NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2016/17

Oh My God, the crazy has started!!!

Chelsea clinch £30m deal for N’Golo Kante

Cna7FTlWYAAv44G.jpg

WHY????? :(:shakehead

Why would he go to Chelsea THIS year?? Apart from £££ (€€€€€)!

*BTW me starting this thread had a miraculous effect last season, so here goes!

With Villa being in the Championship this season, I hope Leicester can keep up their great track record under Ranieri and win it for you again Phube!

Kante is a silly sod for wanting to leave though, you would think he'd at least stay for this season and play in the Champions League, but I can see the attraction of playing under Conte. I hope he does well at Chelsea because he seems like a nice guy, but it would have been great to see how the title winning team performed in Europe.

Who do you think you'll be picking up as a replacement? As a Villa fan, I hope we keep hold of Idrissa Gueye, but considering how impressive his stats were in an underperforming team last year, I think he'd be a great replacement for Kante so if he does leave us, I hope it's to go to you guys.

With Villa being in the Championship this season, I hope Leicester can keep up their great track record under Ranieri and win it for you again Phube!

Kante is a silly sod for wanting to leave though, you would think he'd at least stay for this season and play in the Champions League, but I can see the attraction of playing under Conte. I hope he does well at Chelsea because he seems like a nice guy, but it would have been great to see how the title winning team performed in Europe.

Who do you think you'll be picking up as a replacement? As a Villa fan, I hope we keep hold of Idrissa Gueye, but considering how impressive his stats were in an underperforming team last year, I think he'd be a great replacement for Kante so if he does leave us, I hope it's to go to you guys.

We've already go two, obviously no-one is quite like Kante. But we have Nampalys Mendy (just as short as Kante) who is a more playmaker/ball spraying midfielder. And Daniel Amartey a 6ft plus utility CDM, RB, RM who has an engine on him... plus Kingy, Inler, Drinkwater, James...

But still, going to Chelsea, not even in the Champion's League... :hmm:

No idea why he wants to come to us to be honest, but if he does, I certainly won't be complaining. It would probably bring Matic's term at us to a close, though, unless Conte can change his mind. Kante does very much seem the Ladsana Diarra/Claude Makelele type, so he could certainly fit in with us (or any top team in Europe). Personally, I'd have him stay at Leicester. I'm a fan of Chelsea, sure, but I'm also a fan of good football, and he's a major component of what they did last season and how far France got in the Euro's, so it would be a shame to see a player of his quality to leave (especially just for money).

On another note, forget Middlesbrough trying to stay up; they're building a team for the Europa League (at least!).

Edited by Julius Caesar

I'm not happy. We're 4 weeks from the start of the season and signed one proper player and one lad who won't even feature in the first team. Arsenal football club are becoming a joke. They were quick to take my season ticket renewal, not so quick to use it to good effect. If Arsene doesn't sign at least two more players there will be a lot more grief this season.

I scratch my head with Arsenal. Every club around us is improving massively. We've signed one player, we've lost Rosicky and Arteta and signed one striker who is clearly the next Sanogo. The majority of our "best" players won't start the season till late because of the EURO's and we've got Walcott to start up front. The sooner Wenger goes the better.

Isn't this start/pre-season the same as any other year for Arsenal? I don't see any real difference.

I can understand Leicester wanting to sell Kante, but I would also prefer for him to stay at the club. He's earned his right to play Champions League football and it's better for the league, for the club and personally for him to stay an extra season. But, if he doesn't have as good a season as he had last year, there's a chance his value will decrease. What Leicester don't want is a situation where 4 or 5 of their players leave. Basically, Southampton. (Can't believe Pelle has left...)

Isn't this start/pre-season the same as any other year for Arsenal? I don't see any real difference.

I can understand Leicester wanting to sell Kante, but I would also prefer for him to stay at the club. He's earned his right to play Champions League football and it's better for the league, for the club and personally for him to stay an extra season. But, if he doesn't have as good a season as he had last year, there's a chance his value will decrease. What Leicester don't want is a situation where 4 or 5 of their players leave. Basically, Southampton. (Can't believe Pelle has left...)

Just because there's no difference, doesn't make it any better.

I'm glad we've got Kante as he's a great player... but why leave Leicester for us this year?! I can't believe he's giving up Champions League footy this season. Madness!

Reports today that Mahrez is following Kante out the door. Massively disappointing! Glad they've clung on to Vardy at least.

Pleased with our recruitment so far - Janssen looks a great buy, Wanyama likewise. Start of the season will be massive, given half our squad effectively majorly collapsed twice in the last three months..

It never use to be like this Wenger use to get his business done early. Then the stadium happened. And the bullshit began.

It never use to be like this Wenger use to get his business done early. Then the stadium happened. And the bullshit began.

It really feels like Vardy was the only plan. That didn't work out, so we're left scrambling to find players.

It's really not helped by the fact we'll likely be missing half our first choice starting lineup on the first day of the season.

No disrespect to Leicester or Vardy (I wanted us to sign him and no doubt they are chuffed he stayed). But if Jamie Vardy is your only plan for a club the size of Arsenal. Then there is major problems.

I went to a fan thing at the stadium in June, the CEO Ivan Gazidis was there. He hinted that the club had learnt from last year and we had a plan. We don't. We're fucked.

Just because there's no difference, doesn't make it any better.

Oh, I know. But, that's the way things are now and it's how things will continue to be as long as Wenger is here. You'll have stability (which is something that isn't guaranteed when he eventually goes), but it means that you'll have to put up with "his ways". Personally, I think the longer he stays, the more he will continue to damage his legacy and reputation with the club and its fans.

Yeah, but this is how things are now. It doesn't matter what he used to be like. I've learned that with Van Gaal. Wenger is still a top manager, he probably will bring in one or two players later on, but he will continue to frustrate many.

As much as you won't want to hear it, last year was a huuuuuge opportunity for Arsenal to win the title. This year, City will be much stronger, as will Chelsea (potentially) and United (hopefully). I'm not sure when Arsenal are going to have a better chance to do it again. They have to make serious signings in the summer otherwise they're in trouble, imo. Luckily for them/you, there's still plenty of time. I'm really interested to see who they do sign.

Pre season's been very promising for us so far. Seem to be making shrewd signings (chuffed about Ritchie) in needed positions while offloading deadwood, while having a great manager at the helm who seems to be controlling every aspect of the club well.

Shame we're in the wrong division this year like but oh well.

No disrespect to Leicester or Vardy (I wanted us to sign him and no doubt they are chuffed he stayed). But if Jamie Vardy is your only plan for a club the size of Arsenal. Then there is major problems.

Yeah, especially as the influx of money into the Premier League this season seems to be attracting big names from other top leagues. Arsenal should be looking at spending £100m at least to bring in players with consistent Champions League experience. Wenger should be seriously courting the likes of Benzema and Draxler and turning those long held transfer rumours into a reality. When you signed Ozil and then Sanchez it looked like you were really going to push on and make a statement, but Arsenal have just continued to sign, at best, one marquee signing a year.

I'm looking forward to this season, it could be a real battle for the title between 3 or 4 teams, but Arsenal won't be among them unless they get their act together. What sort of positions are you hoping you'll sign players in?

Arsenal are heavily linked with Lacazette, Higuain and Icardi. I think one of them will be signed but it's just taking a while. Wenger has said multiple times that they need to strengthen.

I'm pleased with Spurs so far, our two biggest squad holes from last year was another striker and a DM cover. We sorted both out quick. Both look to be good signings too. Looks like this week we'll be getting an AM which we also need, ideally I wanted as much of a superstar as we could get who could walk into the first team, I love Lamela, but Eriksen, him and Alli are all quite similar, we need something different. Maybe son can step up after a season.

Now we need another CM as Dembele cover and a CB and we are good to go!! Then bin off Fazio, Bentaleb, Mason, Carroll, Chadli and we won't have even spent that much money either!!!

Arsenal are heavily linked with Lacazette, Higuain and Icardi. I think one of them will be signed but it's just taking a while. Wenger has said multiple times that they need to strengthen.

We won't sign any of them. €90M for Higuain?! Real Madrid offered him on a plate for less than half that before he went to Napoli and Wenger didn't fancy it. Whoever we get in now will not have gelled in time for the season. It's beyond a joke now.

So, Belgium need a new manager for their national team. I reckon I could do it. Easily. EASILY.

Who do you guys think should get the England manager's job. I was against Allardyce 10 years ago, but now I think it wouldn't be such a bad move. He may be perceived as a bit anti-football but I think he's the only one who would select players on form and not reputation.

Who do you guys think should get the England manager's job. I was against Allardyce 10 years ago, but now I think it wouldn't be such a bad move. He may be perceived as a bit anti-football but I think he's the only one who would select players on form and not reputation.

Looks like Big Sam is going to be confirmed as the new England manager then. I think he's the best choice for the job, he's a manager who has been quite single minded and stuck to a philosophy at every club he has been at, but showed at West Ham that he's willing to change if the will of the fans dictates it.

Hopefully that means he will stick to a system that benefits the team as a whole, rather than shoehorning players in where they don't fit. It'll be interesting to see what his first squad is like and whether or not it's radically different to what we saw at the Euros.

I'm all for Big Sam - no Sam, no Leicester Prem win. Simples!