NEurope
drahkon

The 'Other' Switch Thread

I would prefer a standard console and controller set-up over both a hybrid/off-screen play and motion controls. Hope thats clear enough.

There's certainly no harm in wanting that :smile: In fact, the Wii U Gamepad is discouraging me from playing the console at the moment, for whatever reason. It's not what I wanted when 'Project Café' was a thing but I grew to appreciate it in certain games for the Wii U but likewise wouldn't miss it if it was gone!

For NX, I want an improved Wii Remote and Nunchuk setup with more face buttons and analogue triggers to accommodate all different types of games and negate the need for purchasing classic controllers and the like.

Less convolution would be great overall but the speculation suggests there could well be various control schemes yet again.

For NX, I want an improved Wii Remote and Nunchuk setup with more face buttons and analogue triggers to accommodate all different types of games and negate the need for purchasing classic controllers and the like.

Less convolution would be great overall but the speculation suggests there could well be various control schemes yet again.

TBH as much as I prefered a standard set-up even during the Wii and welcomed the gamepad on this principle, I learned to appreciate motion controls and found it bizzare that Nintendo did not advance and continue the technology for the Wii U - Basically a HD Wii.

The whole gamepad confusion would have been avoided and would make better sense in terms of continuity.

Its these moves Nintendo makes that make me lose confidence in their direction - I see the whole hybrid theory as another risk.

TBH as much as I prefered a standard set-up even during the Wii and welcomed the gamepad on this principle, I learned to appreciate motion controls and found it bizzare that Nintendo did not advance and continue the technology for the Wii U - Basically a HD Wii.

The whole gamepad confusion would have been avoided and would make better sense in terms of continuity.

Its these moves Nintendo makes that make me lose confidence in their direction - I see the whole hybrid theory as another risk.

The much-maligned Michael Pachter was calling for a Wii HD in what must have been about 2009. In hindsight, it might not have been a bad idea :eek:

The much-maligned Michael Pachter was calling for a Wii HD in what must have been about 2009. In hindsight, it might not have been a bad idea :eek:

That move would have perhaps balanced the generational gap in terms of aligning the release of the NX with the other consoles release. :hmm:

(Dammit guys! As I said in the other thread I acknowledge there's an issue at hand here but just because you've been asked not to push it in there doesn't mean you should come do it here! I don't mod here(yet, but if you keep this up I'll ask for it!) and the good-natured humour is a fair relief for you with the last day or two but please still be mindful of yourselves. It's quite clear when you're trying to have a dig so just ask yourself next time before hitting the button - is posting that going to make things better or worse for the forum?)

I'd like a hybrid in the sense that the NX is two devices that are actually one console.

The first device is the "portable" part of the device and is where you insert the cartridges. It's a fairly powerful machine, powerful for a portable for sure, at least allowing enough for a relatively decent battery too.

When playing at home, you detach the controllers and connect the portable to the second part of the device, the "dock", which is the Supplementary Computing Device (SCD) we saw the patent for. So the two devices combined form the "home console" which then has increased power thanks to the SCD, power in the same breadth as the other consoles and it also has more functions/features.

So the handheld has similar features to the 3DS, but when plugged into the dock it's range of features increase... Party Chat, Netflix, game recording/streaming etc. What you'd expect from a home console basically.

Subscription service for Virtual Console for sure, like Netflix but full of Nintendo greats.

I'm ok with their games generally, but would like online when a game is multiplayer and I'd like to see them bring back Waverace, 1080 and F-Zero. I'd like to see new IP and a greater focus on narrative in some games, Zelda and Metroid for example (gameplay doesn't need to be sacrificed for this, not sure why some say it does).

Lastly, I'd like 3rd Party parity with the other consoles.

Tbh this was more my original expectation of the NX, and though I've gone more to the rumours King_V posted in the other thread being true of it being more of a portable first with a dongle, I'd quite like the idea of having a machine that's maybe a bit more beast at home/in dock mode but still good enough to run as a handheld. The one thing I *don't* want - a gimped handheld experience. I want to have a full choice for the game I'm playing whether it's on the go or on the TV and the essential experience not being different between the two. I don't mind if they do specific home/handheld things that functionally make sense, but I don't want to feel like something's gotta give for the handheld experience except maybe graphics.

EDIT: Just thinking thought @kav82 - if it IS a single system rather than two parts; it means you could have voice chat/online on the handheld wherever you are, surely? Ofc I've already said I'd like a robust online system on par with the competition - I'd not mind forgoing the functionality on the handheld portion IF we get it at home with the dock BUT the idea of a handheld with the same full capabilities on the go are interesting to consider too!

Edited by Rummy

In two hours we know more. Hopefully :D

Can't say I'm excited, but I am interested. Not expecting much as it's only a teaser/trailer (unless I'm mistaken), though.

Let's see what Nintendo can do in 3 minutes. Will they answer a lot of questions already, or wait for the full reveal (direct?), or even raise new questions?

By the way, Mario sure is creepy...

CvLJ71-XgAAzD4y.jpg

Yeah definitely still more curiosity than excitement for me. It'd be nice if this reveal actually does impress though. I'd love to actually get excited for the new machine.

It'd be nice if this reveal actually does impress though. I'd love to actually get excited for the new machine.

Same here. Would love to have something to look forward to until I get the device in one or two years (unless the NX seems to be amazing and the price will be incredibly low :D).

Isn't the trailer tomorrow at 3pm??

I'm not hyped at the moment, after so long and so many Nintendo let down I'm not really sure how you can be... but I expect to be following the video! :)

Also, unless the system is somehow compromised, I'm guaranteed to buy it anyway for Zelda.

Isn't the trailer tomorrow at 3pm??

I'm not hyped at the moment, after so long and so many Nintendo let down I'm not really sure how you can be... but I expect to be following the video! :)

Also, unless the system is somehow compromised, I'm guaranteed to buy it anyway for Zelda.

Nope, today

Keep up! ;)

I've realised I don't care what this system is. Don't care if it's 3D, 4k, backwards compatible. Portable, home console, hybrid. Online, offline, New Wii U. VR, AR, Dreamcast 2.

I only want to see my favourite games come back.

Keep up! ;)

I've realised I don't care what this system is. Don't care if it's 3D, 4k, backwards compatible. Portable, home console, hybrid. Online, offline, New Wii U. VR, AR, Dreamcast 2.

WipeOut?!

Oh...yeah...

Keep up! ;)

I'm with you there. Mostly.

I just want Nintendo to show that there's more to them than Mario and Zelda. If we see a snippet of a New Super Mario Bros. type game, I'll cry.

I'm with you there. Mostly.

I just want Nintendo to show that there's more to them than Mario and Zelda. If we see a snippet of a New Super Mario Bros. type game, I'll cry.

Yeah but what if we got New New Super Mario Bros?

No way we'll see anything other than Zelda and Mario today. I do hope that after the full reveal we'll see at least two new Nintendo IPs that will be released shortly after the console release.

How new are we talking?

So new that they are pulling another Super Mario Bros 2 and just putting Mario sprites in another game. Red Mario Redemption 2.

No way we'll see anything other than Zelda and Mario today. I do hope that after the full reveal we'll see at least two new Nintendo IPs that will be released shortly after the console release.
Seeing a new Mario is one thing. Seeing the new Mario be New Super Mario Bros. NX is something else entirely.

So new that they are pulling another Super Mario Bros 2 and just putting Mario sprites in another game. Red Mario Redemption 2.

mario_curtain_red_dead_1.gif

Seeing a new Mario is one thing. Seeing the new Mario be New Super Mario Bros. NX is something else entirely.

I guess you're right. I would absolutely hate a New Super Mario Bros. NX...

Edited by Ashley

Speaking of Super Mario Bros 2. Would anyone want a New Super Mario Bros game in that world? I'd kind of like to see what it would be like.

In fact thinking about it, thats how I wish the 'New' series had gone. Moving on from one old Mario game to the next.

I just want a new 2D Super Mario World with HD graphics but close to the old art style. That's all I've ever wanted...

I've never been able to get into Super Mario World properly. I absolutely loved 1 and 3 on the NES but then moved onto the Mega Drive instead of the SNES and when I came back years later I found the controls way too floaty.

I've never been able to get into Super Mario World properly.

It was my very first console game so it's probably the nostalgia speaking but Super Mario World is still (with Rayman Legends) my favourite game of all time. I complete it every year during the Christmas Days :)