product is, didn't seem to pander to a certain audience and done a good job of showing the capabilities of the console. That is all I can really say in terms of being positive. Oh, seeing Mario was a great moment as well. :D

People seem to be going nuts over the thing. While there's nothing wrong with being excited for a new console, when you've had such a history as Nintendo has then I find it baffling that people have simply forgotten what a mess the Wii U was and, to a certain extent, the Wii was.

The games they chose to show was a bit weird. Mario Kart 8.5, Splatoon 1.5, Skyrim, NBA, Zelda and Mario. As I said, I was happy with seeing Mario for a split second but the rest are all ports or enhanced versions of games. I would have thought Nintendo would have used those titles as filler, rather than headlining their console reveal.

In terms of 3rd party support, while it was nice to see a logo of everyone who is apparently on board, are these developers actually going to show up and show support for the console or is it a Wii U situation where they say one thing, wait on the sidelines and then bail ASAP? Having Skyrim show off the support was a bit weird, even more now that Bethesda said they aren't confirming anything yet. Maybe they can't talk about it yet? I mean the game will be around 6 months old already when it arrives on Switch and I doubt that it will be supporting the Mod support that the other two consoles have.

This brings me to another problem which is just what significant 3rd party games are we going to get at launch. Nintendo have completely missed the boat in terms of 3rd party gaming releases. FIFA, CoD, WatchDogs 2, Battlefield 1, Final Fantasy XV, Tomb Raider etc. have all been released or going to be released in the run up to Christmas. If these do get ported over then what incentive is there to buy them again or wait until the Switch version shows up? I would say it would be best for developers to speak about the Switch version to show why they will be worth the wait but it seems they still have a muzzle over them, with no one really talking about what support is going to be there.

While I appreciate finally seeing the Switch, I feel the that giving people a look at it and then closing up shop again until who knows when ( reports are coming out this morning that nothing else will be shown or discussed until next year now ) is a massive tease and leaves people wondering just what is going to be there on day 1. If these reports are true then that only gives Nintendo 3 months to show what games will be there and why people should be saving up for the thing.

The presentation also left me with a lot of questions, most of which a few of us on here have been wondering for a long time. What will the OS be like? Will VC purchases carry over? Will there be voice chat? Has their attitude towards online gaming changed? None of these were answered and by the looks of it we may have to wait another couple of months before any of these are addressed.

The detachable controllers look like an absolute pain in the backside to use. How small do they think people's hands are? Luckily this will never effect me as I have no intention of using it like that, especially when a regular controller is on offer.

In closing, this may come across as negative but I feel its just more about me being a skeptic. I enjoy me Wii U and still play on it to this day but it was a disaster in terms of online gaming and 3rd party support. While the messaging is a lot clearer this time, the problems I have with the Wii U have not yet been addressed by the Switch.

I think people need to keep their expectations in check, especially after coming off of the Wii U. It will be interesting to see just how the excitement holds once more details finally start trickling out and people start to question certain things. Once again, i'm happy to finally see it unveiled but I remain very cautious until I see something more substantial from Nintendo.

@dazzybee

Are you going to buy it if it doesn't have folders? :wink:

Obviously not. Make a or break for me. I can't believe they never even covered it in the video, do they even know their fans?

Edited by dazzybee

@Hero\-of\-Time

Completely agree.

I was very excited after seeing it yesterday. The trailer was great! :D

Now that I have slept on it I have the exact same questions as you. I have reflected this morning what a disaster the Wii U is/was and that cannot be forgotten. I really want to know what the online infrastructure is and exactly what 3rd party support there is.

The fact people are surprised that the reaction is positive goes to show there's too much prejudice against anyone with a negative opinion on Nintendo. People expect dislike, because they genuinely believe we don't like things "because it's Nintendo".

Of course the reaction to this is going to be mostly positive. It's a good, smart, modern device, showing off the big titles we've not seen for ages and the kind of cross-platform third party support we haven't seen since the Snes.

Yep, @Hero\-of\-Time has said it perfectly.

I think this is what the WiiU should've been but tech wasn't quite ready for it.

It was a clear message, with a name that makes sense - you understand the reason for the name.

But there was nothing that wowed me, nothing that said "all these games can't be done on WiiU"... because let's face it, they could!

Yet the bigger thing, as HoT said, is that they've done absolutely nothing at all to allay any fears about their attitude toward online and social features.

Until there's Party Chat, no more Nintendo consoles for me!

Presumably you don't have to use the controllers in tiny mode. That's only if you want to play with a friend with only one Switch screen. If you and a friend both have one, you have perhaps take your bridged controller over and still play multiplayer with a full sized one?

Yeah I think it's a given using the controllers like that is just for ease of portability, or if you want to put it down like the guy does on the plane in the trailer. I think they make perfect sense for that use.

I agree with everything you said, @Hero\-of\-Time. I'm not massive on handhelds to begin with, so for me that's half of the purpose of the unit that's irrelevant to me right away.

The more I think of this, the more I see that it has in common with the WiiU. It seems like this is what the WiiU was aiming to be, or rather the WiiU was a stepping stone to the Switch. I wasn't sold on the WiiU's concept and I feel very similar this time around.

I will say that the video they showed yesterday was a million times better than the one they used to reveal the WiiU. I'm glad that they've put that branding to bed and are starting fresh. But, to me, the same old problems still exist. Seeing that huge list of developers is all well and good, but talk is cheap. I question over why we were shown Skyrim yesterday and I've already made my thoughts know about that in THE REAL NX THREAD. I'm curious to see what kind of support this system gets. Will we be able to play the next Tomb Raider, Skyrim/Elder Scrolls, FIFA, Battlefield, etc?

For me, nothing has changed. Every single feature that was shown yesterday was seemingly already known about or hinted at months ago anyway. So, it just feels like confirmation of stuff we already knew about. There are no secrets any more thanks to the Internet. I'm tempted to play the long game with this and wait until we're at least 18 months into the console before analysing where things are. Nintendo's last two consoles haven't been great for longevity. I haven't seen anything yet that's made me think that's about to change.

Don't see why the question about Skyrim being shown. It's the perfect upcoming release to say "we're gonna have what everyone else has, now". The Skyrim remaster is out soon, it's a peak-technology, easily recognisable current-gen console game. PS4 and Xbox revisions are coming but new systems are not on the horizon. That means the Switch should be able to compete and finally play all cross-platform third party titles for the foreseeable future.

I'm super excited about this thing, I really want it. My only disappointment is in how cagey they're being about it.

Don't see why the question about Skyrim being shown. It's the perfect upcoming release to say "we're gonna have what everyone else has, now". The Skyrim remaster is out soon, it's a peak-technology, easily recognisable current-gen console game. PS4 and Xbox revisions are coming but new systems are not on the horizon. That means the Switch should be able to compete and finally play all cross-platform third party titles for the foreseeable future.

I'm super excited about this thing, I really want it. My only disappointment is in how cagey they're being about it.

Bethesda have refused to confirm Skyrim is coming and just chose to say that they'll reveal any titles in the works at a later date. They just pledged support and helped out with the reveal trailer.

Skyrim being shown was confirming Bethesda support as opposed to Skyrim itself.

Looks like we won't see more news anytime soon...

"We will make additional announcements about the Nintendo Switch hardware later, before the launch of the product."

Source

Why? After that trailer it would've been great to get a list of specs and features.

As it is now I'm losing interest again. ::shrug: It's so frustrating with Nintendo. For everything they do right, they make more mistakes...

They need to get the specs out way before Christmas. I fear for Nintendo that people will spend their savings on devices already available, and even moreso if they don't know about what exactly the Switch will provide.

Why? After that trailer it would've been great to get a list of specs and features.

Apparently these are the rumoured specs, though I don't know how accurate they are...

CPU:

Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, maximum 2 GHz

L2 cache, 2 MB

64-bit ARMv8

Crypto extension enabled

GPU:

NVIDIA second-generation Maxwell architecture

256 CUDA cores, maximum 1 GHz

1024 FLOPS/cycle

Texture: 16 pixels/cycle

Fill: 14.4 pixels/cycle

Main memory:

Capacity of 4 GB

Bandwidth: 25.6 GB/s

VRAM: shared

System Memory:

Capacity: 32 GB, Maximum transfer rate: 400 MB/s

USB

USB 2.0 and 3.0

Video Output

60 fps, at a maximum of 1920×1080 pixels

Or 30 fps at 3840×2160 pixels

The screen:

6.2" IPS LCD, 1280×720 pixels

Capacitance method, 10-point multi-touch

I don't confess to knowing much regarding specs but they don't sound out of the realms of possibility after what we've seen. :)

If they just showed nintendogames it's be - where are the third parties. They show some third parties it's - don't believe them!! Can. Not. Win!

Understand the skepticism, but sometimes my eyes do roll... And for specs and such, do you really think people care that much? I'm not so sure.

Also losing interest less than 24 hours after unveiling it... So need more info.... Some serious ADHD! Ultimately I don't think it matters, though it is frustrating, I want more too, but everyone said they didn't care and 'fete it too ate, but everyone cares again when they unveil it, the same thing will happen when they start announcing games, whether that's next week or January, not going to have any impact other than on our thirst for immediate knowledge and getting what we want NOW!!

And didn't they say on games and specs for next year? Still a hope that features and functions could be spoken about. And third parties will no doubt start announcing games.

Understand the skepticism, but sometimes my eyes do roll... And for specs and such, do you really think people care that much? I'm not so sure.

I think they do when it comes to multiplatform games. No one wants to play an inferior version of a game. As mentioned in the other thread, this is what I think will limit it as a home console. Again though, I think it's a pretty decent looking handheld.

I think they do when it comes to multiplatform games. No one wants to play an inferior version of a game. As mentioned in the other thread, this is what I think will limit it as a home console. Again though, I think it's a pretty decent looking handheld.

Yeah, and maybe that's the decision - a slightly lesser home console version but you can play on the go. Or a better home console version. That's a decent option though nintendo are providing I think.

I think the portability of the tablet has to be questioned too.

Is this a viable replacement for a handheld? It's always going to require its own carry case/backpack. Is that why we don't know for sure what the future of the 3DS is? Can we realistically see Japan replacing their 3DS/Vita's/PSP's with this on the train?

If they just showed nintendogames it's be - where are the third parties. They show some third parties it's - don't believe them!! Can. Not. Win!...

Well after NBA and Skyrim were both "unannounced" for the Switch people have a right to worry once more. To allay our fears they should have announced games that were coming!