NEurope
drahkon

The 'Other' Switch Thread

We all have ideas as to what we think Nintendo should do and can't quite understand the prolonged and ongoing silence but they surely have some sort of plan in place that they feel will yield the best results so we ultimately have to be patient and see what happens.

I predict the silence will be broken this week :grin:

Given what happened with the Wii U, you'll have to excuse if I remain skeptical. :D

I think this image sums up my feelings at the moment...

I-Want-To-Believe-Thumb-1000x1000.jpg

:p

I really do want to believe, but it's Nintendo so this could go either, any or which way they choose. ::shrug:

Detachable controllers are low budget. Very cheap (like the Wii nunchuck).

:nono: If that's true, then that's me out for paying full price. I hate Nintendo's hardware build quality; it's horribly cheap. Second hand NX at a low price, here I come.

Thank God they're ditching the Wii/DS brand. They need a fresh start and it looks like they have one. :)

I'd forgotten this thread existed until Kaepora_Gaebora moaned about it in the other thread.

Seeing as this is usually the better place to have conversation (and the other NX thread has been a shit show for the past day or so) I'll ask here.

What are you guys actually hoping the NX will be? We've all mentioned the usual things like having system level features would be standard now but as a whole package, games included, what do you want?

For me at the moment, assuming that all the basic rumours are true regarding home and portable use, I would want a system that is at least comparable to the current generation, even if its only comparable when used at home but I wouldnt want any reduced features when I took it portable. It could look slightly worse but I would want to be playing the same game wherever.

I dont think there was anything particularly wrong with the Wii U OS design but personally I would want them to move away from the more kiddy-ish stuff and just provide a nice, sleek OS to use. No folders though :p

A subscription service for the Virtual Console would be amazing and one of my top picks. I own a lot of physical old games as part of my collection but its always a hassle to install them and I never bought any for the Wii or Wii U because I didnt trust their god awful account services so a subscription service would be perfect.

Games-wise. I've gotten a bit bored with Nintendo games over the past few years, less so with the handhelds so I guess I would want it to lean more in that direction. To be honest I'm not even sure what that means. Its probably because I've never really liked the 3D versions of Mario or Zelda (preferring the 2D ones). I am still planning on getting the new Zelda but as of yet I have no idea which platform I will be going for.

What are you guys actually hoping the NX will be?

A portable that's more powerful than the Vita that can be plugged in to the TV with a steady first party software output.

Ive been asking myself this question a lot and I cant really settle on and answer. One thing I do want is fpr it to be a far more cloud based offering. If it turns out that Nintendo still cant provide an online system that isnt directly tied to hardware ids then I may give it a miss. Ive got tired of feeling like im getting robbed any time a buy a VC game as they are top expensive in my opinion anyway and then to be robbed again when they essentially delete your library next gen.

I like the hybrid idea but I'm staying to wonder if the handheld part should just be a phone. Everyone has one and it would massively open the audience.

Annoyingly as a combination of Giant Bomb talking about how great the SNES was in an old video I'm watching and me talking about the Virtual Console....I'm now looking on eBay to buy a load more SNES carts.

Not everyone has a phone though, or a new enough phone.

Honestly I want to see Nintendo have a return to form. Quit trying to invent problems to fix, and just make a console people want. There is no shame in them looking at what their competitors are doing successfully. Actual online infrastructure that doesn't get shitcanned every generation. Party chat, because if they truly want to push the social aspect of gaming that is a huge thing. Steady games, if not first party publish third parties even better, actual real timely third party releases. Not months after, not years old ports, same day games. So of course power is also important.

The hybrid thing intrigues me in a small way but honestly I just don't care. When I play a handheld game I'm almost always at home. So the same thing would happen with this and it's what I do with the Wii U. Play the small screen and watch TV on the big one.

Not everyone has a phone though, or a new enough phone.

Pretty sure that more people have the latest model of iphone compared to the combined userbase of the wii, Ds, 3DS and Wii U. It would make for a reasonable business decision.

Honestly I want to see Nintendo have a return to form. Quit trying to invent problems to fix, and just make a console people want. There is no shame in them looking at what their competitors are doing successfully. Actual online infrastructure that doesn't get shitcanned every generation. Party chat, because if they truly want to push the social aspect of gaming that is a huge thing. Steady games, if not first party publish third parties even better, actual real timely third party releases. Not months after, not years old ports, same day games. So of course power is also important.

Agree on all points!

Seeing as this is usually the better place to have conversation (and the other NX thread has been a shit show for the past day or so) I'll ask here.

What are you guys actually hoping the NX will be? We've all mentioned the usual things like having system level features would be standard now but as a whole package, games included, what do you want?

Instead of retreating to this thread, could this question not have been asked in the main NX thread to invite discussion and help deviate from the current issues there..? ::shrug:

What I basically want are quality games and a convenient control scheme that makes sense :smile:

Instead of retreating to this thread, could this question not have been asked in the main NX thread to invite discussion and help deviate from the current issues there..?

People have tried to have conversations in there but every time another console gets brought up all hell breaks loose. In here it seems comparisons can be discussed without the thread falling apart.

Instead of retreating to this thread, could this question not have been asked in the main NX thread to invite discussion and help deviate from the current issues there..? ::shrug:

Honestly at this point I just don't want to. I'm not here to help fix the threads, that's for mods and admins. I'd rather chat about it in a thread where people won't get attacked for even a slightly negative opinion.

I packed my WiiU away in the loft today. Haven't used it in many months, and it's been unplugged since at least June.

I'm obviously still curious about NX but in the same way you'd be curious about the new album of a band you used to love immensely, but whose last few albums have been dogshite.

I packed my WiiU away in the loft today. Haven't used it in many months, and it's been unplugged since at least June.

I'm obviously still curious about NX but in the same way you'd be curious about the new album of a band you used to love immensely, but whose last few albums have been dogshite.

I tend to be the same at the moment, its more curiosity than anything. When the announcement finally comes in 2018 I could get really excited though, who knows?

My Wii U is unplugged but still on my desk as I wanted to get back to Tokyo Mirage Sessions at some point. I just have such a big backlog at the moment to get through!

...What are you guys actually hoping the NX will be? We've all mentioned the usual things like having system level features would be standard now but as a whole package, games included, what do you want?

I'd like a hybrid in the sense that the NX is two devices that are actually one console.

The first device is the "portable" part of the device and is where you insert the cartridges. It's a fairly powerful machine, powerful for a portable for sure, at least allowing enough for a relatively decent battery too.

When playing at home, you detach the controllers and connect the portable to the second part of the device, the "dock", which is the Supplementary Computing Device (SCD) we saw the patent for. So the two devices combined form the "home console" which then has increased power thanks to the SCD, power in the same breadth as the other consoles and it also has more functions/features.

So the handheld has similar features to the 3DS, but when plugged into the dock it's range of features increase... Party Chat, Netflix, game recording/streaming etc. What you'd expect from a home console basically.

Subscription service for Virtual Console for sure, like Netflix but full of Nintendo greats.

I'm ok with their games generally, but would like online when a game is multiplayer and I'd like to see them bring back Waverace, 1080 and F-Zero. I'd like to see new IP and a greater focus on narrative in some games, Zelda and Metroid for example (gameplay doesn't need to be sacrificed for this, not sure why some say it does).

Lastly, I'd like 3rd Party parity with the other consoles.

So the two devices combined form the "home console" which then has increased power thanks to the SCD, power in the same breadth as the other consoles and it also has more functions/features.

I love the way you describe it. Makes it sound like a really shit Megazord.

For what its worth Im with you guys who took the initiative to make this thread, proof is in the pudding, its definitely less hostile than the main one.

For what its worth Im with you guys who took the initiative to make this thread, proof is in the pudding, its definitely less hostile than the main one.

Shut the fuck up.

:p

I love the way you describe it. Makes it sound like a really shit Megazord.

I'm just picturing a new age Super Gameboy attachment basically.

You guys have seen the patent right?

Negative. Or maybe. I don't know.

TBH I can't be arsed with any such 'hybrid' - when I do play portable games its usually at home, especially 'heavy' portable games like the Zelda remakes and Pokemon. And I think that sort of handheld gaming is definitely on the decline. With online gaming on the rise, I think people are more than happy to keep gaming within the comfortable home - especially with the weather temperament of northern Europe.

Motion controls were a real noteworthy addition to the scene, and off-screen gameplay piqued my interest (and if the range of use was improved so I could play in bed away from the sitting room, I would have been sold) - But the idea of a hybrid just doesn't appeal to me and I would wager a lot of gamers feel the same.

TBH I can't be arsed with any such 'hybrid' - when I do play portable games its usually at home, especially 'heavy' portable games like the Zelda remakes and Pokemon. And I think that sort of handheld gaming is definitely on the decline. With online gaming on the rise, I think people are more than happy to keep gaming within the comfortable home - especially with the weather temperament of northern Europe.

Motion controls were a real noteworthy addition to the scene, and off-screen gameplay piqued my interest (and if the range of use was improved so I could play in bed away from the sitting room, I would have been sold) - But the idea of a hybrid just doesn't appeal to me and I would wager a lot of gamers feel the same.

I'm not sure I quite understand your lack of enthusiasm for the idea of a hybrid when the rumours of detachable motion controls and ability to take your games with you on the go (and to your bed, as you wish) seems to be something you'd be interested in. Am I missing something..?

Solar panels and The Powerglove V2.

"Now your playing with Solar Power"

Edited by Cookyman
Automerged Doublepost

I'm not sure I quite understand your lack of enthusiasm for the idea of a hybrid when the rumours of detachable motion controls and ability to take your games with you on the go (and to your bed, as you wish) seems to be something you'd be interested in. Am I missing something..?

Mainly because its not a big enough incentive for me - for example I really wouldn't care about off-screen play (and the advent of playing a console game in bed) if the Wii U came with a standard controller and was therefore lower in price.

Im really not asking for the ability to play my console games on the go, especially when the experience becomes nerfed, either technically or in gameplay.

I would prefer a standard console and controller set-up over both a hybrid/off-screen play and motion controls. Hope thats clear enough.