NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2016/17

Awful idea. There are too many god awful teams in the qualifying rounds. Personally I think it should be like the FA Cup, all these really low ranked, part time national teams play each other, and reduce the qualification groups for the higher ranked teams. Bit harsh maybe, but it's pointless and part of the reason people have fallen out of love of the national game. Expanding it will make it even more appalling.

Just look at how respected the Europa league isn't. When any two bob team can get in, it reduces how special it is.

Why don't we just let the top European teams in. Clubs that have a history in it and get there regularly. So no Spurs because they arne't deemed big enough.

Small teams should have just as much of a chance to get to the World Cup as big ones. Everyone should be on equal footing in qualifying.

The Europa League is respected outside of the UK. It's only English clubs that think of it as a waste of time.

It's every footballing country's dream to win the World Cup. There isn't a bigger competition and imagine what it must mean to the people of these countries to be given the opportunity to participate within it. Football is a global game.

However, I'm not sold on the new format plans. I guess I'm in the "right idea, unsure about the execution" camp.

I have to disagree with @dazzybee's bit about people falling out of love with the game. The English have fallen out of love because the whole England set-up is a sham with no real willingness to move with the times and with a reluctance for new ideas. England are predictable and have become stagnant. We'll see how the next tournament goes but I don't think this new tournament format will increase or decrease England's chances of winning because England are the masters of their own downfall. Harsh maybe, but true.

Why don't we just let the top European teams in. Clubs that have a history in it and get there regularly. So no Spurs because they arne't deemed big enough.

Small teams should have just as much of a chance to get to the World Cup as big ones. Everyone should be on equal footing in qualifying.

The Europa League is respected outside of the UK. It's only English clubs that think of it as a waste of time.

Do we always have to resort to sarcy replies to have digs at each other?

No history? Do you know who the first British club to win a European trophy was?

But this isn't what I mean. I'm just saying there should be an earlier round for the smaller clubs and the winners of this go through. Is that really such a bad idea? Do you want premiere league clubs to start the FA Cup in round 1 too?

I have to disagree with @dazzybee's bit about people falling out of love with the game. The English have fallen out of love because the whole England set-up is a sham with no real willingness to move with the times and with a reluctance for new ideas. England are predictable and have become stagnant. We'll see how the next tournament goes but I don't think this new tournament format will increase or decrease England's chances of winning because England are the masters of their own downfall. Harsh maybe, but true.

That may be so, I borderline hate international football now and know a lot of people feel the same, but yeah, the awful England set up of the last 10 or so years doesn't help. But just feel there are too many games, interrupts the premiere league too much, and do teams really get a kick out of battering San Marino and such constantly? Do THEY get anything out of it? Wouldn't it be better for smaller teams to be in groups of teams closer to their level, maybe then they could get some goals, get some wins etc And develop and grow before progressing.

Edited by dazzybee

That may be so, I borderline hate international football now and know a lot of people feel the same, but yeah, the awful England set up of the last 10 or so years doesn't help. But just feel there are too many games, interrupts the premiere league too much, and do teams really get a kick out of battering San Marino and such constantly? Do THEY get anything out of it? Wouldn't it be better for smaller teams to be in groups of teams closer to their level, maybe then they could get some goals, get some wins etc And develop and grow before progressing.

I agree about the international games breaking the flow of league fixtures, but I also can't think of a solution around this unless they ended the league earlier and did all of the international games at the end of the season. Logistically, I don't think it would be possible.

The only real way that these smaller countries will improve is by changing their infrastructure and pumping more money into the grass roots level of the game. I do see your point about playing in games that are closer to their ability level, but again I don't know if that's possible due to how the groups/qualifying rounds are drawn up.

It does need looking at and I'm not convinced that FIFA have come up with the best solution with their changes to the format. But, I agree with the initial idea in that the cup should be opened up to more countries. We'll see what happens.

I agree about the international games breaking the flow of league fixtures, but I also can't think of a solution around this unless they ended the league earlier and did all of the international games at the end of the season. Logistically, I don't think it would be possible.

The only real way that these smaller countries will improve is by changing their infrastructure and pumping more money into the grass roots level of the game. I do see your point about playing in games that are closer to their ability level, but again I don't know if that's possible due to how the groups/qualifying rounds are drawn up.

It does need looking at and I'm not convinced that FIFA have come up with the best solution with their changes to the format. But, I agree with the initial idea in that the cup should be opened up to more countries. We'll see what happens.

I'm still torn over this issue. I enjoyed the Euros and absolutely loved seeing teams like Iceland, Hungary and Albania playing and performing well on such a big stage. I agree that International football should be about more than the European and South American elite. Watching Ghana almost make it to the semis in 2010 is a memory that will stay with me for a long time.

I think it needs to be done properly though, and what FIFA have offered as a solution isn't good enough. Three team groups is a terrible idea that will lead to collusion whether they like it or not. 3 teams going though out of 4 is also a terrible idea, as we saw at the Euros, teams will just play for a draw.

They need to drastically reduce the number of pointless qualifying games in Europe. For example, maybe have groups of four or five instead of six, or have pre-rounds with the lowest ranked teams playing each other first before getting the higher ranked teams involved. These are just suggestions, I don't know what the best solution is. Some may argue that having San Marino, Andorra etc just playing each other wouldn't lead to them improving, but almost every other confederation has this system or something similar, bar South America.

Do we always have to resort to sarcy replies to have digs at each other?...

Absolutely! It's what makes footy banter so much fun! :D

Awful idea. There are too many god awful teams in the qualifying rounds. Personally I think it should be like the FA Cup, all these really low ranked, part time national teams play each other, and reduce the qualification groups for the higher ranked teams. Bit harsh maybe, but it's pointless and part of the reason people have fallen out of love of the national game. Expanding it will make it even more appalling.

Just look at how respected the Europa league isn't. When any two bob team can get in, it reduces how special it is.

I've always thought this; the teams like Faroe Islands, San Marino, Andorra etc should have a pre qualifying round to get to the qualifiers when the tournaments are on. Not only would it stop the pointless cricket scores but would help those teams actually get goals and wins!!! And maybe help improve them.

Fucks sake Liverpool. Had a bet saying they, Chelsea and Arsenal would all win this weekend and they fucked up at the first hurdle.

Fucks sake Liverpool. Had a bet saying they, Chelsea and Arsenal would all win this weekend and they fucked up at the first hurdle.

Come on.. you know Liverpool are never a safe bet :nono:

Wooww.. shame there aren't any Man City fans on here - what a game!! Two absolute clangers by Lloris to go two down, great goal by Alli, then Walker has the most outragously brazen push on a through-on-goal Sterling, who misses... rush up the other side of the pitch and Sonny gets the equaliser!

Finish the game with two mids in central defence to top it off! Cheekiest point I've seen in ages! All for Chelsea to lose after today's results though.

Wooww.. shame there aren't any Man City fans on here - what a game!! Two absolute clangers by Lloris to go two down, great goal by Alli, then Walker has the most outragously brazen push on a through-on-goal Sterling, who misses... rush up the other side of the pitch and Sonny gets the equaliser!

Finish the game with two mids in central defence to top it off! Cheekiest point I've seen in ages! All for Chelsea to lose after today's results though.

Sterling would probably have missed anyway so, if anything, the push saves him from his own embarrassment :heh:

It was a great game to watch, though, and a draw is exactly what I wanted, especially having saw Liverpool lose to Swansea earlier today (as I expected :hmm:)

Sterling would probably have missed anyway so, if anything, the push saves him from his own embarrassment :heh:

Not sure it works like that. Spurs second goal should not have stood.

He was offside anyway, plus he barely touched him, should've been booked for diving!

He was offside anyway, plus he barely touched him, should've been booked for diving!

Pull the other one. You spent months on here trying to convince people the slightest breath was enough to take Bale down. Sterling was pushed, which made him lose stride and fluff his shot. Walker denied him a goal scoring opportunity. Should have been a penalty and a red card.

Be a bloody man and admit when your team cheats for once.

Because I was being deadly serious....

But it's not cheating, that's a ridiculous thing to say. Diving is cheating, fouling someone isn't cheating. The fact sometimes they're not seen doesn't make it cheating.

Deary me @dazzybee, that's being blinkered mate! Clear foul and red card offence!

It's worse than when Luiz should've been sent off for us against City!

But it's not cheating, that's a ridiculous thing to say. Diving is cheating, fouling someone isn't cheating. The fact sometimes they're not seen doesn't make it cheating.

I'm sorry, what?

How is deliberately fouling someone anything but cheating?!

Sterling was pushed, which made him lose stride and fluff his shot. Walker denied him a goal scoring opportunity. Should have been a penalty and a red card.

I was glad to see the commentators and pundits agree that it should have been a penalty as I often get frustrated when I hear "There's not enough contact" or "He needs to be stronger" when a defender impedes the attacker's ability to score.

If I'm playing football and about to get a shot away, a nudge or clip of the heel can be more than enough to prevent you from performing your action correctly but the defender gets away with it not being a strong enough contact to be seen as punishable. I know that's not the case here but if I've been prevented from scoring a goal because of an action of the defender where they haven't made contact with the ball, it's irritating.

We've had Burnley twice this season. Gutted for Dyche. Massive win for us.

I'm glad we've got a cushion, next couple of games are tricky. I'm just glad we're a lot better collectively since we last played both Arsenal and Liverpool.

Nice to see Coutinho signed a new deal with Liverpool today. Of. Purse it doesn't necessarily mean we will keep him but at least we'd get more money (I do hate having to think like that when a player signs a new contract).

I'm not feeling confident about getting that goal to take this second leg into extra time against Southampton.. :hmm:

So it appears Liverpool were denied a pen before Southampton scored counter attacking from the resulting corner. That must have hurt. Though it wasn't so a good call from the ref.